#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-29-2023, 06:51 PM   #57
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmoe View Post
Hopefully they figure out if there is a leak. Honestly depending on your sense of smell I have found that half of the cars I have had have a faint coolant smell from time to time. I noticed it most in Toyotas and jeeps. It’s usually more noticeable in the winter with the more dense air. If the garage reeks of coolant for awhile after a drive then I would be concerned for sure.

Looking at various 6 gen Camaro postings on the web these do seem to have more than average level drops whether it be evaporation or leaking.

I took a look at the ends of my rad with a endoscope (did not want to pull the air dam) and saw a bit a gunk build up in each corner but no real evidence of actual leaking.

These more subtle issue are nerve wracking.
Ya definately are.
Indo smell it some more lately and quite a bit around the car (a few feet). The lower res has dropped about a inch now in 1k miles (little over 3 weeks). I know for sure the dealer didint even look under the car because i had a ton of rocks and plant matter in the lower radiator cover. This is really what makes me frustrated with chevy is the dealers and service. Ill drop it off again this week and will update for sure. Thnks for taking a look at your radiator not really sure where to go from here cause im quite sure dealer will just dismiss it
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 07:12 PM   #58
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
Ya definately are.
Indo smell it some more lately and quite a bit around the car (a few feet). The lower res has dropped about a inch now in 1k miles (little over 3 weeks). I know for sure the dealer didint even look under the car because i had a ton of rocks and plant matter in the lower radiator cover. This is really what makes me frustrated with chevy is the dealers and service. Ill drop it off again this week and will update for sure. Thnks for taking a look at your radiator not really sure where to go from here cause im quite sure dealer will just dismiss it
Not trying to beat a dead horse but the dealers and service on my trans going out at 14k miles is what started the sour taste in my mouth for Chevy. That being said I can’t deny they make an affordable powerhouse, mostly because their marketing sucks, but either way I kind of feel we get what we pay for.. for the most part. im also young and didnt get to live through the years where chevy made its name

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:20 PM   #59
Redmoe

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange ZL1 Vert M6
Dropped mine off today to have the coolant system checked just in case since I am still seeing a consistent drop in level with minimal driving. Hopefully they will get to it this week.
Redmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:59 AM   #60
Redmoe

Just got word back system was pressure tested and no leaks. Funny enough I had my 2022 wrangler out for some mild off roading yesterday and could smell coolant when we stopped on the trail. Same as my other last two jeeps. I must be plagued with smelling coolant everywhere lol.

Update: they are holding it to do a longer term leak test to confirm all is good.

Last edited by Redmoe; 01-04-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:29 PM   #61
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Just got word back system was pressure tested and no leaks. Funny enough I had my 2022 wrangler out for some mild off roading yesterday and could smell coolant when we stopped on the trail. Same as my other last two jeeps. I must be plagued with smelling coolant everywhere lol.
Wranglers are notorious for smelling like coolant, and can usually be attributed to the crimps in the radiator with a tiny leak that never goes away
Old 01-04-2024, 01:07 PM   #62
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
well they took care of you quickly. Good to know. I know there can still be leaks even with pressure tests showing good. They would have to test it HOT for some pinhole leaks. I guess is what it is.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:39 PM   #63
Redmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Wranglers are notorious for smelling like coolant, and can usually be attributed to the crimps in the radiator with a tiny leak that never goes away
I hear that, I have had it happen with Toyotas as well. I would be willing to wager that the modern cheap radiators with crimped on plastic end tanks have more consistent issues with pin hole leaks. Good excuse for upgraded rads when the warranty expires.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:38 PM   #64
Redmoe

Update: they let it sit and still no evidence of a leak. At least if there is a leak it is very minor. Will just have to keep watching it.