Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
The correct spark plugs need to be used.

1 heat range colder (highly and strongly recommended)
Gapped down at .028-.032 to keep from blowing out the spark.
I respect both you and Ted's knowledge so I'm trying to figure out why you guys are far off on suggested spark plug gaps.

Picture from
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495345
Attached Images

2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
I respect both you and Ted's knowledge so I'm trying to figure out why you guys are far off on suggested spark plug gaps.

Picture from
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495345
The 6509 are direct replacement 1 heat range colder, so we are on the same page here.

We typically don't close the gap unless we need to.

Of coarse closing the gap recommendation is a safe one, you really can't go wrong here as some cars ignition systems are weaker than others or wires might not be up to task for full throttle boosted applications.

Closing the gap can reduce throttle response, fuel economy, induce trailer hitching.

A larger gap will give better burn, allow us to burn more fuel, complete combustion, when the ignition system is up to par.

If we have to close the gap we start looking at the ignition system for weaknesses.

We will go after boosting the ignition system voltage, and better wires, and keep the gap at 0.042.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #17
Joe's_cool_1le

Thanks Ted. I've since replaced my plugs with the 6509's and gapped them for .040 and car is absolutely amazing now. I also found one wire connection with a bunch of white powder like oxidation that I cleaned up too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The 6509 are direct replacement 1 heat range colder, so we are on the same page here.

We typically don't close the gap unless we need to.

Of coarse closing the gap recommendation is a safe one, you really can't go wrong here as some cars ignition systems are weaker than others or wires might not be up to task for full throttle boosted applications.

Closing the gap can reduce throttle response, fuel economy, induce trailer hitching.

A larger gap will give better burn, allow us to burn more fuel, complete combustion, when the ignition system is up to par.

If we have to close the gap we start looking at the ignition system for weaknesses.

We will go after boosting the ignition system voltage, and better wires, and keep the gap at 0.042.

Ted.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 10-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Thanks Ted. I've since replaced my plugs with the 6509's and gapped them for .040 and car is absolutely amazing now. I also found one wire connection with a bunch of white powder like oxidation that I cleaned up too.
I would suggest you replace your wires, and make sure you use dielectric grease on both ends.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #19
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
I also found one wire connection with a bunch of white powder like oxidation that I cleaned up too.
Yikes, thats a major issue.

Gotta replace the wire after that... there is no recovery from that damage.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #20
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I would suggest you replace your wires, and make sure you use dielectric grease on both ends.

Ted.
Will do. Thanks again.