Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
BlacknRed1990

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0t A8
BNR Tune

I ordered BNR's tune on Wednesday so I should be getting it next week some time. My concern was with the hp and tq gains they advertise. +60 hp and +93 lb-ft tq ON A BONE STOCK 2.0t. That seems very/dangerously aggressive at least compared to ZZP and Trifecta (~40 hp) and especially Vermont Tuning (~20 hp). I am considering asking them to send a less aggressive tune. What do you guys think?
Current mods: GM performance catback exhaust - JMS PEDALMAX throttle controller - K&N Drop In Air Filter - ZZP Intake Tube - ZZP catted downpipe - ZZP Larger (67mm) throttle body - BNR recirculator valve - Mishimoto intercooler pipes - Mishimoto intercooler - PTP turbo blanket - ZZP flex fuel kit - ZZP big wheel turbo - RX billet stall converter

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Tires: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40/20
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II RunonFlat 245/50/18
BlacknRed1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
rear wheel horse power. do you have A8? the AT is a torque multiplier. Its all apples and oranges compared 3 ways with A8, M6 and crank. You would have to get hp tuners and log your crank twist and grunt. That number seems in line with others FBO charts for A8. My guess is they are talking uncorrected HP for DA. Which is fine in that moment and great if your tracking at minus 500 ft below sea level. So they want to get the 'best' number out there and that's all good. If you do a SAE corrected dyno, then those numbers compare on paper, apples to apples.

The thing is it is easy to bump the torque tables they will simply ask the torque tables to deliver all the Tq the engine can deliver, and set a few other protective and masking parameters. and make sure you get your MAF logged and fed back to them for fine tuning.

Once you get in with a shop, your kind of set with them. Not really, its $200 for others to talk to your car, ( if they have HP tuners) plus shop time.... licensing stuff. But if they are great with followup use it and get the MAF fine tuned. It will be impossible to fine tune it the first go around. I can assure you this is the case.

Make sure you get your tune in hand to keep. You might know in the real world, that your entitled to escrow your product. and you paid for it so its yours.

that's a starter tutorial. keep us posted.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRed1990 View Post
I ordered BNR's tune on Wednesday so I should be getting it next week some time. My concern was with the hp and tq gains they advertise. +60 hp and +93 lb-ft tq ON A BONE STOCK 2.0t. That seems very/dangerously aggressive at least compared to ZZP and Trifecta (~40 hp) and especially Vermont Tuning (~20 hp). I am considering asking them to send a less aggressive tune. What do you guys think?
+60 +93 at the crank maybe. Not at the wheel on a stock setup simply can't move the air and gases fast enough to maintain that kind of power at the wheel stock. BNR likes to inflate numbers and has blown up a few engines already not to mention their shady practices bringing this autocal tune to market with E85 enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
protective and masking parameters. and make sure you get your MAF logged and fed back to them for fine tuning.
Haha this was the one thing that stood out to me you gave great info btw. but protective measures unlikely masking measures most definitely.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
wookwook

out of curiosity i looked at the site they show "up to" 60 hp and 60 tq range, so one way or the other they cover either or any way you look at it. Its all based on the ECU and those are the same either way. And you can log with efi live so it would be good to look at the crank numbers once you get it squared away. you wont get "concerning" numbers until you add a turbo or E or WM. The piping doesn't add much more peak, but adds more"under the curve" power band. i.e. earlier and longer power band which is very good with a decent tune.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
wookwook

yeah - ok. you are right EB. You are right. I cant really say the motive for some things, but... I think I could read his thinking. Nothing wild but clearly there was some in-depth thought on my shop tune. I combed it through with the GenV book and I think I have a happy medium. What ever is more unbridled, is my own doing. Like brake torque. I should look at brake ( as in brake peddle resistence ) torque limit and get that going for a poor mans launch control.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
BlacknRed1990

Yes mine's an A8 wook (Updated my profile). Suppose I'll use the canned tune they send me then go from there, thanks for the advice bee and wook.
Current mods: GM performance catback exhaust - JMS PEDALMAX throttle controller - K&N Drop In Air Filter - ZZP Intake Tube - ZZP catted downpipe - ZZP Larger (67mm) throttle body - BNR recirculator valve - Mishimoto intercooler pipes - Mishimoto intercooler - PTP turbo blanket - ZZP flex fuel kit - ZZP big wheel turbo - RX billet stall converter

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Old 04-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
BlacknRed1990

Received the autocal today and read the ecm and tcm files and sent them to BNR. After this I had 2 DTC's 1 was something with transmission/tcm (Don't remember exact code) and the other was U0100 which I looked up and seemed pretty serious (Car won't start, shuts off randomly, etc.) however I drove to work (~20 min drive) with no issues. Is this normal when reading tunes for the first time/are these DTC's false positives?

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Old 04-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
What a nightmare remote tuning is.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRed1990 View Post
Received the autocal today and read the ecm and tcm files and sent them to BNR. After this I had 2 DTC's 1 was something with transmission/tcm (Don't remember exact code) and the other was U0100 which I looked up and seemed pretty serious (Car won't start, shuts off randomly, etc.) however I drove to work (~20 min drive) with no issues. Is this normal when reading tunes for the first time/are these DTC's false positives?
Not normal at all. The TCM likely is having communication issues which can be common if things aren't done correctly this is why I dislike autocals by companies that blow engines up.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 04-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
wookwook

k. lets not over react......this never goes smoothly the first time.

did you make sure the ignition was "on". I am aware of, or have triggered myself is the ecu does disconnect from the tcm during write. sometimes there is a lingering pending code but it goes away. I cant speak to this on m8 tcm cal though cause I don't do the tcm for M6. It sounds like something in there.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
BlacknRed1990

Quote:
k. lets not over react......this never goes smoothly the first time.

did you make sure the ignition was "on". I am aware of, or have triggered myself is the ecu does disconnect from the tcm during write. sometimes there is a lingering pending code but it goes away. I cant speak to this on m8 tcm cal though cause I don't do the tcm for M6. It sounds like something in there.
I'm 99% sure this is what happened, I was playing around in torquelite to see what was going on and the codes were not "active" so I cleared them. Have driven for a few hours and no issues. In my case it must have been during the TCM read where there was a disruption in communication with the ECM.

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Old 04-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
wookwook

do with the doors closed too. don't know why it matters but it does. radio on is ok.
light the dash up with engine off. yeah if you sent it over already they should notice any issues. just make sure to do this way or it wont load the tune. you might see some misfires and awkward contortions on the next cold start after loading it but it will sort it self out. If you have access to resetting the Long term Fuel Trim LTFT - do that about a few times over the course of a day. get ur maf re-read with a long pull and have them look at STFT tables and send you back a fine tune adjustment for the MAF.

didn't they even give you a guide ?

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
do with the doors closed too. don't know why it matters but it does. radio on is ok.
light the dash up with engine off. yeah if you sent it over already they should notice any issues. just make sure to do this way or it wont load the tune. you might see some misfires and awkward contortions on the next cold start after loading it but it will sort it self out. If you have access to resetting the Long term Fuel Trim LTFT - do that about a few times over the course of a day. get ur maf re-read with a long pull and have them look at STFT tables and send you back a fine tune adjustment for the MAF.

didn't they even give you a guide ?
You keep citing the Book which is admirable but you must know by now that traditional methods will not work with this ECM.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:10 AM   #14
wookwook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
You keep citing the Book which is admirable but you must know by now that traditional methods will not work with this ECM.
nope. all by trial and error with the camaro. the lay of the land is trust but verify.

when I did my sct tuner on my truck at least there was a video how-to. I would have expected at least a written guide with a pay-for tune. even if scribbled on a napkin.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106