Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
neb

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Lifting Car from pinch weld causing quarter panel creases?

Hey i was all set to go buy a good floor jack and some jack stands. Having owned a GTO, G8 etc ive used them before without issue. Im seeing guys talking about having wrinkles showing up in quarter panels from lifting the gen 6 from the rearmost front jacking point? im wanting to put some rock guards on the car, and have the ability to do my own brakes etc. I have debated on going the quickjack route, but then see people bitching they are junk that leaks, lifts unevenly and damn near drops cars too. Race ramps would be fine for oil changes and diff oil im sure, but again rock guards etc i need to take wheels and tires off the car. at least i assume i do to get them installed.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
I have two HF jacks for over 5 years and not one problem with either of them. Would suggest getting yourself a set of LiftPads to attach to the weld points. ZL1Addons makes them, but you can also get the same liftpads, like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, along with a number of sellers on amazon for cheaper. Been on my car for 15 months and still as tight as the day I put them on.

To clarify, I also use hockey pucks between the liftpad and the base plate of the jack, this gives me about 1 inch clearance. I have not had any events like what you described.

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 05-12-2020 at 09:46 AM.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
neb

ok im not worried about the jack or lift points. more worried about the fact i have seen 4 or 5 seperate posts on this and other sites refer to seeing wrinkles or dimples in quarter panels from the strain of lifting the car by that rear most front point. Also some talk of how those pinch welds are for lifting straight up not putting side angle on. Seems a lot of guys have trouble with the zl1addons pads sliding off stuff and causing rocker damage from the jack or stand too?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I have installed my ZL1 addons rock guards w/o removing my wheels. Done it actually twice, as I have had two of the GEN6 cars. I have had camaros lifted via the pinch welds only when taking it to the dealer. No issues so far.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I think using the 2 HF jacks at the same time, one on each side, lifting the car in tandem with each floor jack, is a great way to keep the weight evenly distributed, rather than only lifting one side at a time. I have the ZL1addons lift pads attached to the pinch welds and it does make it easier to sit the car on jack stands once the car is lifted. I still leave the floor jacks in place the entire time.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:00 AM   #6
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
I have the ZL1 lift pads and a Quick Jack.

No issues after putting it up in the air a dozen times, half at home and the other at the dealer.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
The zl1 add on pads or any ones brand need to be about 1/2 longer.. I can see problems on a lift with the rocker panel and the quarter panel if the lift pads aren't extended high enough and the rockers rest on the lift's arms.. pretty much have to lower the lift pads to miss the rocker panels slide lift arms in then extend the lift pads on arms as high and as tight as you can while shooting for a cutout that's smaller than the Pads on the lifts.

with out the zl1 add on lift pads or other brands the lift arm pads even extended would definitely cause the damage to quarter panel or rockers its pretty hard to get the pads in the cutout where the zl1 add ons go with out mashing the rockers some what!

i have a lift and zl1 add ons and i'm still really careful doing it correctly especially running carbon fiber side skirts

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
I have a 4 post lift with scissor jacks, that is the only thing I will use to lift the car off the wheels.

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
I have a 4 post lift with scissor jacks, that is the only thing I will use to lift the car off the wheels.
^This.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by neb View Post
Hey i was all set to go buy a good floor jack and some jack stands. Having owned a GTO, G8 etc ive used them before without issue. Im seeing guys talking about having wrinkles showing up in quarter panels from lifting the gen 6 from the rearmost front jacking point? im wanting to put some rock guards on the car, and have the ability to do my own brakes etc. I have debated on going the quickjack route, but then see people bitching they are junk that leaks, lifts unevenly and damn near drops cars too. Race ramps would be fine for oil changes and diff oil im sure, but again rock guards etc i need to take wheels and tires off the car. at least i assume i do to get them installed.
I have the zl1 Addon lift point pads and I agree that they should extend lower to prevent the lift arms on a two post lift from touching the rockers. I have them on my car, I also have QuickJacks. The QuickJacks barely touch the rockers when used with the zl1 lift points, although they touch it doesn’t cause any damage or leave any marks.

I have had the QuickJacks for over a year and zero issues, if used properly I don’t see how a car can fall off. People who are complaining of the QuickJacks lifting unevenly probably didn’t assemble them correctly and didn’t do the needing process properly which could also account for their complaints of leaks. Bendpak’s customer service is second to none, I had an issue with one of the fittings and they sent a replacement immediately.

I suggest you consider the QuickJacks if you can afford them. Getting all 4 corners of the car up in the air is going to be a pain in the ass otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techdude99 View Post
I have the ZL1 lift pads and a Quick Jack.

No issues after putting it up in the air a dozen times, half at home and the other at the dealer.
That picture looks like it’s take at a service department. Did they support the car using the aluminum front suspension parts?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I use the ZL1 addons lift pads for my jack stands, located as far forward and rearward as possible on the pinch welds. I agree they would be much more useful if they were a bit longer.

For jacking, I have several of the magnetic pinch weld pucks, similar to this:

I use a hockey puck under that as a spacer for my jacks. When I'm putting the car on stands, I lift the front first, with a jack on each side lifting together, and then lift the rear with a jack under the diff crossmember.

I've used the 'pucks' on each side for swapping tires at the track one side at a time. No issues with rocker panel or pinch weld damage.

I did forget to pull one of the pucks off once... three days later it was still hanging there.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
neb

i guess im trying to justify the cost of the quickjacks(and be sure they arent junk a lot of people seem to imply they are) for doing my own maintenance i really dont want anyone else touching the thing. even for stuff like replacing rubber would be nice to take the wheels off take them to be mounted and balanced and put them back on myself. im going to need to do an oil change soon so i have to get something. i have always used a floor jack and stands but like i said ive seen people mention dimples and wrinkles in quarter panels from it and damanged pinch welds etc.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Costco has the quickjacks for $999 right now. I purchased mine today after struggling with the same issues. All of my other cars, no issues using jacks and jack stands. I really don’t like not having a center jackpoint on the front of these cars.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
DFW_Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
The zl1 add on pads or any ones brand need to be about 1/2 longer.

I agree 100%. Like every other ZL1addons product I've purchased to date, these seem to miss the mark slightly. These need to be a good .5 - .75" taller to facilitate proper use.
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote