Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
No more convertor replacements

The infamous shudder has returned on my 20162SS and I took it in today to try and get the convertor replacement scheduled. Seems that Chevrolet has issued a new bulletin stopping convertor replacements. Since new convertors are not resolving issue, they hope to have a new fix by January. In the meantime, dealers have been instructed to flush the transmission again. WTF.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
There is probably 20 current threads that have explained that.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Absolutely terrible. Does anyone know if this terrible 8 speed auto is in any other car besides GM? For instance I see other makes like the new Jeep Wrangler JL that lists an 8 speed automatic. After my Camaro and the shuddering issues, whenever I see 8 speed automatic I want to run as fast as I can.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Absolutely terrible. Does anyone know if this terrible 8 speed auto is in any other car besides GM? For instance I see other makes like the new Jeep Wrangler JL that lists an 8 speed automatic. After my Camaro and the shuddering issues, whenever I see 8 speed automatic I want to run as fast as I can.
The 8 speed in the Jeep/BMW and others is a ZF unit and a very nice and strong transmission. Transmissions in all cars for many years have been hit or miss. The current GM 8 speed is not a bad transmission, it's the torque converter and TCM tuning I think Is the issue.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
The 8 speed in the Jeep/BMW and others is a ZF unit and a very nice and strong transmission. Transmissions in all cars for many years have been hit or miss. The current GM 8 speed is not a bad transmission, it's the torque converter and TCM tuning I think Is the issue.
you are correct. the transmission itself is fine. the tc and tune are the problems.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
BA RS
Big B

Drives: 2016 2SS Summit White
So I have the shutter and called a couple of local dealership and one that is supposed to be really good told me that they are aware of the issue and have 3 options . One being the flush , the other is change the converter and flush it again , then the last was some reprograming the ecm which would I guess adjust the slip tables . I will taking it in a couple of weeks since they are backed up right now

2016 2SS,NPP exhauset, A8, Black and White interior, black rims, black center stripe.
BA RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
DiGiam

Drives: 2016 NFG SS A8
GM has a fix coming in the first quarter of 2019. There will be no converter replacements until then. They have been told to flush transmissions as needed until then
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA RS View Post
So I have the shutter and called a couple of local dealership and one that is supposed to be really good told me that they are aware of the issue and have 3 options . One being the flush , the other is change the converter and flush it again , then the last was some reprograming the ecm which would I guess adjust the slip tables . I will taking it in a couple of weeks since they are backed up right now

Question about the tcm reprogramming. The reason I say is after anything done to our transmissions, they must put the tcm into relearn mode. I wouldn't call that a reprogramming, but they might
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
DiGiam

Drives: 2016 NFG SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
Question about the tcm reprogramming. The reason I say is after anything done to our transmissions, they must put the tcm into relearn mode. I wouldn't call that a reprogramming, but they might
My guess is that it will be a new converter design and a revised tcm program to address the amount of converter slip allowed. And yes, they will almost always do a relearn on the trans whenever a change is made. If you have a trans tune in the car, they will flash it to the new program if thats what part of the fix is. from there you may have to have it tuned again because your tcm tune will be off of the old revision and not the new one.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Yea mine started to shutter just under 4K miles, didn't do it all the time but it became more noticeable. I took it in on Nov. 1st and had the trans and lines flushed out, they had the car for 3 days. I was told to expect some hard shifting as the car was relearning shift points but it's been smooth as butter and I've been driving it hard to see what's what. I mean it's under warranty so I've been driving it hard. The car is put s away now for the winter but I've told my Service Advisor the new fix is for the 1st quarter of the new year and I want to be first to get it done, once the roads clear off and the salt is washed away.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:10 AM   #11
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Got 8500 on mine, and knock on wood, is flawless. Like YARBIE 1.

Keep my fingers crossed?
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Ive been grateful that this is one problem I have not yet experienced and Im at 16,000 miles.

Just wondering, why does flushing the transmission fix this issue to begin with?
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Ive been grateful that this is one problem I have not yet experienced and Im at 16,000 miles.

Just wondering, why does flushing the transmission fix this issue to begin with?
When a trans slips enough either by the clutch packs or torque converter, the slip causes friction material to be released in the fluid. Maybe they thought the fluid was breaking down causing slip so a flush with a new type of fluid may help. Which obviously it did not.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
Got 8500 on mine, and knock on wood, is flawless. Like YARBIE 1.

Keep my fingers crossed?

At 8500 miles, ours didn't have this issue either.

It first showed up at just over 11,000 miles.
Triple flush fixed it, at least until just over 17,000 miles when it came back.

Another triple flush (Same day as GM sent the notice about holding off on converter changes), and it is working fine again.

This should make it until Q1 2019 when GM says a new fix is coming.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote