Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-19-2023, 09:46 PM   #43
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
I pulled my lower engine cover off this evening. I found that mount and the edges of the radiator in the picture to have sticky stuff all over it. I shot the pics and video over to a friend thats a gm tech and he said its a slow leak something hes seen on the trucks but not usually the camaros. So thats the coolant leak. I dont see anything above this area just right there and on the mount. I had to remove another plastic cover for the radiator portion but saw it on the mount thats in the pic. Ill call dealer tomorrow
Yeah that 2nd pic is a little concerning. If you are in need of a heat exchanger. I happen to have 2 extra. I could let one go for ya, just pm if it comes down to it. Good luck!

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #44
Redmoe

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange ZL1 Vert M6
Hopefully the dealership resolves the issue. I may have to pull the lower tray or get a bore scope down there to see if the same residue is there on mine.
Redmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:40 PM   #45
Future1LE

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
I have a buddy with a ZL1 that is also losing coolant on the top reservoir though. He recently took his car apart to do a cam and heads build. Now everytime we go for a pull, this top coolant tank would lose 1/4, after a few pull the top one is completely dried. I think he said the car didn't over heat or anything yet. I think there is definitely a leak somewhere that we are trying to locate.
Future1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #46
Redmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LE View Post
I have a buddy with a ZL1 that is also losing coolant on the top reservoir though. He recently took his car apart to do a cam and heads build. Now everytime we go for a pull, this top coolant tank would lose 1/4, after a few pull the top one is completely dried. I think he said the car didn't over heat or anything yet. I think there is definitely a leak somewhere that we are trying to locate.
I wonder if he has a leak in the head gasket since it sounds like the heads were pulled off. I believe there is a test kit that will determine if combustion artifacts are getting into the coolant. It hooks to the reservoir and has a fluid that changes color if gasses from combustion are present.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:57 PM   #47
Future1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmoe View Post
I wonder if he has a leak in the head gasket since it sounds like the heads were pulled off. I believe there is a test kit that will determine if combustion artifacts are getting into the coolant. It hooks to the reservoir and has a fluid that changes color if gasses from combustion are present.
That is definitely a valid spot to check because he did took the heads off. Do you know what the test kit is and where we can obtain one?
Old 12-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #48
Redmoe

This is the tool I have seen used to test for a head gasket leak: https://www.harborfreight.com/combus...=&gad_source=1
Old 12-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #49
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
So the dealer cany get me in until the 1st.
I think this started after I went off track at willow springs. My engine cover does have a crack in it just before where this radiator is. Although it shows no impact to it, im wondering if I caused this? Anyone know part number for the big radiator (closest to the engine?) Might just have this replaced out of warranty.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:20 AM   #50
Redmoe

It should be one of these two part numbers:
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #51
Coded4SS

Quote:
It should be one of these two part numbers:
Thank you man!
Old 12-21-2023, 11:49 AM   #52
Future1LE

Quote:
This is the tool I have seen used to test for a head gasket leak: https://www.harborfreight.com/combus...=&gad_source=1
Thank you!
Old 12-21-2023, 04:05 PM   #53
Redmoe

Glad to help
Old 12-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #54
Redmoe

Quote:
I pulled my lower engine cover off this evening. I found that mount and the edges of the radiator in the picture to have sticky stuff all over it. I shot the pics and video over to a friend thats a gm tech and he said its a slow leak something hes seen on the trucks but not usually the camaros. So thats the coolant leak. I dont see anything above this area just right there and on the mount. I had to remove another plastic cover for the radiator portion but saw it on the mount thats in the pic. Ill call dealer tomorrow
Was the dealer able to determine if the radiator was leaking?
Old 12-28-2023, 01:54 PM   #55
Coded4SS

Quote:
Was the dealer able to determine if the radiator was leaking?
They wont take the car until the 2nd and im kinda doubtful they will do a decent job in confirming it. Last time they had the car for 4 days and said no problem found haha.

The coolant smell is pretty obvious now though so I gotta get it fixed.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:33 PM   #56
Redmoe

Quote:
They wont take the car until the 2nd and im kinda doubtful they will do a decent job in confirming it. Last time they had the car for 4 days and said no problem found haha.

The coolant smell is pretty obvious now though so I gotta get it fixed.
Hopefully they figure out if there is a leak. Honestly depending on your sense of smell I have found that half of the cars I have had have a faint coolant smell from time to time. I noticed it most in Toyotas and jeeps. It’s usually more noticeable in the winter with the more dense air. If the garage reeks of coolant for awhile after a drive then I would be concerned for sure.

Looking at various 6 gen Camaro postings on the web these do seem to have more than average level drops whether it be evaporation or leaking.

I took a look at the ends of my rad with a endoscope (did not want to pull the air dam) and saw a bit a gunk build up in each corner but no real evidence of actual leaking.

These more subtle issue are nerve wracking.