#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #29
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
How do you drive around expansion joint that spans entire width highway ?
Just slam on the brakes and go over it at 5 mph. Not too hard...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.R. View Post
Call Mike Lindell, MyPillow.Com
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  13.0 KB
Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Just slam on the brakes and go over it at 5 mph. Not too hard...
There’s been a set of steel plates taking up the entire road near my work for a few months now, and that’s exactly what I’ve been doing in both my cars. Of course, it’s not on the freeway. Still, I’m pretty sure it would bend the wheels on either my Z or BMW if I hit it at normal speed. Would probably knock my teeth out if I had a ZLE.

To the OP, I think you probably should have gone with a standard ZL1. Still very capable, but more livable. A set of R-compounds and 1LE aero, and I don’t think it would be that much slower at the track.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #32
LS3 Machine

Drives: 2017 Colorado ZR2, 2018 ZL1
Um.... it’s expensive, but get like an Audi S4 3rd car? That’s what I have, or even a Colorado ZR2 for less money, rides like a Cadillac.
LS3 Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #33
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
You bought the wrong trim. It's a track focused car, not a touring car. Racecar suspension. Trade in for a ZL1, especially if you're not going to track it often.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #34
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
not resolved...the standard '17 ZL1 is stayng...the wife? J/K...
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #35
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I know a couple of guys have tackled turning the the regular ZL1 into the 1LE with the dive planes & wing...I'm still amazed the difference in suspension from tour to track with a push of the button & I'm certain your wife will appreciate the improvements. This is really the best option you have. I drop in tour whenever the wife happens to go out in mine but it's not that often to avoid the grinch'n I know would come.

Problem is I see you hit the track quite often & the 1LE is the better animal...do you have an opportunity to track a standard Z to see if worth considering??

Hey brother, at least these are 1st world problems!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Come on! You know I'm not the first!

No seriously my wife doesn't even want to get in the car... Which is why I'm asking. As far as I'm concerned it's awesome except for the occasional large bumps that literally raise my behind out of the seat.

So... What tricks?

- Lower the tire pressure when my wife is in the car?

- Raise the ride height? ZL1 1LE is adjustable but it seems like too much work to switch back and forth and I don't want to leave it at 4x4 height.

- Add 4 x 50lbs bags of dogfood (200lbs ballast) to the trunk when my wife is in the car?

I'm grasping at straws... Anyone else got any good ideas?

My wife thanks you
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #36
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
I think people are reading the title and skipping the message because everyone seems to think I'm unhappy with the car. I love my ZL1 1LE, it's not going anywhere, I'm just looking for temporary options to make my wife less reluctant to choose my car over hers when we go out and I'm driving

- I do track my cars.
- I don't mind the NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Adding 200lbs to the trunk might work. Mine rides pretty nice on the way to the track when its all packed up with tools.
I think I'm actually going to try this. I have a big dog so plenty of justification for the dogfood haha PLUS pretty easy to load and unload before/after longer drives with my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
You bought a track car.
Buy a street car.
(Yup, short answer, coffee still brewing)
This is my street car This is actually very tame compared to my Shelby which had a full griggs racing setup w/ SLA, watts-link, torque arm, roll cage (no power mods though, unnecessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My wife turned to me on our 1,400 mile drive from Detroit to Houston and mentioned what a comfortable ride the car was... then we hit some expansion joints and just laughed.

Ton of creature comforts in this track car that most don't have. Wouldn't have it any other way but then I purchased it for the track and not the street.
EXACTLY! This is exactly how I feel. Except I'm still laughing but my wife's laughs have turn into a bit more of a resentful laugh HAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
How do you drive around expansion joint that spans entire width highway ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joszer View Post
I recommend getting some street tires. The stock Goodyear's have insanely stiff sidewalls and transmit so much vibration into the cabin. I ended up getting different tires and it helped the ride immensely. Granted I burned up my Goodyear's in three trackdays so I had an excuse to try a new tire on the factory wheels.
I will probably do this -- Save my Goodyears for the track. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEM1 View Post
You bought the wrong trim. It's a track focused car, not a touring car. Racecar suspension. Trade in for a ZL1, especially if you're not going to track it often.
I do track days probably only 2-3 times a year now that I'm a dad.
I'm happy with the car, the desire to soften the ride is just for my wife.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #37
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Come on! You know I'm not the first!

No seriously my wife doesn't even want to get in the car... Which is why I'm asking. As far as I'm concerned it's awesome except for the occasional large bumps that literally raise my behind out of the seat.

So... What tricks?

- Lower the tire pressure when my wife is in the car?

- Raise the ride height? ZL1 1LE is adjustable but it seems like too much work to switch back and forth and I don't want to leave it at 4x4 height.

- Add 4 x 50lbs bags of dogfood (200lbs ballast) to the trunk when my wife is in the car?

I'm grasping at straws... Anyone else got any good ideas?

My wife thanks you
Would you consider reducing the spring rate by some percentage all around for a more compliant ride, but still significantly stiffer rates than the FE4? They are standard springs (ie. inexpensive), but may need to dial it in to get what you're looking for.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #38
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
If this is your street car (as you told us before), trade it for a ZL1. Happy wife is happy life and she will enjoy the ZL1 much more, guaranteed!

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #39
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Would you consider reducing the spring rate by some percentage all around for a more compliant ride, but still significantly stiffer rates than the FE4? They are standard springs (ie. inexpensive), but may need to dial it in to get what you're looking for.
Considering the car is used 95% of the time with just me in the car and I like it as is. 5% of the time my wife is in the car (maybe my daughter too -- daughter loves the bumps). I'd be sacrificing the 95% for the 5%. I don't think my wife hates it that much, she just complains enough that I figured I'd try some things. Not ready for springs yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
If this is your street car (as you told us before), trade it for a ZL1. Happy wife is happy life and she will enjoy the ZL1 much more, guaranteed!
Happy Wife, Happy Life -- it's so true.
But I'm not trading it in. I'd rather just suck it up and drive her car for the family outings.

I think the first steps are:
- Try tires (easy to switch out for the track)
- Try 200lbs in the trunk (seriously).

I'm guessing that will get me close enough to a compromise with my wife
She loves me, she'll give up some comfort and I'll give up some handling haha

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 11-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #40
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Considering the car is used 95% of the time with just me in the car and I like it as is. 5% of the time my wife is in the car (maybe my daughter too -- daughter loves the bumps). I'd be sacrificing the 95% for the 5%. I don't think my wife hates it that much, she just complains enough that I figured I'd try some things. Not ready for springs yet.

Happy Wife, Happy Life -- it's so true.
But I'm not trading it in. I'd rather just suck it up and drive her car for the family outings.

I think the first steps are:
- Try tires (easy to switch out for the track)
- Try 200lbs in the trunk (seriously).

I'm guessing that will get me close enough to a compromise with my wife
She loves me, she'll give up some comfort and I'll give up some handling haha
Sincerely, I think you love the 1LE for how it looks... Think about the trade again: you can have the “comfort” from the ZL1 MagneRide and still modify the look transforming it into a 1LE

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #41
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Punishing ride. Neighbo took me in his to pick mine up. Rides like a roller coaster and motor sounds like cats doing the dirty. A lot of them. At once
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #42
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
Sincerely, I think you love the 1LE for how it looks... Think about the trade again: you can have the “comfort” from the ZL1 MagneRide and still modify the look transforming it into a 1LE
I do. I like the wing, the wider tires, dive planes, matte hood and red brake calipers.

But I also like the way it handles and I do track my car enough to justify (to myself) owning it over the ZL1.

Honestly my favorite thing about the ZL1 1LE over the ZL1 is the front end snappiness. I test drove a ZL1 first (before the 1LE) and it was excellent. Then I drove the ZL1 1LE and I could immediately tell the difference.

- Nimblier
- Turn-in response
- Flatter

I loved my Z06 w/ Z07 -- I bought the Z07 package because I wanted the sharper handling for the track. I was concerned that when switching to a ZL1 (or ZL1 1LE) that I'd be giving up a lot. With the ZL1 I felt like I was switching to a much nicer ride, with the ZL1 1LE I felt like I was getting a better handling car.

Unfortunately I never tracked my Z06, it had engine problems.
I will track my ZL1 1LE