Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

AWE Tuning

Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
osr5dude

Drives: Hyper blue 2016 2SS
SF Bay Area service recommendations?

I've had all my vehicles, new and used, serviced by an awesome local auto shop for the last 15 years. I'm wondering if it's worth using the two free oil changes at a chevy dealer verse paying and getting guaranteed good service.

Are any of the service departments at the dealers around here any good? Yelp reviews for the two closest to me (Momentum and Capitol) don't fill me with confidence that I'll a) get speedy/on-time service and b) actually get mobile 1 full-syn put in.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Abel in Rio Vista. Best service department in the state. Mechanics and service manager are gear heads, and also race prepping cars.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/abel-chevrolet-buick-co-rio-vista
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
Red Leader

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Abel in Rio Vista. Best service department in the state. Mechanics and service manager are gear heads, and also race prepping cars.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/abel-chevrolet-buick-co-rio-vista
Friend of mine just bought a 12 Vette GS and said the forums all recommend Abel as well. Once my SS comes in we are gonna drive out there and talk to them just to start a customer relationship.
Black Bow Ties
Black Metallic Rally Stripes
Black Wheels With Red Outline

TPW 12/14/15
1G1FE1R72G0133041 - 12/16 built
2/19/16 - It's mine!!

Previous rides:
2011 Camaro LS
2010 Camaro SS
1988 Honda Civic Hatch B18C1 swap
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
osr5dude

Drives: Hyper blue 2016 2SS
Shoot, Abel is over 100 miles from my house and even further from work. I might try Capitol first and if they suck, ignore the second free oil change and stick with my guy.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Friend of mine just bought a 12 Vette GS and said the forums all recommend Abel as well. Once my SS comes in we are gonna drive out there and talk to them just to start a customer relationship.
Thats an excellent idea. Rich Wilhof is the guy you want to talk to. He races a badass Z06 with a nice cam.

My drive there is well over 100 miles one way. No other dealer in Ca will touch my car. This place is the real deal. I have seen other dealers black flag warranties for abuse without even looking at the car at all. Abel will at least look into it and help guide you in the needed direction without black flagging the warranty in the GM computer network.
They also do race/track prep and the place is always full of Corvettes sent from alll over the state for work and track prep..

A bay area dealer was the one who blackflagged the warranty. He did a few laps at laguna and had some (well known now ) clutch issues due to their pos design on the throw out bearing. He did make the mistake of rolling in with some track marbles stuck to his tires. They saw that and immediately voided his entire power train warranty, with out any investigation at all in the reported issue. The point is to find a reasonable dealer, who also are factory certified on ZL1's and Corvette's, who are not out to screw you over at the earliest opportunity possible.

If the bay area dealer had taken into account mileage vs tire wear vs clutch friction disk wear, and then approached said customer with where they were at with it than thats a different story. They didn't even try.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
Red Leader

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
Abel is about 60 miles from me one way. Not terrible to get there. Thanks for the info!
Black Bow Ties
Black Metallic Rally Stripes
Black Wheels With Red Outline

TPW 12/14/15
1G1FE1R72G0133041 - 12/16 built
2/19/16 - It's mine!!

Previous rides:
2011 Camaro LS
2010 Camaro SS
1988 Honda Civic Hatch B18C1 swap
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:44 AM   #7
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
My drive there is well over 100 miles one way. No other dealer in Ca will touch my car. This place is the real deal.
I just drove two hours total to get my second 19 minute oil change / inspection. The discounted upgrade to Mobil 1 cost me $32.
A good dealer is worth the trip IMO. I can curb watch the mechanics from 50 feet away. I left home at 7am and was back at 9:30am.
( no appointment either )
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by osr5dude View Post
I've had all my vehicles, new and used, serviced by an awesome local auto shop for the last 15 years. I'm wondering if it's worth using the two free oil changes at a chevy dealer verse paying and getting guaranteed good service.

Are any of the service departments at the dealers around here any good? Yelp reviews for the two closest to me (Momentum and Capitol) don't fill me with confidence that I'll a) get speedy/on-time service and b) actually get mobile 1 full-syn put in.
I would do it myself , or pay for it like you said
If you go to the dealer for that oil change , be very aware at what oil they will use in your car , they will do what they have to use a lower quality oil even if you o lye blink once !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote