Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #155
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If money is zero factor...(as in, buying a Camaro is like a drop in a bucket) then sure. Why not just get the best there is?

But then there are folks that CAN afford the SS without having to change their lifestyle to do so...but maybe they are more practical. Maybe they enjoy seeing their savings go up and are retirement-minded (even if they are not yet close to retirement) Maybe they don't like seeing the large hit to their account, or maybe they have other hobbies, or maybe they have home upgrades planned, or this or that. Maybe they also realize that they will never come close to using the potential of the SS on the street, so why not just save money and get the V6 which will still be pretty damn fun to drive.

You could say I kind of fall into the above categories in some part or another. Now, I did end up going with the SS this time around (a 1SS....mostly b/c I didn't want to exceed a certain $ figure and I was able to work a 1SS very close to that figure so I went with it lol) Is it totally awesome and does it sound amazing? You bet it does. Do I even come close to using the power on the street? Not really. Unless you count the short bursts of WOT when merging onto an empty lane or something like that...It almost feel like its a waste of power, and frankly...money. That said....it is pretty much my dream car so I am happy about that, and I definitely did not settle.

I don't track my car, but if I did (strip or track) then I'd say hell yes get the V8 and never look back. If you are just street driving, or worse yet...daily driving the V6 is a fantastic choice.

If I had gone with another V6 I'd do exactly what I did to my 5th gen V6 that made it so fun. Make the exhaust the best it can be (for a V6...no that's not a dig at the V6) and do a few mods that wake up the throttle response. My 2010 model had better throttle response than my stock SS does, and I kind of miss that I have to say, although I could easily fix that! Then just make the car look your own and you'll get more attention than all the stock guys out there. Last but not least...enjoy what you have!
Hit it right on the head. I have had high-reving inline-4's, multiple V6's, high revving V8's and I more than happy with my purchase with the V6; especially after adding a custom exhaust and other mods.

Money is obviously a factor for the heavy majority of buyers. I could have easily "afforded" the SS, but I thought as a daily driver and saving close to a couple hundred dollars a month; the V6 was more beneficial for my current and future financial situation. I have a had the huge car payments, but I decided to go a different route this time.

My dad always taught me "there will always be something bigger and badder on the road than you" so like you said "enjoy what you have", especially when you're driving past those minivans and prius' hahahah
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #156
Candie
The Go Fahst Girl

Drives: 17 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Candie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
You tell me....
Mine at the track.

TWS! I know that track well. I have done lots of track days and races on my bike but have only done a few laps in the Camaro.

You live in the same small town as I do!
CMRA Novice #904
Team Chasing Danger #91

"Go FAHST or go Home"
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #157
A7X

Drives: Subaru Tribeca
Test drove the T4 over a month ago - loved it. Tested the 6 and the 8 yesterday.

I wanted to like the 6 - 335 HP, almost 300 ft-lbs torque. Amazing numbers.

The 6 was really nice - lots of power in city driving. Good on the highway but didn't have that "punch" I was looking for - but a fast car!

Decided to try the 8 - because although the 6 was 95% there that highway thing was missing.

Took the 8 for a spin - within a minute I was smitten. The feel, the handling, the power was intoxicating and I didn't even begin to approach WOT.

It's was a weird feeling because I didn't want to like the 8 - thirsty, insurance, heaviest of the Camaros. However when I do get it and realistically will get a used one - it will be the 2SS. Black.

I think they are all exceptional 4, 6 or 8.
A7X is offline   Reply With Quote