Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
sworn

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
What do you guy's like for aftermarket sway bars?

Want to tighten up the car a bit. Not looking to track it or anything. With that in mind, what do you guy's like or recommend for aftermarket sway bars? Thanks!
2019 Camaro 1SS. Crush. Mishimoto Catch Can, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Oracle Side Markers, ZL1 Side Skirts, Blade Spoiler W/ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill, Exhaust Cut Outs, BMR Front and Rear Cradle Braces, Cold Air Inductions CAI. ZL1 Rims 285 Fronts and 305's Rear. Speed Inc Tune PCM & TCM.
sworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Had the BMR on my 2LT, way too stiff coupled with the Chevy Performance suspension, I've read the best combo is BRM front/rear with another manufacturer sway bar, I think the thread is in the 1LE subforum

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
sworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Had the BMR on my 2LT, way too stiff coupled with the Chevy Performance suspension, I've read the best combo is BRM front/rear with another manufacturer sway bar, I think the thread is in the 1LE subforum
Too stiff? How so?

I'll check out the 1LE Subforum. Thanks
2019 Camaro 1SS. Crush. Mishimoto Catch Can, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Oracle Side Markers, ZL1 Side Skirts, Blade Spoiler W/ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill, Exhaust Cut Outs, BMR Front and Rear Cradle Braces, Cold Air Inductions CAI. ZL1 Rims 285 Fronts and 305's Rear. Speed Inc Tune PCM & TCM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworn View Post
Too stiff? How so?

I'll check out the 1LE Subforum. Thanks
Here's the link to the thread
www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559810

As for the stiffness, it's sway stiffness (I know, duh), I got the Chevy performance suspension in before the BMR sway bars, and the car handled like a charm and cornered like a roller coaster while still being compliant on regular roads, with the BMR bars however, the car would skip and hop during hard cornering because of how little it swayed, hell, I couldn't even do a burnout on the middle setting, sure the car launched great but that's about it.

This is one of those things you only do if you're a serious person and know what you're doing as there are a lot of variables related to it and it will very easily screw up your car, not saying the BMR bars are a bad product, just that, for my application, mods and knowledge, they just didn't work, one of the cases where stiffer is not better.

These were the adjustable bar btw, now sure how they would fare in a regular SS, but I won't be touching the 1LE ones.

Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
sworn

Quote:
Here's the link to the thread
www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559810

As for the stiffness, it's sway stiffness (I know, duh), I got the Chevy performance suspension in before the BMR sway bars, and the car handled like a charm and cornered like a roller coaster while still being compliant on regular roads, with the BMR bars however, the car would skip and hop during hard cornering because of how little it swayed, hell, I couldn't even do a burnout on the middle setting, sure the car launched great but that's about it.

This is one of those things you only do if you're a serious person and know what you're doing as there are a lot of variables related to it and it will very easily screw up your car, not saying the BMR bars are a bad product, just that, for my application, mods and knowledge, they just didn't work, one of the cases where stiffer is not better.

These were the adjustable bar btw, now sure how they would fare in a regular SS, but I won't be touching the 1LE ones.
Thanks for the informative reply!

So is it fair to say the performance suspension in conjunction with the BMR Adjustable Sway Bars was too much?

I was thinking about the non adjustable version. I think it would be a nice compliment to my current minor suspension mods.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Xaxas

Quote:
Thanks for the informative reply!

So is it fair to say the performance suspension in conjunction with the BMR Adjustable Sway Bars was too much?

I was thinking about the non adjustable version. I think it would be a nice compliment to my current minor suspension mods.
Yes remember the struts, shocks and coils work in tandem with the sway bars, the OEM performance suspension was engineered to work with the stock FE2 suspension which is the softest suspension in the Camaro, BMR engineered theirs using the FE3 as benchmark which is stiffer and balanced differently, so the numbers compared to the FE2 are even higher than what the list on their site and I had a vehicle that drove worse no matter how I loaded the bars.

I would suggest you get the adjustable versions and match the sway bars posted in the thread as they give a consistent increase and you can tune it to your liking, and what will the car be used for? Unless you really plan to hardcore track or do motorsports with your car, the sway bar upgrade is really unnecessary and again, unless you know what you're doing it will more than likely make your car worse.

HOWEVER, if you REALLY want sway bars, I would suggest the 1LE OEM Chevy kit, tuned and calibrated from factory to go perfect with the car, you can find them here

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...aro/suspension

Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
sworn

Quote:
Yes remember the struts, shocks and coils work in tandem with the sway bars, the OEM performance suspension was engineered to work with the stock FE2 suspension which is the softest suspension in the Camaro, BMR engineered theirs using the FE3 as benchmark which is stiffer and balanced differently, so the numbers compared to the FE2 are even higher than what the list on their site and I had a vehicle that drove worse no matter how I loaded the bars.

I would suggest you get the adjustable versions and match the sway bars posted in the thread as they give a consistent increase and you can tune it to your liking, and what will the car be used for? Unless you really plan to hardcore track or do motorsports with your car, the sway bar upgrade is really unnecessary and again, unless you know what you're doing it will more than likely make your car worse.

HOWEVER, if you REALLY want sway bars, I would suggest the 1LE OEM Chevy kit, tuned and calibrated from factory to go perfect with the car, you can find them here

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...aro/suspension
Not really planning on tracking the car. Admittedly I like to hit the entrance and exit ramps at a good clip! LOL! Really enjoy the feeling of the car being on rails....

It sucks that you invested the time and money in the sway bars to have the end result be less than satisfactory. We've all done it too! That's the unfortunate part of hot rodding. It's Also why I like to discuss and research future mods with folks that have had experience.

After our conversation, I think the 1LE pieces might be a better fit! Appreciate the counsel!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Xaxas

Quote:
Not really planning on tracking the car. Admittedly I like to hit the entrance and exit ramps at a good clip! LOL! Really enjoy the feeling of the car being on rails....

It sucks that you invested the time and money in the sway bars to have the end result be less than satisfactory. We've all done it too! That's the unfortunate part of hot rodding. It's Also why I like to discuss and research future mods with folks that have had experience.

After our conversation, I think the 1LE pieces might be a better fit! Appreciate the counsel!
I wouldn't call it a shame, I invested $14k modding a lowly V6 Auto and had one hell of a time learning the car, platform, and generally about how cars work, I LOVED getting my hands and arms dirty black and this knowledge and experience allowed me to finally feel comfortable with an SS 1LE that barely requires anything, I had gotten an exact same white 2SS 1LE before but I traded it in next day for the V6 Auto because I:
* Spent 6 years without driving manual
* Never drove a RWD car before
* Never drove a high torque V8 before
* Never drove a cramped car before

If there is a cheap suspension mod with a big increase in driveability, I cannot recommend enough Solid Cradle Bushings/Lockouts and Diff Bushing Lockout, really takes the Camaro to the next level as it removes squatting under hard acceleration and makes the rear end stable during cornering, have yet to do it in my 1LE and I can def feel the rear end jelly a little during cornering and it's driving me insane.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
afe power ones here on my car adjustable
Old 05-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
sworn

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a shame, I invested $14k modding a lowly V6 Auto and had one hell of a time learning the car, platform, and generally about how cars work, I LOVED getting my hands and arms dirty black and this knowledge and experience allowed me to finally feel comfortable with an SS 1LE that barely requires anything, I had gotten an exact same white 2SS 1LE before but I traded it in next day for the V6 Auto because I:
* Spent 6 years without driving manual
* Never drove a RWD car before
* Never drove a high torque V8 before
* Never drove a cramped car before

If there is a cheap suspension mod with a big increase in driveability, I cannot recommend enough Solid Cradle Bushings/Lockouts and Diff Bushing Lockout, really takes the Camaro to the next level as it removes squatting under hard acceleration and makes the rear end stable during cornering, have yet to do it in my 1LE and I can def feel the rear end jelly a little during cornering and it's driving me insane.
My last car was a 2018 Mustang GT base with an auto trans. I traded it in for the Camaro. I had BMR diff bushings and cradle lockout bushings installed. Also had RTR (Ready To Rock) lowering springs. Maybe it was the combination but I could feel every shift of the trans and generally HATED the way the car felt. I dunno maybe something wasn't installed correctly but don't feel like I've had a positive experience with poly style bushings. Everything was so tight and felt there was no play in the driveshaft. Guess I could have gone with a one piece driveshaft.

At this point, I'm absolutely skeptical when a company says there's no increase in NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness.) I've also seen "an acceptable rate of NVH."

As previously mentioned, have the BMR front and rear cradle supports. That's why I was thinking a nice set of sway bars might really compliment my current setup.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #11
sworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
afe power ones here on my car adjustable
Like 'em?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Xaxas

Quote:
My last car was a 2018 Mustang GT base with an auto trans. I traded it in for the Camaro. I had BMR diff bushings and cradle lockout bushings installed. Also had RTR (Ready To Rock) lowering springs. Maybe it was the combination but I could feel every shift of the trans and generally HATED the way the car felt. I dunno maybe something wasn't installed correctly but don't feel like I've had a positive experience with poly style bushings. Everything was so tight and felt there was no play in the driveshaft. Guess I could have gone with a one piece driveshaft.

At this point, I'm absolutely skeptical when a company says there's no increase in NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness.) I've also seen "an acceptable rate of NVH."

As previously mentioned, have the BMR front and rear cradle supports. That's why I was thinking a nice set of sway bars might really compliment my current setup.
Well, you gotta remember the Camaro has a much better chassis than the Mustang, way more stiff so those bushings made it stiffer than you were used to, since Alpha chassis is already GOOD stiff, the solid bushings/lockout will be an improvement as those bushings move too much, specially laterally, but a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is just a thousand pictures is sequence

Notice how much the bushing flexes, that's lost power and traction, the BMR lockout has a little bit of give to still retain comfort while removed the excessive give, this is what I had and I'm still undecided between the BMR lockout or the Chevy ZL1 1LE kit, and no, BMR is not paying me for any of this, it's just that this is such a good improvement for Camaros that everyone should have it, you will never look back.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
sworn

Quote:
Well, you gotta remember the Camaro has a much better chassis than the Mustang, way more stiff so those bushings made it stiffer than you were used to, since Alpha chassis is already GOOD stiff, the solid bushings/lockout will be an improvement as those bushings move too much, specially laterally, but a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is just a thousand pictures is sequence

Notice how much the bushing flexes, that's lost power and traction, the BMR lockout has a little bit of give to still retain comfort while removed the excessive give, this is what I had and I'm still undecided between the BMR lockout or the Chevy ZL1 1LE kit, and no, BMR is not paying me for any of this, it's just that this is such a good improvement for Camaros that everyone should have it, you will never look back.
Totally agree, the S550 and Alpha are two very different platforms. The video completely illustrates the difference in cradle movement. I also had Steeda subframe IRS bushings. Not sure how much that contributed to the rigidity too.

I'm still a bit apprehensive though. The Mustang experience was not good. As you mentioned in your previous build, I too had quite a bit invested in the car. I'm just really afraid to do anything that will yield negative results.

From a logical standpoint I can see that you're right. Still afraid though! LOL!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #14
Xaxas

Quote:
Totally agree, the S550 and Alpha are two very different platforms. The video completely illustrates the difference in cradle movement. I also had Steeda subframe IRS bushings. Not sure how much that contributed to the rigidity too.

I'm still a bit apprehensive though. The Mustang experience was not good. As you mentioned in your previous build, I too had quite a bit invested in the car. I'm just really afraid to do anything that will yield negative results.

From a logical standpoint I can see that you're right. Still afraid though! LOL!
Ha, don't be afraid of buying a part, be afraid when you're installing said part solo and you're not sure you might be able to put things back together like I was with the control arms, thankfully, the lockout takes 1 hour to install with a slow pace and you might be charged 2-3 hours for a shop if you get the solid ones.

And again, only really one I advice against is sway bars as it's something not a regular driver could get use of, pretty much all other PROVEN mods like this one is a yes.