Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
How do I get the chrome trim off of the steering wheel controls?

Hi all,

I have a 2016 RS. I got one of the Hot Wheels 50th Anniversary suede steering wheels and before I install it I want to take the chrome trim off and hydro dip it carbon fiber. I am a big guy and pretty much going to show you that 90% to 95% of time I will over torque something and break it rather than have it pop off like it's intended so jumping in with plastic putty knives blazing isn't my best plan of attack. With that said does anyone know how these little Chrome triangle pieces on either side for the thumb controls come off?
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
BTK

Drives: 2017 2ss
I just did this yesterday. You have to remove the airbag (relatively simple, disconnect neg battery cable, 2 small holes on either side of the wheel that have pins inside that you push in to remove it) Then the wheel controls come off with a plastic ring behind the airbag. Next, there are tabs around the chrome trim that are VERY fragile and require gentle prying. When they come off, the whole switch assembly will come off the ring and the chrome trim will separate from the assembly. Clear as mud?
BTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
I think I'm following. Actually the steering wheel I'm working on will be going in new so I've have it in hand for the airbag already removed. I'm going to give this a shot hopefully tomorrow and will report back what I find or how much I broke LMAO
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just make sure when you reinstall and connect the airbag you have the battery disconnected. DO NOT forget this step.