Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #29
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I'm in except for the PayPal me $25 part.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #30
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I have heard the pros and cons of expansion chambers from a very reputable source and I have declined to buy one. I really wanted this one (ADM's) also. I love the look. But as I was taught about a week ago. I learned that I really don't want my intercooler's dexcool under my hood in Bangkok where it's 200+ degrees for any period of time at all. In fact, I've pretty much decided that I want to go the interchiller route. And then they say to delete the heat exchanger all together (cause it warms up the dexcool that will be at about 35 degrees).
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
I'm in except for the PayPal me $25 part.
That is only if we don't get 10 guys to purchase.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #32
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
I have heard the pros and cons of expansion chambers from a very reputable source and I have declined to buy one. I really wanted this one (ADM's) also. I love the look. But as I was taught about a week ago. I learned that I really don't want my intercooler's dexcool under my hood in Bangkok where it's 200+ degrees for any period of time at all. In fact, I've pretty much decided that I want to go the interchiller route. And then they say to delete the heat exchanger all together (cause it warms up the dexcool that will be at about 35 degrees).
the reasons listed above for no expansion tank are unfounded as all of your Dexcool is under your 200°+ hood. The supercharger intercoler circuit is on top of your engine under the plenum lid. The air/air heat exchanger is an integral part of the cooling system and it would be unwise to remove it. Whoever is giving you information may need some teaching as well.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #33
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
the reasons listed above for no expansion tank are unfounded as all of your Dexcool is under your 200°+ hood. The supercharger intercoler circuit is on top of your engine under the plenum lid. The air/air heat exchanger is an integral part of the cooling system and it would be unwise to remove it. Whoever is giving you information may need some teaching as well.
Totally agree and plus even with the interchiller wouldn't you want to see the level of the SC coolant.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #34
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Actually with a chiller, it is advised to remove the heat exchanger unless you're road course racing in which case you keep the heat exchanger and you need a bypass switch for the chiller. The heat exchanger will actually cause the chiller to be less effective. When I installed the FI Interchillers stage 1 kit on my Hellcat along with spacers and blanket, removed the heat exchanger this was the result...

First pic was on a 93F ambient temp day, second pic was a 75F ambient temp day.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 02-26-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #35
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Totally agree and plus even with the interchiller wouldn't you want to see the level of the SC coolant.
Wouldn't really matter honestly but I do think having an aux tank is nice to know if you're low on coolant if you have a leak and of course its a lot easier to bleed the IC coolant loop with an aux tank.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #36
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Sorry Partner. But I believe if you knew who gave me this advice, you'd probably retract the above. He is a very very very very well respected professional tuner on this forum, who I'm listening to 100% because I know my ZL1 knowledge is extremely limited. The only reason I'm not listing his shop is because I don't want to cause animosity on the forum. He gave me advice on the expansion chamber ONLY. I have yet to ask him about the interchiller. However, from where I live, I'm pretty dead set on doing it. I hope he'll agree. And then I'm going to suggest rerouting the plumbing of the "deleted heat exchangers into the largest radiator that ever existed. Then I don't have spend a grand to upgrade my radiator either. The interchiller will pay for itself that way. I don't have to pay for upgraded heat exchangers, which would be another grand, I also don't have to pay for spacers, blanket, expansion chambers, nothing. I like this idea all together. The interchiller company that I'm serious about is fiinterchiller.com. 1850 bucks and I'll be driving around with 40 degree IATs without a heat exchanger and it's warrantied!. And "IF" I get to plumb the system like I want, I'm definitely not an expert on the ZL1 yet, the "deleted" heat exchangers will be plumbed to become the largest Radiator system this side of the planet. The right or left (I don't know) heat exchanger is already connected to the radiator I believe. So I'm assuming the center and other side can join the engine coolant party. We'll see I guess. I buy my lift in a few days and I'm going to need it with all the mods I'm doing.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:55 PM   #37
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
I really don't want my intercooler's dexcool under my hood in Bangkok where it's 200+ degrees for any period of time at all.
What exactly are you worried about? You're not even tracking the car. How many racers out there running in extreme temps on track haven't had any issues. This sounds like paranoia. 200 F isn't that extreme anyway

Getting advice from one person on a topic like this is always risky, you should seek a consensus of experience.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:18 AM   #38
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
What exactly are you worried about? You're not even tracking the car. How many racers out there running in extreme temps on track haven't had any issues. This sounds like paranoia. 200 F isn't that extreme anyway

Getting advice from one person on a topic like this is always risky, you should seek a consensus of experience.
#1) And how do you know that I don't plan to track the car? What brain gave you this inside information? One of the newest F1 tracks is just a few hours from my house. I plan to track the car. I hate to be a bit sarcastic, but....

