Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #29
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I check mine every 3k, that’s when I noticed mine needed a bit of a top up after getting the car. Or at least check every oil change.
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:14 PM   #30
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I dont even think I've added 2 quarts to my car since buying it new in Sep of 2018. I've done numerous track days and autocross events as well in the good ol' Southeast Georgia heat.

Maybe it's like how some cars go through oil like candy while other cars just lose not even half a quart in between oil changes.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #31
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
So they pressure tested the system over night and said it didint drop at all. They asked me to stop topping off the coolant and bring it in to record when the fluid is being lost. So i guess thats that for a lil while. Ill go with that.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:11 PM   #32
Redmoe

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange ZL1 Vert M6
I bet the climate especially humidity and how your vehicle is being serviced plays into the variation as well. If dealer serviced with frequent oil changes it’s possible some dealers are more diligent in topping it off. Also the mix ratio of coolant to water will have an impact as well.

OP glad your car checked out and that the dealership is continuing to work with you to monitor it.
Redmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:15 PM   #33
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
So they pressure tested the system over night and said it didint drop at all. They asked me to stop topping off the coolant and bring it in to record when the fluid is being lost. So i guess thats that for a lil while. Ill go with that.
After 3 years of owning my car, I topped up the level on the lower tank to the full line which equated to I’m guessing 6 ounces not paying attention to what level was from factory. I also don’t drive this car as a daily, so everybody’s adjustments to top off the tank will be different depending on your driving. I am now aware that my maro will evaporate coolant, more rapid than the other GM daily drivers I’ve owned. And Alberta is a very dry climate even in the winter
Old 12-18-2023, 10:42 AM   #34
Coded4SS

Its been 1k miles since i last filled it up and went to the dealer. Car is still losing coolant in the lower res. When i drive it and the car is all warmed up for a bit i sometimes get the smell of coolant from outside the car. Tried checking what I can see but never find anything. Going to let it drop a bit more then take it back.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #35
Redmoe

How much did it drop in the 1k miles? I smell a very faint coolant when I just end a drive but it is gone quickly. I chalk it up to evaporation. I don’t drive enough to get a good idea of loss in a month.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #36
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmoe View Post
How much did it drop in the 1k miles? I smell a very faint coolant when I just end a drive but it is gone quickly. I chalk it up to evaporation. I don’t drive enough to get a good idea of loss in a month.
So when i last filled it up (lower) i put it slightly above the line. Id say measurement wise about 1/8in drop in 1k miles.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:18 PM   #37
Redmoe

That does not seem too bad since that lower tank is not sealed it could be a normal amount. There are several topics out there about the 6 gen having empty lower tanks. Could just be a “feature” that varies with climate, mix ratio, driving habits and engine bay heat.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM   #38
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmoe View Post
That does not seem too bad since that lower tank is not sealed it could be a normal amount. There are several topics out there about the 6 gen having empty lower tanks. Could just be a “feature” that varies with climate, mix ratio, driving habits and engine bay heat.
Ya im wondering if thats all it is. Ill let it get low and see how it goes. This thread has some good info thats helped. Maybe just normal but heck idk haha
Old 12-19-2023, 03:59 PM   #39
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
So when i last filled it up (lower) i put it slightly above the line. Id say measurement wise about 1/8in drop in 1k miles.
I’m not trying to alarm you, but a 1/8” drop (a visually noticeable difference) does seem excessive over 1k. I am wondering if you have a small leak in one of the line fittings?
Old 12-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #40
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I’m not trying to alarm you, but a 1/8” drop (a visually noticeable difference) does seem excessive over 1k. I am wondering if you have a small leak in one of the line fittings?
Tbh i still think there is a leak somewhere. Im thinking of buying my own pressure tester.

Would coolant leak be pink goo? Or white dry chalky substance? Ive looked at fittings really closely (that i can tell from engine bay) and cant see anything. I do see some white chalky on the thermostat housing but maybe thats dried water.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:39 PM   #41
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Tbh i still think there is a leak somewhere. Im thinking of buying my own pressure tester.

Would coolant leak be pink goo? Or white dry chalky substance? Ive looked at fittings really closely (that i can tell from engine bay) and cant see anything. I do see some white chalky on the thermostat housing but maybe thats dried water.
I also keep coming back to you have some sort of a slow leak that that may dissipate because of surrounding heat i.e. the engine bay heat and does not allow a noticeable puddle on the ground or noticeable wet spot on components. As far as residual color around fittings or anywhere else after evaporation, I’m not sure if it would become white or stay a pink colour upon evaporation. I guess the dreaded question would be. Are you seeing any sort of colour coming out of your tailpipe like white or blueish color indicating a breach between combustion and cooling? Most noticeably upon start up.

Last edited by CalgaryZL1; 12-19-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #42
Coded4SS

I pulled my lower engine cover off this evening. I found that mount and the edges of the radiator in the picture to have sticky stuff all over it. I shot the pics and video over to a friend thats a gm tech and he said its a slow leak something hes seen on the trucks but not usually the camaros. So thats the coolant leak. I dont see anything above this area just right there and on the mount. I had to remove another plastic cover for the radiator portion but saw it on the mount thats in the pic. Ill call dealer tomorrow
Attached Images