Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #29
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Just wanted to mention something about the self calibrations comment. The ecm has basically set values and uses the o2 sensors to fine-tune (adding or reducing fuel). The numbers never actually change, the o2s just add or reduce fuel as it seems needed on the fly. If it is constantly lean or rich the o2s have what's called a long term fuel trim where it will store a bit of data saying it always this or that so we will start with adding or reducing this much to begin with. Pulling the battery can clear that long term trim, kinda starting back from scratch.

The kicker is our o2 sensors are narrow band, meaning they are only built to look in a small range of data. If youre outside of that range it might try and add fuel or lean things out when you don't want it to. That's why it's important to have a wide band sensor so you know what things are doing. Cause it may be rich in most of the rpm range but have a lean spike that the computer can't see and just continues to lean the set tune out.

One last thing. The tune usually switches to the maf sensor after a certain rpm and doesn't use the o2 sensors. So if that's off you may be fine driving around town with the o2 sensors doing their job but once you get on the gas what ever is set into the tune is what your going to get.
I am not 100% certain on this for the new stuff, but the way the GM control system has worked for the past 20 years has always been it uses the what air it calculates in power enrichment mode plus any positive fuel trim (from when it was lean and the o2 is attempting to positively add fuel). If the fuel trim was negative the ECM will ignore it. This is a safety factor built in to ensure just this point.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #30
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Is there any installation help?

I can't find anything.....

I am excited by the results video!!

Maybe I will buy another TM TB just fir fun. He says his latest version is even better. Results will vary....
Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #31
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Is there any installation help?

I can't find anything.....

I am excited by the results video!!

Maybe I will buy another TM TB just fir fun. He says his latest version is even better. Results will vary....
What do U need help with?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #32
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvs510 View Post
What do U need help with?
I have replaced my IM before with a ported MSD, it's no big deal. And I know about the Maf extension. But there was another connection where the discussion talked about a vaccum connector that had to be added. A brake booster fitting?

I am going to try it either way. I want to torque my IM to the spec and use the less extreme loctite, but then I hear very experienced modders say just snug up the bolts twice and fuggetabout it.

It's not easy for us lightweights to just dive in with no swimmies. But dive in I will.

This looks like the best LT1 bolton ever without a tune since the 5th gen LS3 CAI CAI and a scoop.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:03 AM   #33
Dvs510

Quote:
I have replaced my IM before with a ported MSD, it's no big deal. And I know about the Maf extension. But there was another connection where the discussion talked about a vaccum connector that had to be added. A brake booster fitting?

I am going to try it either way. I want to torque my IM to the spec and use the less extreme loctite, but then I hear very experienced modders say just snug up the bolts twice and fuggetabout it.

It's not easy for us lightweights to just dive in with no swimmies. But dive in I will.

This looks like the best LT1 bolton ever without a tune since the 5th gen LS3 CAI CAI and a scoop.
If u haven’t bought the manifold already then purchase it from gpi and have them install the booster port And shave the bottom side to fit over fuel lines... I haven’t put any thread lock on mine either, I just keep checking the torque every few weeks. Hoping at some point they stop backing off.. if uve already done a manifold swap before then u shouldn’t have any problem though
Old 10-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #34
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Quote:
If u haven’t bought the manifold already then purchase it from gpi and have them install the booster port And shave the bottom side to fit over fuel lines... I haven’t put any thread lock on mine either, I just keep checking the torque every few weeks. Hoping at some point they stop backing off.. if uve already done a manifold swap before then u shouldn’t have any problem though
My original bolts had blue thread locker on them, I installed the bolts with blue thread locker and have had no back out at all.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #35
Fraxum

Quote:
Aha! Thank you. I bought the modded GPI LT2 IM but then I was reading about how to hook up the booster port and the fitting needed which I bought. Doh! But then GPI did this for me so it is a bolt on! They did say that. I just looked at it and it is there. Double Doh!

I will look up the inch pounds and pattern and get the lightest locktight. I remember with my MSD having to re snug them also.

And I remember when I took it off for porting one of the top bolts was stripped. I was so careful! The original installer at Ted's shop must have "oversnugged" it.

Light use of light locktight sounds like a good idea. I want to put on the IM and Corvette cover I have and fugetabout it.

I wonder if my Chevy dealer will bust my balls about the C8 IM. I don't really don't care about that. But its a Chevy part!

Looking at how GM engineered the IM I bet they will put this IM on a special edition HighPo SS with a few more tweaks like the C8 Cam and no launch bog. They might call the SS version the LS6 or do an LT1 model version called the L88 with a nice chrome badge on the fender.

Look how much mileage Ford is getting with the GT350 IM. On that that new Camaro version they can open up the exhaust a bit with NPP flaps open and get to 500 HP easy. What if the LT1-L88 model was $38K? It would be faster than the original. How many of those would they sell? Most over list I bet. And then put that engine in the Blazer! Use the Ford tactics and think like Dodge. Sorry too much coffee....
Old 10-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #36
Dvs510

Quote:
Aha! Thank you. I bought the modded GPI LT2 IM but then I was reading about how to hook up the booster port and the fitting needed which I bought. Doh! But then GPI did this for me so it is a bolt on! They did say that. I just looked at it and it is there. Double Doh!

I will look up the inch pounds and pattern and get the lightest locktight. I remember with my MSD having to re snug them also.

And I remember when I took it off for porting one of the top bolts was stripped. I was so careful! The original installer at Ted's shop must have "oversnugged" it.

Light use of light locktight sounds like a good idea. I want to put on the IM and Corvette cover I have and fugetabout it.

I wonder if my Chevy dealer will bust my balls about the C8 IM. I don't really don't care about that. But its a Chevy part!

Looking at how GM engineered the IM I bet they will put this IM on a special edition HighPo SS with a few more tweaks like the C8 Cam and no launch bog. They might call the SS version the LS6 or do an LT1 model version called the L88 with a nice chrome badge on the fender.

Look how much mileage Ford is getting with the GT350 IM. On that that new Camaro version they can open up the exhaust a bit with NPP flaps open and get to 500 HP easy. What if the LT1-L88 model was $38K? It would be faster than the original. How many of those would they sell? Most over list I bet. And then put that engine in the Blazer! Use the Ford tactics and think like Dodge. Sorry too much coffee....
U can use the msd install instructions for pattern and torque.. I believe it’s 44 inpnds first pass then 89 inpnds final pass... the one thing I have noticed with the 3 lt2 manifolds I’ve installed so far that we’re done by gpi, they did an awesome job on them but I noticed the rib on the back side along the bottom edge needs to be shaved off too. It’s just a small piece tho. It might bolt on fine with it but I didn’t like how it was actualy touching the fuel pump
Old 10-18-2020, 12:17 AM   #37
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
what is all this talk about manifold bolts backing off? i've done 4 intake manifold swaps and never had an issue. have never followed "instructions", either.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:11 AM   #38
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
what is all this talk about manifold bolts backing off? i've done 4 intake manifold swaps and never had an issue. have never followed "instructions", either.
Did you use the sleeves or just the bolts?

The only issue I can see does the placement of the bolts on the LT2 manifold sit a tad higher because obviously the intake is higher. I am concerned about this to, are in fact the bolts thread now long enough to keep a snug fit? Because all you have to look at is the half shafts on 2016 Camaro SS bolts backed out because the bolts where not long enough. I know because my half shaft did pop out. They issued a TSB and a need for longer bolts.

It’s a valid concern and maybe blue medium Loctite® Threadlocker 242 is needed possibly.

Wish I had a 2020 Corvette intake manifold bolt to compare with.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 10-18-2020 at 08:12 AM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #39
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Did you use the sleeves or just the bolts?

The only issue I can see does the placement of the bolts on the LT2 manifold sit a tad higher because obviously the intake is higher. I am concerned about this to, are in fact the bolts thread now long enough to keep a snug fit? Because all you have to look at is the half shafts on 2016 Camaro SS bolts backed out because the bolts where not long enough. I know because my half shaft did pop out. They issued a TSB and a need for longer bolts.

It’s a valid concern and maybe blue medium Loctite® Threadlocker 242 is needed possibly.

Wish I had a 2020 Corvette intake manifold bolt to compare with.
sleeves and bolts. my LT2 was on for over a month before i removed it. i put about 1k miles on it and 25? 1-4 pulls. 0 issues.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #40
Fraxum

Thanks! All good to know. On the Gen 6es I only have experience with a MSD installed by someone else who might have overtightened the bolts.

And thanks for the fuel pump tip, I will look at that. Now I need to figure out where that is. LOL. Part of the fun.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #41
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
sleeves and bolts. my LT2 was on for over a month before i removed it. i put about 1k miles on it and 25? 1-4 pulls. 0 issues.
Why did you take your LT2 off, going MSD?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #42
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Why did you take your LT2 off, going MSD?
yep.