Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #85
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Some tuners also say that a 103 isn't worth it under 700, but there are videos showing there is a gain. Same kind of weather conditions; SAE; etc. So...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #86
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I wonder if there's more to be gained on the A8 than the A10 by TCM tuning because Vengeance and Jannetty don't seem to think its worth doing at 700whp without a cam. You and King both have A8s and probably both have TCM tunes so maybe you are seeing decent gains even in a stock vehicle but maybe it just isn't necessary on the A10 until its time to raise the shift points or torque management becomes an issue with high HP applications.
The A8 stock tune is definitely worse then the A10. Either way You can not fully deal with the cars Torque Management restrictions until you gain access to the TCM. Also tuning the TCM for the ability to launch in second gear can be beneficial is many situations...especially on the street. Imo if you can tune the TCM, then tune the TCM if you are tuning the ECU.

Look at Jorgelovesspeed youtube channel. He has logs posted of his light bolt on Zl1 closing throttle on the launch due to the stock TCM and short shifting.

I believe what Vengeance and Jenetty is saying that you personally won't see a lot of improvement based on how you use your car. And that could be true.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #87
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The A8 stock tune is definitely worse then the A10. Either way You can not fully deal with the cars Torque Management restrictions until you gain access to the TCM. Also tuning the TCM for the ability to launch in second gear can be beneficial is many situations...especially on the street. Imo if you can tune the TCM, then tune the TCM if you are tuning the ECU.

Look at Jorgelovesspeed youtube channel. He has logs posted of his light bolt on Zl1 closing throttle on the launch due to the stock TCM and short shifting.

I believe what Vengeance and Jenetty is saying that you personally won't see a lot of improvement based on how you use your car. And that could be true.
Yea, I won't argue that second gear launch could be beneficial if you're purely drag racing and have enough power that makes first gear practically unusable. That being said, Vengeance and Jannetty didn't ask me how I use my car so I'm inclined to believe just based on the mods I have and whp, that its just not much to be gained to warrant the cost of TCM purchase and tuning.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #88
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Some tuners also say that a 103 isn't worth it under 700, but there are videos showing there is a gain. Same kind of weather conditions; SAE; etc. So...
I don't know how a 103mm would be beneficial without opening the snout in the blower at which point, that's where the real power would be gained in conjunction with the TB. I just can't see any power gains to be had from a larger TB as long as the snout is still the restriction.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #89
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I don't know how a 103mm would be beneficial without opening the snout in the blower at which point, that's where the real power would be gained in conjunction with the TB. I just can't see any power gains to be had from a larger TB as long as the snout is still the restriction.
would a 103 be beneficial on a maggie?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #90
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
would a 103 be beneficial on a maggie?
Yes, with 103mm snout.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #91
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Imo if you can tune the TCM, then tune the TCM if you are tuning the ECU.
I've contacted both HHP and Pray about my TCM tuning, so
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #92
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I've contacted both HHP and Pray about my TCM tuning, so
Jannetty told me that he prefers to the tune the TCM with the ECM if I recall because some tables are needed from the ECM also. Just letting you know up front that it might require both.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #93
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I feel like you're just arguing semantics. Which is fine. I don't need to convince anyone else, nor is that my goal. I like to try to transparently share my experience and what I've read/heard/seen.

I know fully well you can't even run a 95 or 103, without at least an adapter (95), or porting (103). I'm just saying some of these shops might answer questions with a certain frame of mind. I don't know. My point is that there are clearly gains with a 103 .

I'm still interested in what anyone that takes the plunge say. I know that sometimes, for some people, in some circumstances, big gains for them are small gains for others.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #94
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I feel like you're just arguing semantics. Which is fine. I don't need to convince anyone else, nor is that my goal. I like to try to transparently share my experience and what I've read/heard/seen.

I know fully well you can't even run a 95 or 103, without at least an adapter (95), or porting (103). I'm just saying some of these shops might answer questions with a certain frame of mind. I don't know. My point is that there are clearly gains with a 103 .

I'm still interested in what anyone that takes the plunge say. I know that sometimes, for some people, in some circumstances, big gains for them are small gains for others.
Its not semantics though, there is a difference between running a 103mm TB with a ported match snout vs running a 103mm TB with an adapter into a stock snout. I'm just making sure that point is clear.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #95
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Its not semantics though, there is a difference between running a 103mm TB with a ported match snout vs running a 103mm TB with an adapter into a stock snout. I'm just making sure that point is clear.

Always starting trouble you

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #96
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Always starting trouble you
Old 08-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #97
Purplt1

Drives: 2020 ss
Bringing this back..Anyone running the hhp tcm yet?
Old 08-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #98
radz28
Petro-sexual

Not many brave souls, lol. That's a lot of money.

What would be killer is understanding, better, what, for example, did Pray change in Jorge's tune. Was it shift firmness/quickness/1st Gear WOT in the TCM, and the rest in the ECM? I know the person that helped me out (A LOT) made changes in the ECM that changed the behavior and TMA. That car hasn't made it to the track to see if the TM is still there in 1st Gear at WOT, but maybe that's a good safety feature (for the powertrain) to have. Is anyone going to cry over a tenth or two? Maybe. Probably someone like me who like to optimize my combination.

Like King' already said - there's lots in the ECM that helps. He's also mentioned a couple other settings that are only in the TCM. I need to find more answers before I take this plunge. It seems like there are many others in a similar camp, perhaps.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"