Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #15
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Buy once, cry once. I try to buy what I think is the very best product. ARH for me
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Great know you guys got me thinking. Haven't even received my order yet and know I'm kinda regretting it. But the difference from Kooks to ARH was $1200.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:27 AM   #17
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Muscle View Post
My $0.02:

I think we all wish modding the LT4 was cheaper. Good headers are expensive. I would put KOOKS, ARH, and Stainless Works / CSP in the same bucket as the "best" quality / fit for our cars. KOOKS has the best regarded high flow cat for LSx / LTx boosted cars. There are some budget Camaro6 headers out there, but I would highly recommend you speak with the shop that will be installing them before you buy China headers. You can also buy green cats and add them down the road if you find the catless scent to be too over-powering. IMO, it's not nearly as bad on this direct injected LTx as it is on LSx cars. This could provide the savings you need to get plug wires and a CC.

Lastly, your car will be insanely loud at anything above 30% throttle with headers and AWE touring catback. If you are worried about the wife's reaction to catless scent...jsut wait till she hears the car. Ask me know I know....(I am back to the OEM muffler now).
First of all, the wife's reaction comment made me laugh out loud and had my daughter staring at me as if I were nuts! I've given this some thought and plan to buy the resonators for the AWE catback when going with catted headers. Even if I don't buy the resonators right away, I figured cats and resonators will at least dampen some of the harshness and loudness of the sound (or is that just wishful thinking?).
As far as some of your great input and others here, my goal wasn't getting catted headers, instal and tune for $2k. I just wanted headers, a good set of cats that will hold up, spark plugs and wires for $2k. Since my post, somebody found exactly that. I received a quote for 1 7/8 Texas Speed catted headers, plugs, wires, and heat shield for $2k (taxes and shipping included). Two issues with this quote is I've read quite a few negative comments on Texas Speed headers having fitment issues and creating noise like something is moving around under the hood and creating added vibration. My second concern was the cats on these headers. Maybe ARH is not A bad option if I can find it for $1600 with cats. That would leave enough room for plugs and wires.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:31 AM   #18
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What does Cordes say? Unless you push boost past something like about 14-psi or so, it's my understanding you probably won't have much to worry about regarding the cats. It isn't like you couldn't find aftermarket cats to go on an LT set either. I bet Cordes has lots of input and could guide you.

I can tell you, personally, CSP has been great to me. Ted Jannetti has been great, too.
I appreciate the response and plan to take your advice and speak to Jannetti about a 2nd opinion for a resolution.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:38 AM   #19
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSB View Post
Get Texas Speed headers and save yourself some money. No need to spend $2k on headers. With the coin you save get a pulley.

I will add that headers are going to make your car very loud.
I ended up adding a couple of resonators inline which made a big difference.
Thanks Jason! Texas Speed catted headers are exactly what was recommended to me to fit my budget and criteria. I can have TSP catted headers, plugs, wires and heat shield shipped, with taxes for $2k.
Questions: any issues with fitment or additional sound or vibration coming from the headers? Also, did you go catless or did you buy the TSP catted headers? If you did buy the catted version, how's the smell? I keep reading that some cats still have a strong smell, while others do not...

Old 09-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Catted or not catted I’m sure there’s still a stronger smell than stock because of the increased flow.

I went with 2” kooks cattless. Smell is not an issue unless the car is idling A couple of minutes inside the garage (with the garage door open of course).

Fitment is great and the 2” headers allowed for more mods which I did shortly after.

If I could give my opinion on mods:

1. Perfect daily: RF Big Gulp, ported stock SC, 9.1 lower or 2.3 upper, 2” headers, plugs/wires, 103TB, , Cordes reservoir, catch can, and maybe a little Meth. It’s a bit pricey but it’ll drive like stock and haul the mail.

2. Weekend warrior: same as option 1 but with cam. (I went this route and love it).

3. Weekend/race: same as 1 and 2 but Mag 2650 with low side or voltage booster.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #21
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I'm running the Speed Engineering 1 7/8, no need for 2" till your 900 plus in my opinion. Both primaries still have to exit thru 3" collectors. The smaller diameter should provide more torque then the 2" also for drag racing, street and road racing. Markoz has given you a great route to additional mods.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #22
JasonSB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
Thanks Jason! Texas Speed catted headers are exactly what was recommended to me to fit my budget and criteria. I can have TSP catted headers, plugs, wires and heat shield shipped, with taxes for $2k.
Questions: any issues with fitment or additional sound or vibration coming from the headers? Also, did you go catless or did you buy the TSP catted headers? If you did buy the catted version, how's the smell? I keep reading that some cats still have a strong smell, while others do not...
No fitment issues with the 1 7/8 headers. Some have complained about the 2 inch being a tight fit.
I have the catted version and the smell is fine. Although I do run E30 which helps.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #23
sage85z28

Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowtie1 View Post
I put ARH on recently with high flow cats and arh long system into factory suitcase. I am extremely happy with the set up. ARH told me 800 hp is the failure time for cats.
I am in the process of putting the same system on my car. How did you get the passenger side header on top or bottom? I stopped at this point today and was looking at each option but since you have don’t this already.
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #24
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Both sides from bottom
Old 09-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #25
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
I have the ARH 2" no cats to factory NPP muffler and couldn't be happier.
I am at 925 RWHP.
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #26
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
1004 rwhp 1 7/8 almost 3 years old not 1 problem.. 599.00 TSP.. Save the money for other mods! Bought on blk friday sale. ridiculous price for such a great product & w great performance! been modding cars since 92 these looked every bit as good as FLP on my old 96 z28 (finish line performance) Kooks on my 5 th gen, Borla on the wifes 16 (very thin and cheap looking) and now TSP I've installed all these headers not 1 single problem from any sets no fitment n0 rust, nothing! the days of cheap headers is gone.. even the BBK are stout I saw a set over at phastek a while back.

ARH system 2000 or so.. net profit for a shop to resale as a vender 300 maybe more

TSP system 600 to 800... reasler makes 75.00 bucks

you tell me what a speedshop wants to push!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 09-16-2020 at 10:05 AM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Go Gesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
If you don't buy green cats, you'll be buying a cat-back sooner than later and who knows, maybe an engine. Supercharged, high HP builds like the LT4 do not play nice with aftermarket cats. GESI cats are the way to go. But they're a very pretty penny, as you've seen. Unfortunately, it's sort of mandatory.

I know there have been a lot of successful builds with regular "high flow" cats but I've seen too many fail personally to trust it on any car that I cared about. Once those cats blow out, you'll have a mess.

Also, ARH and Kooks are the only headers I'd ever put on my cars. Between the two, I'd give ARH the nod as a slight notch above as they use US sourced steel whereas the rumor was Kooks does not and ARH has not had quite as many fitment issues as early Kooks 2" did. Some of this may have changed by now.

JMO.
+1
Old 09-25-2020, 03:06 AM   #28
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
1004 rwhp 1 7/8 almost 3 years old not 1 problem.. 599.00 TSP.. Save the money for other mods! Bought on blk friday sale. ridiculous price for such a great product & w great performance! been modding cars since 92 these looked every bit as good as FLP on my old 96 z28 (finish line performance) Kooks on my 5 th gen, Borla on the wifes 16 (very thin and cheap looking) and now TSP I've installed all these headers not 1 single problem from any sets no fitment n0 rust, nothing! the days of cheap headers is gone.. even the BBK are stout I saw a set over at phastek a while back.

ARH system 2000 or so.. net profit for a shop to resale as a vender 300 maybe more

TSP system 600 to 800... reasler makes 75.00 bucks

you tell me what a speedshop wants to push!
They're being very specific: Kooks or ARH if I want to go catted. As of recent, they told me that they won't install anything that's not purchased directly from them (the tuner shop). That immediately deterred me from doing business with them, even if they are a well known shop for our cars. I have found another shop for the install.