Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #29
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Well the good thing is that the excellent ATS chasis stayed on the great 6th gen Camaro which has a much better V8 engine.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
And a Chevy ZL1 with the 1LE and the LT4 is any easier to understand?
If you don't know, Chevy names their car packages after the literal RPO codes. They have been for over 50 years. This is heritage, not some good throwing random alphanumeric's together for the heck of it hoping it sounds cool. ZL1, Z28, and on was an option for the first gen, the engine designations are constantly recycled. 1LE goes back 30 years or so at least.

Now how some of the RPO's started specifically I don't know. They were likely randomly generated, as they were made for the production process, a guy on the suspension assembly line knows what to install on this car when he sees the suspension RPO on the build sheet. It's simple, but it works and it stuck for this long. But someone decided it sounded good enough to be a name, or either had zero imagination to come up with a specific one.

Edit: looked around and I was right, first 1LE was in 88. Only 4 were made.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 05-12-2018 at 08:28 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #31
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
I don’t mind the RPO codes with Chevy. The alpha-numeric nomenclature in the luxury market is a little boring but it’s easy to understand(unless it’s a Lexus or Infiniti).

Audi:
Q: SUV
A: regular car
S: sporty car
RS: high performance car

And there’s everything from an A1 to a Q8.

BMW:
The first number indicates the class, second numbers indicate trim/engine, X means SUV, X-drive indicates all-wheel drive, M followed by three digits is their equivalent of a V-Sport, and M followed by a single digit indicates a true M car.

Mercedes:
A:Compact
C: mid-size
E: full-size
S: large
CL_: cheap luxury?

Numbers indicate the engine, AMG is the performance brand.

It’s all gibberish unless you read up on them, just like it is for Europeans when they hear ZL1 1LE or Z06 Z07.

Will the CT4 and CT5 share the Alpha II? They put a lot of money into that chassis for it to not be used on both.

Last edited by Quinten_33; 05-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I just hate to see truly full size sedans go away. Cadillac, if anyone, should make the largest, gaudiest, roomiest, most expensive full size sedan of them all....(and call it the El Dorado...lol)...It looks like they are down-sizing, though...

I haven't heard of Mercedes feeling any market pressure to quit making full-size (E) or even larger (S) cars...

Maybe my lowly Impala (cousin of the soon to be discontinued XTS?) might hang on to be the biggest GM car for a while, or not....Looks like the CT6 is slightly bigger, but a heck of a lot pricier...55-90K....lol....

Last edited by 90503; 05-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #33
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
I don’t mod the RPO codes with Chevy. The alpha-numeric nomenclature in the luxury market is a little boring but it’s easy to understand(unless it’s a Lexus or Infiniti).

Audi:
Q: SUV
A: regular car
S: sporty car
RS: high performance car

And there’s everything from an A1 to a Q8.

BMW:
The first number indicates the class, second numbers indicate trim/engine, X means SUV, X-drive indicates all-wheel drive, M followed by three digits is their equivalent of a V-Sport, and M followed by a single digit indicates a true M car.

Mercedes:
A:Compact
C: mid-size
E: full-size
S: large
CL_: cheap luxury?

Numbers indicate the engine, AMG is the performance brand.

It’s all gibberish unless you read up on them, just like it is for Europeans when they hear ZL1 1LE or Z06 Z07.

Will the CT4 and CT5 share the Alpha II? They put a lot of money into that chassis for it to not be used on both.
Most of MB is simply using the segment classification used in Europe.

A: mini cars (8.7%)
B: small cars (26%)
C: medium cars (23%)
D: large cars (11%)
E: executive cars (3%)
F: luxury cars (0.3%)
J: sport utility cars (including off-road vehicles) (13%)
M: Multi purpose cars (13%)
S: Sports cars (1%)

As for the new Cadillac it is even easier

X or C for Cross Over or car
T for fun I guess
4, 5, 6 for size

We will see if they balk when the new Escalade comes out in a year or so. Can't imagine them renaming it the XT7...................

As for the CT4, I don't see them going down in size with A2xx. It's one thing to do a wheel base off an architecture, it's a completely different thing to do a car in another segment. But it can be done. The CTS is compromised being off the Alpha architecture, which was designed as a small car.

Looking forward to seeing where they go. Before Alpha was approved they did a 60 day study on taking the car off of the Delta architecture (similar to MB FWD/AWD). This biggest complaints about the ATS are back seat room and trunk space. Back seat is a joke, but we have found the trunk reasonable. But it's not clear how you make a car smaller and improve on both of those complaints.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #34
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Most of MB is simply using the segment classification used in Europe.

A: mini cars (8.7%)
B: small cars (26%)
C: medium cars (23%)
D: large cars (11%)
E: executive cars (3%)
F: luxury cars (0.3%)
J: sport utility cars (including off-road vehicles) (13%)
M: Multi purpose cars (13%)
S: Sports cars (1%)

As for the new Cadillac it is even easier

T for fun I guess
4, 5, 6 for size

We will see if they balk when the new Escalade comes out in a year or so. Can't imagine them renaming it the XT7...................

As for the CT4, I don't see them going down in size with A2xx. It's one thing to do a wheel base off an architecture, it's a completely different thing to do a car in another segment. But it can be done. The CTS is compromised being off the Alpha architecture, which was designed as a small car.

Looking forward to seeing where they go. Before Alpha was approved they did a 60 day study on taking the car off of the Delta architecture (similar to MB FWD/AWD). This biggest complaints about the ATS are back seat room and trunk space. Back seat is a joke, but we have found the trunk reasonable. But it's not clear how you make a car smaller and improve on both of those complaints.
I don’t think that the Escalade will be renamed. It’d be smart to give proper names to their top SUV, Sedan, and Coupe.

So would the CT4 use the Alpha II and the CT5 use a larger architecture? That’d give the CT5 more interior room but leave the ATS with the size problem. Perhaps the CT4 could utilize a liftback design for more efficient cargo space, allowing the rear seats to move further back. I’d also expect tighter powertrain fitment which could further increase interior room. My biggest complaint with Cadillac is that Toyota and Kia are matching the interior quality of some of their cars, and that’s unacceptable from a luxury brand. They need to overhaul their interior design and materials across the board.

Edit: Maybe I’m exaggerating their interior design and materials, but the assembly quality is dismal.

Last edited by Quinten_33; 05-13-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3
....the new Cadillac it is even easier

T for fun I guess
4, 5, 6 for size
A holdover from a previous naming scheme. T is for Touring. There once was a trim level of the Deville called Deville Touring Sedan, or DTS. The entire Deville line was replaced by DTS and then XTS. There used to be an STS that grew out of the Seville Touring Sedan. CTS? Catera Touring Sedan.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 05-13-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #36

Found this for Mercedes...lol..

A-Class – Hatchback
B-Class – Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)
C-Class – Saloon, Estate, Coupé and Cabriolet
CLA-Class – 4 Door Coupé and Estate
CLS-Class – 4 Door Coupé and Estate
E-Class – Saloon, Estate, Coupé and Cabriolet
G-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLA-Class – Compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)/ Crossover
GLC-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLE-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLS-Class – Large Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
S-Class – Luxury Saloon, Coupé & Cabriolet
SL-Class – Grand Tourer
SLC-Class – Roadster
V-Class – Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)/ Van
AMG GT – Sports car/ Supercar
X-Class - Luxury Pickup Truck
Old 05-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #37

Forbes article from a little while ago...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgep.../#6b4dfe696dad
Cadillac Evolving to Naming Rationale That Makes Sense

But finally there has been a discussion of alphanumeric naming strategy that actually makes sense. Cadillac’s naming strategy has been a hodge-podge of letters – STS, ATS, CTS, DTS, XLR, ELR, SRX, XTS. What are they? What do they mean? Johan de Nysschen, head of General Motors GM Cadillac Divison explains Cadillac’s new naming strategy like this. Cadillac is challenged to become a global brand. While loving the glamor and emotion tied to old Cadillac names like Eldorado, Seville, DeVille, Biarritz, and Fleetwood, these names have little meaning outside the United States. Instead, adopting an alphanumeric naming strategy will help Cadillac dealers and customers understand where the product fits in the Cadillac vehicle hierarchy. Going forward, cars will start with CT (Cadillac Touring) plus a number. The first car using that naming strategy is the new Cadillac CT6. Crossover SUVs, of which Cadillac will eventually have four, start with XT (Crossover Touring) plus a number. The new Cadillac XT5 is the first crossover to use the strategy as it replaces the SRX. Of course, like Lincoln, Cadillac has the Escalade riding atop the lineup as its flagship. A brand of its own.

"CT_" Cadillac Touring

Last edited by 90503; 05-13-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #38
SK GT

Drives: 18 Colorado ZR2, 17 1LE(sold)
As long as we don't get into Lincoln naming conventions things should be fine.
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK GT View Post
As long as we don't get into Lincoln naming conventions things should be fine.
Lincoln you ask?...(Sorry...lol)

From the Forbes article:

Lincoln’s Move to Letters Confused Management, Dealers, Salespeople and Customers Lincoln fell into the same trap changing to alpha naming with three letters all starting with MK (Mark). Even Ford management could not keep the naming straight and have been caught saying MKZ when they mean MKS or MKX. When a prospective customer comes into a Lincoln showroom the buyer likely does not know what to ask for and the salesperson does not know which product to focus on.
Interestingly, Lincoln kept the Navigator name on its top of the line luxury sports utility vehicle instead of calling it “MKN”. Why? Well, “it’s a brand in itself” say Lincoln managers. The upcoming 2017 Lincoln luxury car that replaces the MKS sedan returns to an actual name with “ Continental ” – a historic Lincoln name. This was done to position the car better in China. CHINA? But now Continental exists among a list of alphas – MKZ, Continental, MKX, MKC. Will Lincoln return to names or remain a confusing mess?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
A holdover from a previous naming scheme. T is for Touring. There once was a trim level of the Deville called Deville Touring Sedan, or DTS. The entire Deville line was replaced by DTS and then XTS. There used to be an STS that grew out of the Seville Touring Sedan. CTS? Catera Touring Sedan.
I know it used to be touring, just didn't know there was any hold over meaning for the new naming scheme. I'm not sure I would associate an SUV as a touring vehicle in the historical sense. Kind of like GTO
Old 05-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #41
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I know it used to be touring, just didn't know there was any hold over meaning for the new naming scheme. I'm not sure I would associate an SUV as a touring vehicle in the historical sense. Kind of like GTO
Yeah, that’s what I meant by hold over. The letters stayed, even though they no longer held their original meaning.

CTS was being developed when Deville was becoming DTS and Seville was becoming STS, so when it was time to name the replacement for Catera, CTS was the easy obvious choice.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #42
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

Agreed. Can't wait for the introduction of the 2019 CT5 V-Sport powered bya LT4 V-8

HAHAHAHAHAHA
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote