Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Look up how to put the car in transport mode and ask your neighbor to do it for you. It will last a while before the battery dies when it’s in transport mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Good idea. Thanks. Should I put it in that mode now or wait a few weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
You can wait a couple weeks and have your neighbor start and run the car for 20-30 minutes. When they do that, they can put it into TM on the startup.

It's simple. Turn the hazard flashers on; foot on brake; press and hold start button, even after engine starts. Takes about 10-15 seconds and it'll display on DIC "TRANSPORT MODE"; let off start button and it's done. Turn of hazards. Do the same thing to exit TM.

While in TM, you WILL see the battery caution light flashing on the DIC when the car is running, but it's fine, the battery is still charging. I winter store my SS in TM in an unheated storage unit, and run it for 30 min every 4 weeks or so. Never had a problem and it's still the original battery in a 2016.
Unless you can drive the car and get it up to temp, you shouldn't periodically start it and just let it idle. The ideal would be to go put it into transport mode as soon as feasible and forget it until you get back.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
In your situation storage is the best option.

In general though, cars are not meant to be stored for weeks on end...they are meant to be driven and enjoyed, especially a performance car. Why spend all that money and not use the car for 4-6 months?

Even in winter climate zones, it's easy to drive your Camaro at least every couple of weeks with a bit of planning. In winter I only drive mine on clear dry roads. The rest of the time, not on wet roads unless I'm caught in the rain...my daily driver '16 Malibu does all that dirty work. I hand wash my Camaro so I try to avoid situations where I'm making more work for me!
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
In your situation storage is the best option.

In general though, cars are not meant to be stored for weeks on end...they are meant to be driven and enjoyed, especially a performance car. Why spend all that money and not use the car for 4-6 months?

Even in winter climate zones, it's easy to drive your Camaro at least every couple of weeks with a bit of planning. In winter I only drive mine on clear dry roads. The rest of the time, not on wet roads unless I'm caught in the rain...my daily driver '16 Malibu does all that dirty work. I hand wash my Camaro so I try to avoid situations where I'm making more work for me!
There are plenty of people like myself that want this car in the stable to enjoy for many years - summers, actually, since mine is a convertible. And while it is possible to figure out how to drive it periodically in the winter months, that still subjects the car to road salt, harsh chemicals, and ZERO ability to get them off of the paint (or worse, unpainted surfaces). Add to that the fact that the car rides and handles like garbage with the stock summer only tires on cold roads, and there isn't a chance I would do anything BUT park it for the winter.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #18
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Starting you car and idling for 20-30 minutes is a terrible idea. You won't ge much of a charge but you will get moisture buildup the crankcase and exhaust.

I wouldn't sweat it. At above freezing temps, your battery may discharge but not suffer much degradation. For peace of mind, you could just get a new battery when you get back. Not a big ticket item.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Starting you car and idling for 20-30 minutes is a terrible idea. You won't ge much of a charge but you will get moisture buildup the crankcase and exhaust.

I wouldn't sweat it. At above freezing temps, your battery may discharge but not suffer much degradation. For peace of mind, you could just get a new battery when you get back. Not a big ticket item.
Actually, I would consider the battery in these cars to be a big ticket item. Well north of $200 for most of the ones on the market with many closing in on $300.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #20
Staves

Drives: women crazy
My friend put it in transport mode today. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:22 AM   #21
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Depending on how busy life is mine has sat for 6 weeks with no issues.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #22
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Mine has sat for 4 months without any starting issues on the factory battery
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Actually, I would consider the battery in these cars to be a big ticket item. Well north of $200 for most of the ones on the market with many closing in on $300.
Seriously, $300 is a big ticket item on a muscle car? Wait 'til you have to replace four tires.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #24
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
What’s the max time to let my car sit w/o tender?
If the battery is healthy & fully charged: 6 weeks.

If you put the car into transport mode: 4+ months.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Seriously, $300 is a big ticket item on a muscle car? Wait 'til you have to replace four tires.
I don't disagree that new sneakers are much more total cost. My point is that it's a battery. Nothing but a -battery-. And it's over $300. I was appalled at having to drop $160 on the one I put in my truck.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #26
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H6, 760 CCA $219 Advance Auto Parts.

If you're paying $300, you're paying too much.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote