Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
302SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, Fifty
A8 Exhaust Questions

I've been reading the forums for awhile, and can't really find a solid answer.

I have a 2017 A8 2SS. I want to get a full exhaust, I have the NPP option. I was thinking of going Corsa/Borla but I can't find one that supports AFM? I don't really want to keep AFM but I don't want to throw a check engine light at the same time.

Any suggestions on exhausts for the A8 cars that won't throw a check engine light?

Thank you.
302SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302SS View Post

I have a 2017 A8 2SS. I want to get a full exhaust, I have the NPP option. I was thinking of going Corsa/Borla but I can't find one that supports AFM? I don't really want to keep AFM but I don't want to throw a check engine light at the same time.

Any suggestions on exhausts for the A8 cars that won't throw a check engine light?

Thank you.
Borla, hooker blackheart, stainless works... most of the companies that have npp functionality have the version for a8 cars
Old 09-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Prepare to pay premium dollars for the NPP version of the exhausts. The exhausts for our cars are ridiculously priced as is but, when you add in the NPP, the prices jump up even higher.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
There are several NPP versions but only a few make a significant difference between open and closed. The Corsa and Flowmaster have the biggest noise reduction in closed mode. The Flowmaster is half the price of the Corsa.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
Prepare to pay premium dollars for the NPP version of the exhausts. The exhausts for our cars are ridiculously priced as is but, when you add in the NPP, the prices jump up even higher.
You can save a few $$ by getting an axle-back instead of a cat-back. If you’re keeping the cats then there isn’t much benefit to paying extra for the cat-back.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Thank you.
Easy, tune the FSCM to shut off the AFM valves and the associated dozen or so codes. Do this BEFORE you change the exhaust! Once you’re tuned, run whatever you want.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
simon18

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
AWE has the AFM valve simulator that essentially allow the A8's to run catbacks without throwing a CEL. I ordered one and plan to put it on in a couple of weeks.
simon18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
302SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Easy, tune the FSCM to shut off the AFM valves and the associated dozen or so codes. Do this BEFORE you change the exhaust! Once you’re tuned, run whatever you want.
Take it to a tuner or plug in one of those chips? I want to get it professionally tuned down the road, (my end goal is camming/headers/intake, etc) but for now just an exhaust, CAI, and new wheels/tires. I don't see a point taking it to a tuner until I start throwing engine mods at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon18 View Post
AWE has the AFM valve simulator that essentially allow the A8's to run catbacks without throwing a CEL. I ordered one and plan to put it on in a couple of weeks.
Can you link it? Is it safe to do that? I read some threads saying don't use the plugin tuner and some said it was fine. So honestly, I'm not sure. I can't really think of why it would be unsafe but again, I'm not entirely sure.

My main scare is throwing a check engine light because of AFM. I was thinking of getting a cat back.

Thank you all for the responses though I appreciate it! And yeah, the NPP options are very expensive. I do like having that option, just incase.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:51 AM   #9
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
What the exhaust manufacturers are saying is the mid pipes delete the AFM valves, and that causes a CEL. I know Borla has a mid pipe that keeps that AFM valves, but that shit is $$$. Part number 60610.

Honestly just skip getting an aftermarket mid pipe. I wish I didn't. That would have been a lot of money saved.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
simon18

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Can you link it? Is it safe to do that? I read some threads saying don't use the plugin tuner and some said it was fine. So honestly, I'm not sure. I can't really think of why it would be unsafe but again, I'm not entirely sure.

My main scare is throwing a check engine light because of AFM. I was thinking of getting a cat back.
Here’s the link to the product. Scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see it.

Here’s a link to their explanation of the product. They guarantee no CEL.

Here’s a link to them installing it.
For $35, it seems like a very simple solution to deleting the AFM valves while still making it easy to reinstall the valves if necessary.
simon18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
All you do is turn off the AFM valves in the FSCM controller via HPtuners and you won't get the CEL for the valves being removed from the exhaust. It costs 50.00 to license the FSCM and I don't believe it trips the flash counter on the ECU(don't quote me) for those that are worried about warranty.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:58 AM   #12
302SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon18 View Post
Here’s the link to the product. Scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see it.

Here’s a link to their explanation of the product. They guarantee no CEL.

Here’s a link to them installing it.
For $35, it seems like a very simple solution to deleting the AFM valves while still making it easy to reinstall the valves if necessary.

Thank you. I'll be buying one of those and the exhaust this week. Sorry for the late reply, been working a lot of OT.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
What the exhaust manufacturers are saying is the mid pipes delete the AFM valves, and that causes a CEL. I know Borla has a mid pipe that keeps that AFM valves, but that shit is $$$. Part number 60610.

Honestly just skip getting an aftermarket mid pipe. I wish I didn't. That would have been a lot of money saved.
I think I'll do that as well, I can always do the rest. Thank you!