#2) Why the hell do you care what I do to my car bro. It's mine. I paid a huge price to get it. Let me do with my car what I like. I just like wrenching actually. Its nice to do (after I put an A/C in my garage). Making something few have is fun. being on the cutting edge is challenging. LASTLY,

#3) How the F#@k do you know that I haven't checked into many companies about the interchiller and chose to do business with this one? Quit freak'in assuming! Cause I surely didn't tell you who I've talked to; I haven't had a beer with you and spilled all the research I've done. I didn't become the businessman and investor I am because I don't do my due diligence. Also of great note, since Dodge is doing it an interchiller OEM, I think that would constitute a consensus that the logic of the interchiller is pretty rock solid. I only have to find the company that is reputable for a system to track the ZL1 with. The one I listed is one of a few that I'm taking a serious look at. For 1850 bucks, it will pay for itself if I can get confirmation on the plumbing of the engine coolant. To me it's a good deal. And because I'm ALWAYS on the throttle, pretty much no matter where I'm at here in "Hot as Hell" in the Wild Wild West (it's 96 degrees today in February in Udon Thani, Thailand where one of my Thai houses is). If I can keep IATs down way down so I don't lose timing, awesome. And the preliminary thinking tells me I might get more engine coolant space after the interchiller bypasses one or both of the heat exchanger.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #39
iwk2much

Drives: ZLI 1LE; 992 S; GLE 450, Denali HD
I'm in = lets get 10 ASAP so we don't have to wait until the 10th for shipping.
iwk2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #40
Z OH 6

Quote:
Sorry Partner. But I believe if you knew who gave me this advice, you'd probably retract the above. He is a very very very very well respected professional tuner on this forum, who I'm listening to 100% because I know my ZL1 knowledge is extremely limited. The only reason I'm not listing his shop is because I don't want to cause animosity on the forum. He gave me advice on the expansion chamber ONLY. I have yet to ask him about the interchiller. However, from where I live, I'm pretty dead set on doing it. I hope he'll agree. And then I'm going to suggest rerouting the plumbing of the "deleted heat exchangers into the largest radiator that ever existed. Then I don't have spend a grand to upgrade my radiator either. The interchiller will pay for itself that way. I don't have to pay for upgraded heat exchangers, which would be another grand, I also don't have to pay for spacers, blanket, expansion chambers, nothing. I like this idea all together. The interchiller company that I'm serious about is fiinterchiller.com. 1850 bucks and I'll be driving around with 40 degree IATs without a heat exchanger and it's warrantied!. And "IF" I get to plumb the system like I want, I'm definitely not an expert on the ZL1 yet, the "deleted" heat exchangers will be plumbed to become the largest Radiator system this side of the planet. The right or left (I don't know) heat exchanger is already connected to the radiator I believe. So I'm assuming the center and other side can join the engine coolant party. We'll see I guess. I buy my lift in a few days and I'm going to need it with all the mods I'm doing.

Nothing wrong with what you want to do however if you do plan to track the car on a road course though, you will want to keep the heat exchanger in the IC loop and use a bypass valve, that's per recommendation from Kirk at FI Interchillers. The chiller does a great job though for daily driving and drag racing.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #41
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post

200F isn't that bad for engine coolant, 200F is SUPER high for IC coolant and your car would pull more timing than you can imagine.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #42
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwk2much View Post
I'm in = lets get 10 ASAP so we don't have to wait until the 10th for shipping.

I was starting to believe this thread turned into a war zone with all this arguments. All I wanted to do his help some fellow Zl1 owners. I'm not getting nothing out of this I was going to pay full price but I figured let's try and get some discount.