Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Turbo 4 info requested

Hello everybody,

I'm interested in buying a Turbo 4 Camaro and i was just wondering about its moddability.

1) I'm assuming that the stock turbo is a T3 equivalent? Anybody swap out to a T3/T4 setup? any clearance issues? stock manifold or aftermarket? if aftermarket is it a cast log manifold or welded tubular?

2) i have seen some threads talking about upgraded internals. Does the block itself need to be sleeved? like is it an open or closed deck? or can upgraded pistons be dropped right in?

I have a bit of prior experience with turbo 4's (swapped honda, fully built motor) so i was a bit excited when i heard a while back that Chevy and Ford had turbo 4 cars of their own.

anyways thanks in advance =)
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
Are your goals purely straight line speed?
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469301

There's a list of the available modifications. It's almost limitless. Search around this forum, you'll find more information than you'll know what to do with.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm interested in buying a Turbo 4 Camaro and i was just wondering about its moddability.

1) I'm assuming that the stock turbo is a T3 equivalent? Anybody swap out to a T3/T4 setup? any clearance issues? stock manifold or aftermarket? if aftermarket is it a cast log manifold or welded tubular?

T4 setup haven't heard of any issues it's a very small turbo. Only a select count on 1 hand few have messed with the manifold on extensive builds only.

2) i have seen some threads talking about upgraded internals. Does the block itself need to be sleeved? like is it an open or closed deck? or can upgraded pistons be dropped right in?

No sleeving nut your not gonna be able to change them without removing the engine as far as i know.

I have a bit of prior experience with turbo 4's (swapped honda, fully built motor) so i was a bit excited when i heard a while back that Chevy and Ford had turbo 4 cars of their own.

anyways thanks in advance =)
You're fine on stock internals til 400whp range then your waiting for an issue if you don't upgrade to forged internals. Most FBO 93 Pump Gas cars run anywhere from 300 to 315whp and 370 to 390wtq with competent tuning. Like zts said do your research especially on tuners some have had a lot of issues others have been alright for better or worse.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Vne182

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro LS
As a new LS 2.0L owner, I would suggest you start with something fast and make that faster if you want speed. The new LT1 V8 (non SS) Camaro is a steal! With heads and cam you're approaching 500 whp.
I love my little turbo Camaro but it needs a bigger turbo, tuning, down pipe, etc... it's a fantastic $21k bargain that will be fun to throw wheels on but I'm not fooling myself thinking I'm going to be taking down V8 anything's. If you're okay with 330 reliable horsepower then the 4 banger is really the most enjoyable Camaro to drive on public roads.
Vne182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2218 View Post
Are your goals purely straight line speed?

Yes...not really looking to build an auto-x car. I'm only comfortable doing that in a FWD or AWD car. So for a Camaro turbo 4 i'd mostly be interested in mid to high range power rather than low to mid.

I'll do a bit of searching on the forums for now. I was going to try and get it this weekend but i may have to delay it for a few weeks since i might be moving to a different house/apartment. So i'm no longer in a rush and i'll have a bit more time to research it.
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vne182 View Post
I'm not fooling myself thinking I'm going to be taking down V8 anything's.
Well now that's just not true. With minor modifications you'll take down the stock Charger/Challenger R/T with the 5.7L V8 in it. It's something that brings me much joy.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
Vne182

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
Well now that's just not true. With minor modifications you'll take down the stock Charger/Challenger R/T with the 5.7L V8 in it. It's something that brings me much joy.
That is true. I had an 07 Charger R/T (same car as today's Charger btw) and yes the Camaro is much quicker.

I meant new V8 Mustangs... our nemesis.
Vne182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vne182 View Post
That is true. I had an 07 Charger R/T (same car as today's Charger btw) and yes the Camaro is much quicker.

I meant new V8 Mustangs... our nemesis.
That's a dumbfounded statement to make to begin with comparing the 2.0T to a Modern V8 engine. The V8 mustangs are a nemesis to nobody but the general public on the sidewalk, the newer V8 camaros still outshine them in almost every trim lvl comparison. We won't even get into the 2006 to 2010 V8 Mustangs that got stomped on by the 2010 V6 Camaro. All but forcing the rapid deployment of the coyote engine to save face.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
If you are mainly interested in a turbocharged car, make sure you cross shop all the turbo cars in this price range. ie- veloster n, wrx, and yes ecoboost Mustang. EB Mustang will have better acceleration (new ones that is). The main benefit of the camaro to me was it’s chassis not engine. Wrx had oiling problems and stock tune issues. EB Mustang was not a good cornering car. If all you want is acceleration and don’t care about turbo or not, a 2014 Mustang is a good deal, or 5th gen SS. Even used SRT8.
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I run up against a big variety of daily drivers on the strip. Since my relocation here its becoming my new hobby i guess. Expensive one. Basically we are still respecting all the V8s except for the classic cars, the occasional caprice or impala or moni carlo types. I am still 2 car lengths behind gen 5 V8. Maybe par with the 4.6 3V Mustang, is it the the S197, older wrx, shitty honda tuners and anyone who cant launch like the 69 camaro I beat out at by.02 secs, he had a bad launch but trapped at 111. Racing on paper is one thing but in practice there is so much variability you could compare it to a battle field game with all the sensory and environmental inputs going on. Its like golf, your really trying not to defeat yourself. When you look at the numbers by rule of thumb start counting weight by the 100# for each .1 and HP by 10's for each .1 (this might be off, chime in) and see where you need to go. Then get a drag pack, and optimal track conditions, and then you have the reality of it. BUT on the other hand every one has the same handicaps so it kind of levels the playing field a bit. Versed a vaunted M4, and you know at the end of the day, for the cost of the car, its still a good ride when you look at what 3x as much cost will get you, and decide how much more the extra 25 more mph costs. If we can get the engine to hold together, the occasional 50# nitrous shot would be fun to consider. Best 0-60 ft is like 1.9, and best second half is like 23 mph best top end is 103, and best tap is 13.6x, But the bests never line up to make the perfect run. That's racing.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
The stock turbo is a TD04. It has a unique exhaust flange on the manifold side and the turbine inlet side. As of now, no typical t3/t4 flange style turbo will bolt on. There are a few companies that install a larger compressor and turbine wheel in the stock turbo frame, and you can get an upgraded turbo that utilizes Borg Warner EFR guts from ZZP.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
The stock turbo is a TD04. It has a unique exhaust flange on the manifold side and the turbine inlet side. As of now, no typical t3/t4 flange style turbo will bolt on. There are a few companies that install a larger compressor and turbine wheel in the stock turbo frame, and you can get an upgraded turbo that utilizes Borg Warner EFR guts from ZZP.
I'm on the books for Trifecta's new proprietary turbo upgrade and tune that will come with it. I will have a full review with dyno graphs, photos and videos soon. Stand by...
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #14
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
This could be a game changer for our smaller 2lt turbo. On demand turbo, turbo.

For me personally I really dont want to change the drivability of my small turbo, ala the 400 whp, 150 mph rice rocket. Read as- stumbling to the finish line then explode. Then go back to the lauch and stall, holding up 20 staging cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue.../#46f235b1180a
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote