Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Jtmurillo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Loud, deep, and throaty

I have long tube headers, high flow cats, resonator delete, x-pipe and am looking for an axle back that would compliment those and give me the absolute loudest, deep, throaty sound. I do not daily drive so too loud is not a problem, I just want it to be DEEP. Thanks!
Jtmurillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
taz1727

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I run the factory npp exhaust from the catback, IMO its the best sounding. Really deep but not so loud that they can hear you from a mile away
K&N Intake/ Pray Ported TB/ GPI Rod-Mod Intake Manifold/ GPI Ported Heads/ GPI SS3 Cam/ TSP 1-7/8" LTH to NPP/ Z/28 Diff/ Hendrix Offset Bushings/ BMR Delrin Cradle Bushings/ Pedders 27/32mm Sway Bars/ 1LE Shocks & Struts/ BMR 1.25 Springs/ Mishimoto Catch Can
taz1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I have Stainless Works chambered exhaust. It makes it sound like the old school muscle cars. If you want just straight up loud though then get the SLP Loudmouth.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
Long tubes, hi-flo cats,straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes.Loud and throaty with no drone. Sounds awesome IMO
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Deep is going to be Magnaflow Competition, Stainless Works Retro Chambered, or GM NPP. Straight pipes will not be deep like those exhausts, but it would be loud. I ran straight pipes with long tubes and no cats before I installed my cam and I could only tolerate it for a few weeks. It sounded great, but it was just so loud...and I like loud. But this was on another level. Like NASCAR loud. Plus, it doesn't filter out the harsher, more raspy tones that a proper muffled setup would.

If this was my car/choice I would be going with the Magnaflow. The SW Retro sounds amazing, but I have heard of issues regarding reduced flow as the mufflers they use neck down to near 2 inches inside, and it uses 4 mufflers for their catback. This is likely only an issue on boosted applications though. Npp sounds great as well but you will probably have to go with a used setup, which means locating and shipping one if not found locally. Then you need to figure out how you will control the valves if you plan to use them.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
SSJ2

I agree with the "Nascar" loud. Car was this way when I bought it.Could really only enjoy it in short periods at a time. But once I had an exhaust shop put jpipes on it. Its a whole new beast, doesn't bother me at all anymore. Honestly wouldn't want it any other way.Friend of mine has a Corsa exhaust on his 5th gen.Granted it's better than stock but it's too quiet for me but in his defense he doesn't have headers yet. Next mod he's planning Maybe I'm spoiled because my cars been this way in the couple months I've owned it.
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I would be curious to hear it with J pipes. I wish I had them with my FM Outlaws as the drone is obnoxious, but I tolerate it since it sounds so damn good. I assume J pipes on straight pipes probably sounds very close to the Solo cat back since that it what their exhaust looks like.

I remember when I was still straight piped and I would floor it....my god it sounded so sick.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
SSJ2

Before the jpipes I would describe it as wild and unruly.After the pipes it seemed to tone it down a bit and pull it all together. I had my doubts they would do anything to help. Glad I was wrong.

Only sound clip I have is with my phone and sound didn't come through right. Phone auto quieted it down I think.Start up was right then volume went way down making it hard to hear. Was going to try and get a better clip this weekend. If I can I will send you the clip.
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #9
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Borla Atak, Flowmaster Outlaw or Flowmaster American Thunder

Any one of these three will make it rattle your teeth loose.

Best of luck!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
kooks long tube headers,JB high flow cats,X-pipe, Flowmaster 409 thunder. It's Ok but my QTP cutouts is much better.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Deep is going to be Magnaflow Competition, Stainless Works Retro Chambered, or GM NPP. Straight pipes will not be deep like those exhausts, but it would be loud. I ran straight pipes with long tubes and no cats before I installed my cam and I could only tolerate it for a few weeks. It sounded great, but it was just so loud...and I like loud. But this was on another level. Like NASCAR loud. Plus, it doesn't filter out the harsher, more raspy tones that a proper muffled setup would.

If this was my car/choice I would be going with the Magnaflow. The SW Retro sounds amazing, but I have heard of issues regarding reduced flow as the mufflers they use neck down to near 2 inches inside, and it uses 4 mufflers for their catback. This is likely only an issue on boosted applications though. Npp sounds great as well but you will probably have to go with a used setup, which means locating and shipping one if not found locally. Then you need to figure out how you will control the valves if you plan to use them.

We have similar builds, Cam Motion LLSR 235-244 114+4, Jesel shaft mounted rockers, 3600 stall, SW retro 3" catback, I didn't notice any neck 2" neck down anywhere, closer to 3" w/o measuring. It definitely has the rumble of a muscle car, (I grew up during the muscle car decade and had 426 hemi roadrunner with slight mods, wife had a '68 Charger 440 R/T, both same metallic green, 4M) definitely a lot of air coming out the exhaust.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I love my Solo Mach XL catback for a good quality "old school muscle car" sound, but if you're after deep you won't hear any deeper than Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback. It really is a DEEP tone especially with high flow cats to cut out the rasp. I too have heard the rumor about the flow questions, but the buddy of mine who is running it as a true 3" exhaust had higher numbers on the dyno than others with a 2.5" exhaust so I don't know how much truth there is to that myth.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #13
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Borla Atak, Flowmaster Outlaw or Flowmaster American Thunder

Any one of these three will make it rattle your teeth loose.

Best of luck!

Agreed. I've got the Flowmaster Outlaws... have had them since 2012, and very happy still. Here's an old audio/video clip;

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #14
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Blu Duce;
You got me hooked on the electric cutouts, my headers,HF cats,resonator deleted x-pipe & Borla Atak mufflers is a loud system,but the cut outs are louder, happy I finally had my set installed.Thanks for the great mod idea!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote