#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
zain

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
car has only 3000miles on it, not to say that it couldn't be off from the factory but the waggle goes away when i turn off the traction control. as long as i roll the throttle appropriately to keep it from breaking traction...
I have had this issue since day 1.
check my post below:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575097
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Many threads on this... I listed a few here.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500793

Glad you got a fix
Old 06-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
The entire rear suspension is inadequate. My 2018 A10 would kick the back end out dangerously to either side under full throttle loads at 50 or 60mph on factory goodyear 3R's. You can change to solid rear cradle bushings like the 1LE as a fix.
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #18
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
mine does the same under hard acceleration. A little side to side waggle so to speak. But i turned off the traction control and it goes away. Its your Elsd rear end keeping you from spinning tires someone may correct me if im wrong... Hit the Traction Control button =TC button and it will go away however you gotta watch the rear end now be careful if you are new to No Nannies on in the car. She may get away from you...
I have not had mine aligned. During normal driving, it doesn't feel like it needs an alignment. I'm no expert, but after reading about this for a couple of years, I'm somewhat under the impression that the cause is different for everyone, but many seem to think it comes from movement in the rear cradle, whatever that specifically means.

It's kind of funny how the same issues get different opinions on the cause over time on this forum. I have not really messed with the traction control or the performance settings such as wet/dry, race 1 race 2, etc. To be honest, on the street I couldn't tell any difference messing around with all of the nannies and settings.

Just based on my readings and experiences, I think these cars are just built and designed in a way that can make hard acceleration an adventure. Like anything else, it's probably worse on some cars than others. All I know is that in certain instances, it can be quite unnerving to the point that you feel the need to back out of it in order to maintain control.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #19
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
My car doesn't really pull, but it feels like the rear end is swaying back and forth. My 5th gen SS really felt like it was in the front end, but this ZL1 definitely is coming from the rear. I was planning on doing something about locking the rear cradle, or whatever I've seen others talk about on here. The handling under hard acceleration is sketchy at best. Bought the car with 1700 miles. It's done it since day one.
This! There is a wiggle on hard acceleration that is built in and has nothing to do with alignment. There are some fixes related to the rear cradle--add ZL1 E pieces or aftermarket. Or get used to the wiggle on hard acceleration. My car was a 2018 ZL1 A10.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #20
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
I

Just based on my readings and experiences, I think these cars are just built and designed in a way that can make hard acceleration an adventure. Like anything else, it's probably worse on some cars than others. All I know is that in certain instances, it can be quite unnerving to the point that you feel the need to back out of it in order to maintain control.
This was well. Take off traction control and hit it, especially on cold, worn OEM tires and an adventure you shall have! I have had many sports cars (including three vets and two Vipers) and many 1000cc Sport bikes (and HPDE track days with all of these) and I almost looped my '18 ZL1 A10 on more than one occasion under hard acceleration.

My current 2020 BMW M5 Competition (with around 720 hp) with AWD has no such drama. The "Adventure" that you speak of is definitely a design feature of the ZL1. That said, the ZL1 is an awesome car (one of my all-time favorites) and was relatively under control under hard acceleration with the nannies on. If they put the LT5 motor in this car I will buy another one to add to the M5C!
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #21
zain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
This was well. Take off traction control and hit it, especially on cold, worn OEM tires and an adventure you shall have! I have had many sports cars (including three vets and two Vipers) and many 1000cc Sport bikes (and HPDE track days with all of these) and I almost looped my '18 ZL1 A10 on more than one occasion under hard acceleration.

My current 2020 BMW M5 Competition (with around 720 hp) with AWD has no such drama. The "Adventure" that you speak of is definitely a design feature of the ZL1. That said, the ZL1 is an awesome car (one of my all-time favorites) and was relatively under control under hard acceleration with the nannies on. If they put the LT5 motor in this car I will buy another one to add to the M5C!
Old 06-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #22
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
None of this is present on my ZL1, car works perfectly out of the box. Here is a youtube movie on the racetrack with factory alignment. On this run I use ZL1 1LE rims/tires (3R in 305/325), but the car is equally fun on the standard Goodyear 3 tires.

cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #23
zain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
None of this is present on my ZL1, car works perfectly out of the box.
You are lucky!
Old 06-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #24
BigJ408

Drives: Vert ZL1
My 2019 Z had 2000 miles, and it swaying back and forth on the lower gears pulls, It didn't feel like a loss of traction but a rocking side to side. Did some research most in cases it was the aliment.

Then I took my car in for an oil change at the dealership, I had them check the aliment under warranty. The result came back, the aliment was off. I think it was the toe that was off... so my rear wheels were like this /\ , instead of ||. But once i got it done problem went away. I also read it can come back because our aliment doesn't hold well on these cars for bunch of reason. I am not sure if that is true or rumors. But time will tell and if I get the rock side to side again. I will have it re-aliment and probably replace those one time use bolts that they talk about.

I have pics of my aliment report if you want to see it.
BigJ408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
None of this is present on my ZL1, car works perfectly out of the box. Here is a youtube movie on the racetrack with factory alignment. On this run I use ZL1 1LE rims/tires (3R in 305/325), but the car is equally fun on the standard Goodyear 3 tires.
I will say on a road course I had no issues especially turning with side to side loads. Mine was on the drag strip or just hard take-offs or straight line accelerations. This was the ZL1... the ZLE has no issues at all.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #26
zain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ408 View Post
My 2019 Z had 2000 miles, and it swaying back and forth on the lower gears pulls, It didn't feel like a loss of traction but a rocking side to side. Did some research most in cases it was the aliment.

Then I took my car in for an oil change at the dealership, I had them check the aliment under warranty. The result came back, the aliment was off. I think it was the toe that was off... so my rear wheels were like this /\ , instead of ||. But once i got it done problem went away. I also read it can come back because our aliment doesn't hold well on these cars for bunch of reason. I am not sure if that is true or rumors. But time will tell and if I get the rock side to side again. I will have it re-aliment and probably replace those one time use bolts that they talk about.

I have pics of my aliment report if you want to see it.
Its basically like what you have described, however I believe mine was way off. sometimes I had to let go the gas just to bring the car back to a straight line! It was crazy! friends thinking I had my traction off! not really something you should have with such a powerful car. As for doing the alignment regularly, I cant really confirm, someone posted here that this needs to be done every 2k! which is worrying as I have lost two tires because of this issue not to mention that the car was not stable at all. I have had toe-in with negative camber on rear wheels with minor toe-in on front ones.It will be good to share the alignment report if possible. Many Thanks!