Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Now I'm questioning my choice???

I'll be ordering next Spring and I'm having second thoughts about waiting for the ZL1 or High Horse Camaro.
This Camaro will replace my '12 2SS RS AS MY DAILY DRIVER!
With all the info coming out about the weight penalty and mileage penalty from the 6th gen ZL1, am I just better off getting a SS that weighs less and just add bolt-ons and Nitrous for when I want to play....that way I can keep the Superior Gas Mileage from this car.

What do you guys think???
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I'll be ordering next Spring and I'm having second thoughts about waiting for the ZL1 or High Horse Camaro.
This Camaro will replace my '12 2SS RS AS MY DAILY DRIVER!
With all the info coming out about the weight penalty and mileage penalty from the 6th gen ZL1, am I just better off getting a SS that weighs less and just add bolt-ons and Nitrous for when I want to play....that way I can keep the Superior Gas Mileage from this car.

What do you guys think???
If $10k more was on my budget, the next gen Z would be mine. Not sure what weight penalties you speak of... but nothing is known at this time. But you can bet your butt the new car will be lighter than the Gen 5 Z's.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
I doubt if you'll be able to order a ZL1 this spring. More like next fall probably.
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
If $10k more was on my budget, the next gen Z would be mine. Not sure what weight penalties you speak of... but nothing is known at this time. But you can bet your butt the new car will be lighter than the Gen 5 Z's.
Alot lighter and yes if i were in the market for a zl1 i would wait and i honestly dont think mpg should even be a worry in your decision either way.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
A bolt on and spray 6th gen should be a very low 10 sec car.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
this is just me but. why not supercharge the 16 2SS and have a cheeper insurance bill than th ZL1?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_zack View Post
this is just me but. why not supercharge the 16 2SS and have a cheeper insurance bill than th ZL1?
The cost will be more over the ZL1 and it will lack a warranty.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
The cost will be more over the ZL1 and it will lack a warranty.
Procharger is 5.5k... You are saying a ZL1 (that is IF they even make a ZL1 and not something new) is gonna be 50? More like 60k since gen 6 base price increased over gen5s. Gen 5 ZL1 is starting at 55k so procharger will still be 5k cheaper than a BASE "ZL1". Lack of warranty though, that is undeniably true lol.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Procharger is 5.5k... You are saying a ZL1 (that is IF they even make a ZL1 and not something new) is gonna be 50? More like 60k since gen 6 base price increased over gen5s. Gen 5 ZL1 is starting at 55k so procharger will still be 5k cheaper than a BASE "ZL1". Lack of warranty though, that is undeniably true lol.
It may well be $5,500 for just the supercharger, but you have to factor in costs for installation, tuning, dyno time, etc. I would bet that the total cost for any FI is more than $10k, unless you are installing it yourself.

The ZL1 will also come with more than just a supercharger. There will be upgraded components unique to the ZL1, it will have a warranty, and it will have resale value. You will have a much harder time getting extra money for after market FI.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you SC a 16 SS, where do you think you save mass and FE?

You will also be adding mass, just like the factory by adding the SC. And your FE will go down from a stock SS, just like the fatocry.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
It may well be $5,500 for just the supercharger, but you have to factor in costs for installation, tuning, dyno time, etc. I would bet that the total cost for any FI is more than $10k, unless you are installing it yourself.

The ZL1 will also come with more than just a supercharger. There will be upgraded components unique to the ZL1, it will have a warranty, and it will have resale value. You will have a much harder time getting extra money for after market FI.
Oh I am already sold on the ZL1. It is a fantastic vehicle, lot's of goodies and upgraded stuff over SS. I almost grabbed a 2015 gen5 ZL1 but was missing a few things that I wanted which Gen6 2SS has... And no way could I wait another year for the gen6 ZL1. I'll drive my 2SS for a couple years and procharge it before I grab a ZL1 or just grab the ZL1, all depends on multiple factors in a couple years...

I would've installed procharger myself and it already has an OTS tune for Diablo. $350 bucks for diablo handheld device (which I already have along with other supporting mods on my shopping list like afe intake, borla xpipe. Already have LT1 TB + IM which I will send out to get ported when I know the intake manifold fits. I know the TB does), either use my guy for 150 bucks for A YEAR or 1 time dyno tune for $400 bucks... I have no idea how much the install would cost but without installed.. You are looking at just a little over 6k. If you have gotten a 1SS without a lot of goodies... will be still much cheaper than a ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If you SC a 16 SS, where do you think you save mass and FE?

You will also be adding mass, just like the factory by adding the SC. And your FE will go down from a stock SS, just like the fatocry.

Oh for sure you will be adding more weight however power to weight ratio you will still come on top by A LOT after the SC. You will be looking at 600 rwhp+ on the LT1 on PUMP (93) gas which is fantastic.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
An ZL1 is so much more than the sum of it's parts....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
People are talking about it weighing a couple hundred pounds or more, than a SS, supposedly only a 4-5 tenths quicker, and a loss of 8 mpg on the highway????
Just trying to weigh all my options! This is not my race car...just a DD!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The ZL1 is a fantastic car...I love them. But honestly, a fair amount of bolt ons and a tune will have the 16SS running with or walking a stock 5th gen ZL1....thats just the way it is. The next Z (whatever it will be) is going to be in another league altogether.