Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #57
MBSS1LE

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Still a deal-breaker with the ridiculous Civic-sized fuel tank. No thanks...
I don't get this reasoning. So the fuel tank is a little smaller, which means you will have to fill it up more often, but both the Mach 1 and the SS get almost the exact same MPG city/highway, so you are still going to use the same amount of fuel to drive the same distance. And the Civic has a 12.4 gallon tank versus a 16 gallon tank for the Mustang.
MBSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #58
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSS1LE View Post
Bingo. The Mustang and Camaro are both priced beyond what a financially responsible middle-class person can afford. You know when 72 and 84 month financing options are available, the buyer is purchasing a product with an inflated price.

Yes, the performance and comfort of the Mustang/Camaro is better than at any time in its history, but it's not worth it (at least to me) to go out and buy a new model of either car in any trim. I bought my SS used with 36 month financing and I still have remorse that I didn't put off gratification long enough to pay cash. I can't imagine making payments on any vehicle for 6 or 7 years.
Yup....paid $33K for my 1SS new. To me that's a lot for car......and when people say..."It's not a lot; it's less than avg price paid in the US", that doesn't mean the average person can afford it or is making a smart decision. Most are financing for 60mos or more, so who cares. But $33K for a car like the SS that I could afford to pay cash for to me was worth it. I don't get how people finance $40-60K Camaros and float all this debt when all that $ could go to work for you instead.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #59
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Yup....paid $33K for my 1SS new. To me that's a lot for car......and when people say..."It's not a lot; it's less than avg price paid in the US", that doesn't mean the average person can afford it or is making a smart decision. Most are financing for 60mos or more, so who cares. But $33K for a car like the SS that I could afford to pay cash for to me was worth it. I don't get how people finance $40-60K Camaros and float all this debt when all that $ could go to work for you instead.
Depends on your POV.

As long as you have enough for retirement, there is nothing wrong with wasting a little bit of money on things that you are passionate about. You can't take it with you and we are only here for so long.

You have to balance out saving/investing with spending on things that move your soul. What is the point of saving if you don't enjoy some of it on the fruits of your labors.

I will gladly pay a bank some interest for something I can have today , instead of having to wait until I can pay cash. Tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

As long as you borrow responsibility, and have your future covered, why wait.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #60
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Depends on your POV.

As long as you have enough for retirement, there is nothing wrong with wasting a little bit of money on things that you are passionate about.
Agree but I'd be willing to bet a ton of people floating $500/mo + car notes with almost nothing down don't even have 6 mos worth of savings to live off.

My brother is a bankruptcy attorney. He said one thing almost all his clients had in common; nice cars, huge payments, no savings.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #61
m6z

Drives: Currently looking
That gray color looks great.

Just built a Mach 1 with the $3,500 handing package and I'm at $57,910 vs $45,695 for a 1SS 1LE.
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #62
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
the s550 chassis is a piece of crap.
wouldn't have another one as a gift.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #63
MBSS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
the s550 chassis is a piece of crap.
wouldn't have another one as a gift.
You've made that abundantly clear. However, what is the actual data that you are basing your conclusion on?

While I agree that the Alpha chassis that underpins the Camaro is better what underpins the current Mustang, everything I have read and heard from those with engineering backgrounds and/or actual racing experience indicates the differences are marginal. I had the chance to drive a 2021 Mach 1 with the handling package recently and, in my opinion as a current SS1LE owner, that car is every bit the equal to my car from a performance/handling perspective. Now that's only using my seat-o-the-pantsmeter, so take the opinion as such.

It's one thing to say you prefer the Camaro to the Mustang, but you really don't lend yourself much credibility when you can't or won't explain the reason for your opinion.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #64
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
unstable stability over 90mph
tramlining from new
pulling on road cambers
hood flutter
driveline vibration and clunk.
steering wheel wobble at 60mph.
floaty feel at speed.
unable to keep a straight line at motorway speed. having to forever correct the steering wheel.
car was nigh on brand new.
happy day when i sold it.
the car was a piece of junk. same as every other ford i've owned in 3 million miles of driving
Old 05-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #65
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Not that I am bashing the S550 - it's OK.
Here is what I can say that platform has actual issues:
>The chassis and suspension uses a lot of steel to save costs: sprung and unsprung weight - the suspension has to work more.
>Rear suspension geometry causes rear driveline angle issues as you lower it.
>There is a lot of bind in the rear suspension design in general.
>Something about the geometries of the suspension and wheelbase doesn't allow the car to have as controlled of a slide (i.e. the car spins easy).

The Mustang is very capable, especially the GT350/R, GT500 and Mach 1.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #66
MBSS1LE

Quote:
tramlining from new
pulling on road cambers
hood flutter
floaty feel at speed.
unable to keep a straight line at motorway speed. having to forever correct the steering wheel.
the car was a piece of junk. same as every other ford i've owned in 3 million miles of driving
Oh, I was confused. I thought we were discussing the differences in the chassis/underpinnings, not things you disliked about the last Mustang you owned. I'm not sure that any of the issues you listed have anything to do with the chassis. But it's clear this conversation is going nowhere, so I'll move on from an exchange with you on this subject.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:09 PM   #67
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
tramlining from new
pulling on road cambers
hood flutter
floaty feel at speed.
A lot of that is less on the S550 chassis/suspension, but is aero. The balance between street car/everyday car and track and Ford design language. Some is Ford kwality.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #68
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
I don't get this reasoning. So the fuel tank is a little smaller, which means you will have to fill it up more often, but both the Mach 1 and the SS get almost the exact same MPG city/highway, so you are still going to use the same amount of fuel to drive the same distance. And the Civic has a 12.4 gallon tank versus a 16 gallon tank for the Mustang.
It's not how much you buy, it's how often.

I suppose if your time isn't worth much, it doesn't matter. 50 extra miles per tank? for me that's significant, and that's w/o tracking the car. Works out to a lot fewer trips to the station, for sure. I like my time. It's the same reason I look for motorcycles that can go more than 200 miles per tank. Getting gas gets old. My old bike could only manage about half that.

On a track-day, how many more time$ are you $ubject to buying ga$ at the track? So far, I've never had to do that.

These are track-cars with thirsty V8 engines. Silly 16 gallon tank is a deal breaker, for sure.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:02 AM   #69
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Yeah, thats a pretty big difference in capacity. Cars like the gt350, gt500 and even the N/A models suck gad and that is just ridiculously small for that kind of hp/mileage.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #70
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Oh, I was confused. I thought we were discussing the differences in the chassis/underpinnings, not things you disliked about the last Mustang you owned. I'm not sure that any of the issues you listed have anything to do with the chassis. But it's clear this conversation is going nowhere, so I'll move on from an exchange with you on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
A lot of that is less on the S550 chassis/suspension, but is aero. The balance between street car/everyday car and track and Ford design language. Some is Ford kwality.
The problem is that a lot of these issues were present on the previous chassis (S197) and should not have carried over to the S550 chassis. But they persisted. Ford never took time out to correct these or to make vast improvements when they went to the S550 platform. However GM made a LOT of improvements when they stepped into the 6th Gen platform to such a degree that it is kinda indistinguishable in performance, handling, quality, etc...and that says a lot because the 5th Gen was amazing on it's own merit.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, comparison, mach 1, performance, price