Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
If you get it all ironed out I would love to do a pray heads/cam package! Seriously man, you are amazing to this community
Thank you Sir.

After the Fest I will have a cam going into my car. If I can stomach doing labor twice I will dyno just the cam first and then add the blower. This cam will be a blower grind but I would like to see how it does on it's own. No promises though. I am not big on labor these days and this forum has been extremely kind to me and has been keeping me busy with porting.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Alright well the car is back together. No left over nuts or bolts

Im going to be putting some coolant in the car tonight and firing it up. Once im sure the coolant is properly bled Im going to get tuning. Then dyno time will be scheduled when I feel the car is where it should be. I would post some pictures but everything looks stock as can be.

Good for me, bad for the competition.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
slick3

Just finished the tune this evening(its never really finished is it?), WOW.... the car absolutely rips. I was always disappointed with the way this car pulled past peak torque and felt like it just rolled over.. The car pulls even harder through the mid range and just eats up the top end now. My butt dyno says PRAYS dyno findings would be spot on although I need to schedule some dyno time to confirm what I am feeling. The car was a few points lean everywhere from the additional air flow but outside of correcting the AF mixture it was pretty straight forward.

Disregarding the fact that its pulling like an animal through the top end, the drivability is where for me, it gets even better. Its hard to explain but the car feels freed up throughout the low end and in between shifts it just light on its feet. It feels like everything else I have done so far just got tied together. I am really really impressed so far with the power and the tangibile street driving benefits.

This is my favorite mod to date, for spending the same amount of coin as I did on my ARH system, the money was well spent. For the drag racing guys, I am going to guess these will be really popular, in my case on the road course, I am excited to be carrying power long past where I was before. MSD may be in my future to compliment this setup depending on what PRAY finds.

I will update the thread with some numbers when I get to the dyno.

Last edited by slick3; 07-13-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #18
PRAY

Glad it is all working out for you. I agree with all that you are saying. The stock heads are the real limiting factor once you are full bolt on's. There is a ton of "head" room now. Having the top end is extremely nice, it corrects the curve and makes it look like what we are all used to. Drivability does increase as well as there is more air available at all rpm's. Getting the cam timing dialed in will yield the last bit of power.

For the pump gas crowd the heads basically make up for E85. The gains are about the same or a little better on the HP side. E85 does take the tq cake but there isn't anything to be done about that. I tried to price them as any other bolt on. I think bang for the buck they rival any bolt on mod out there. And it is all under cover. No one can tell the difference.

Some people are going to argue that it is not a bolt on (and I agree) but if you know what you are doing it take about the same time as headers or less in some cases and way less time then doing a converter. And we technically didn't change any of the parts that came from the factory.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #19
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Some people are going to argue that it is not a bolt on (and I agree) but if you know what you are doing it take about the same time as headers or less in some cases and way less time then doing a converter. And we technically didn't change any of the parts that came from the factory.
Huh--I would have thought that swapping heads out would be a lot more time consuming than that. I guess if you were in the process of swapping out heads, you may as well throw on your ported intake and throttle body, too. Do you happen to know if EFI is able to dial in a tune for A8 cars using your whole top end setup (minus cam, of course)?
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #20
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Huh--I would have thought that swapping heads out would be a lot more time consuming than that. I guess if you were in the process of swapping out heads, you may as well throw on your ported intake and throttle body, too. Do you happen to know if EFI is able to dial in a tune for A8 cars using your whole top end setup (minus cam, of course)?
6 hrs for the swap if you know what you are doing at most.

I will send EFI the necessary tuning for guys that buy heads that have Tim's tunes already.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #21
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Would tuning be different on M6 cars?

Will the M6 cars pull harder on top than an A8 car? Over 5,750 RPM?

All the gains are right where our cars run on a road course!

Last edited by Tomiboy; 07-13-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #22
Jamesg89

Drives: 2019 2SS & 1998 SS
Any idea on flow numbers? Whats the porting run?
Jamesg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post

Will the M6 cars pull harder on top? Over 5,750 RPM?
My car is an m6 and hell yes it pulls harder all the way to the top now. Second and 3rd gear are nose up just freaking moving. Sorry I wanna go drive it right now just talking about it lol
Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Pray is killing me! I planned on not doing anything until my warranty runs out, but I would love all this extra power on track! These cars are fast but 3rd gear, on track, could really use more umph!
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #25
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Definitely on my list! Thanks for the info and updates slick3
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #26
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post

Will the M6 cars pull harder on top than an A8 car? Over 5,750 RPM?

All the gains are right where our cars run on a road course!
Your last sentence shares my thought process behind why I did this.

As far as it pulling harder than an A8, I do not think it should pull any more or less hard. The motors the same, gearing will come into play when you are talking drag racing. But as far as feeling, it should be the same if anything maybe make a little more power because the drivetrain loss is not as high (The new autos do not lose nearly as much as the old stuff).

Tuning is no different than a A8 car. At the end of the day your motor is just a big air pump, you pump more air you need more fuel. The heads have greater flow across the board from what I can tell (MAF is higher at idle even) so I pretty much adjusted my curve to match the additional air flow (about 5%) and then Brett helped me with the cam timing that he found works best.

He is a wealth of knowledge on all these things. PM him if you have questions he is a helpful dude and was more than willing to help me on some install pointers and making the needed tuning adjustments he felt were necessary to get the most out of it.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #27
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Just finished the tune this evening(its never really finished is it?), WOW.... the car absolutely rips.....

Disregarding the fact that its pulling like an animal through the top end, the drivability is were for me, it gets even better. Its hard to explain but the car feels freed up throughout the low end and in between shifts it just light on its feet. It feels like everything else I have done so far just got tied together. I am really really impressed so far with the power and the tangabile street driving benefits.

This is my favorite mod to date...
Wow that's really exciting to read! Not just the top end power but also the better drivability.

This is undoubtedly going to shrink my "I care about the warranty" phase.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #28
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I too would say something good about Pray. But then I'd just be piling on.

I have my eye on these heads. Aren't they by themselves, just a bolt-on?