Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
NM-ZR1

I05 to IO6 (Navigation upgrade)

My 17 ZL1 has IO5 Non Nav that I would like to upgrade to IO6 and have stand alone navigation. There is many vendors selling the HMI boxes but I thought I would ask if anyone here has done the upgrade. Would this be plug and play? Does the HMI module need to be programmed with the vin?
Another want would be the front camera (heads up with parking) (don't care about the PDR) would be great to. Any suggestions? (and don't say use your iphone for nav) lol
Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I believe it needs an GPS-antenna too. Honestly, best to use your phone Apple/Android auto. If you are an iPhone user. I have an iPhone 6S+, I use the Apple CarPlay for navigation. IOS12 just released along with Google Maps update to use in car play. Waze should be updating soon to use with CarPlay also.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:56 AM   #3
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I made the upgrade about a year ago. I purchased from Gen5DIY. To get the full use of the I06 module, you will need to have your instrument cluster re-programmed to accept the speed limit info supplied by the I06 module. Currently there are only 2 places that do this programming, one of which is Gen5DIY. If you don't care about displaying the speed limit, the I06 module is plug and play. The antenna is located just under the dash on the passenger side. I realize there are better GPS devices out there but none that interact with your DIC and HUD. I am completely satisfied with the results.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
Nitro66215

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
I did this on my 1LT that already had the large display. It does require programming in order to work. Instead of replacing the whole GPS harness to use the built in GPS antenna, I did add an inexpensive GPS antenna and put it under the dash. That does require taking the top part of the dash apart. Not that difficult actually. Gen5Diy has the ability to get the module programmed as needed. Just keep in mind, if you ever have service work done at the dealer, make sure they know to NOT touch the programming of the HMI module. They will inadvertently make your new I06 and I05 module. Then you'd have to send it back to Gen5Diy to be re-programmed.
2018 2SS Vert - Hot Wheels - Indy 500 #30

2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2017 RS 1LT 2.0T Vert - A8, Garnet Red - SOLD :-(
Added - IO6 - NAV, UHS - Enhanced Display, K4C - Wireless Charger, UV6 -
Heads-Up Display - DIY

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(
2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
To get the full use of the I06 module, you will need to have your instrument cluster re-programmed to accept the speed limit info supplied by the I06 module.
So the instrument cluster can display map data and speed limits from the I06 HMI/Nav unit. Did you have to remove the actual cluster and send it to them for reprogramming or did GM do it?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
benji276289

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
So the instrument cluster can display map data and speed limits from the I06 HMI/Nav unit. Did you have to remove the actual cluster and send it to them for reprogramming or did GM do it?
GM will not do this for you because it alters the original new car sticker and your VIN. I had a private garage remove the cluster and I sent it off by UPS. I got it back in less than 10 days programmed for my VIN. Works perfectly now. The same garage re-installed it. I would never attempt to do this myself. It's above my ability level.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
NM-ZR1

Quote:
GM will not do this for you because it alters the original new car sticker and your VIN. I had a private garage remove the cluster and I sent it off by UPS. I got it back in less than 10 days programmed for my VIN. Works perfectly now. The same garage re-installed it. I would never attempt to do this myself. It's above my ability level.
Good info Benji, So you sent your cluster to Gen5DIY as well? One other question, does the App Download work on your 8" display?
Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
benji276289

Quote:
Good info Benji, So you sent your cluster to Gen5DIY as well? One other question, does the App Download work on your 8" display?
Thanks
Not sure. I haven't tried it. I don't use the OnStar wifi. I sent my gauge cluster to White Automotive and Media Services in Michigan. They were considerably cheaper than Gen5DIY.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Not sure. I haven't tried it. I don't use the OnStar wifi. I sent my gauge cluster to White Automotive and Media Services in Michigan. They were considerably cheaper than Gen5DIY.
Exactly what would I ask for them to do if I used them in this process? Thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #10
benji276289

Quote:
Exactly what would I ask for them to do if I used them in this process? Thanks
Just google White Automotive Media Services and they will walk you through your request. You are asking them to program your gauge cluster to accept "speed limit" information sent from the I06 module. Unfortunately, the entire process is not cheap. Just purchasing the I06 module is at or near $1000. Programming your cluster is around $150. Then add in the cost of installation of module, removal and re-insertion of the cluster, unless you are able to perform this work yourself is probably approaching another $500. It's too bad that GM makes us run thru these hurdles just because the car we purchased did not have the $495 option to begin with. But it's still cheaper than trading in your car for one that has these options. I bought my car off the lot so I did not have the option to choose navigation. If you are mechanically inclined (I am not) you can save yourself a little cash by doing the work yourself. Incidentally, you can still drive your car without the gauge cluster. I used a portable Garmin GPS for speed limit information. Just don't get pulled over by the law.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Just google White Automotive Media Services and they will walk you through your request. You are asking them to program your gauge cluster to accept "speed limit" information sent from the I06 module. Unfortunately, the entire process is not cheap. Just purchasing the I06 module is at or near $1000. Programming your cluster is around $150. Then add in the cost of installation of module, removal and re-insertion of the cluster, unless you are able to perform this work yourself is probably approaching another $500. It's too bad that GM makes us run thru these hurdles just because the car we purchased did not have the $495 option to begin with. But it's still cheaper than trading in your car for one that has these options. I bought my car off the lot so I did not have the option to choose navigation. If you are mechanically inclined (I am not) you can save yourself a little cash by doing the work yourself. Incidentally, you can still drive your car without the gauge cluster. I used a portable Garmin GPS for speed limit information. Just don't get pulled over by the law.
As long as I can find some instructions on how the dash comes apart it should not be a real problem. The Z is not my daily driver so if it has to sit for a few weeks that's fine.

I would rather do the work myself because no one you pay will take better care and time to do a great job then you.

I can remember my 97 2 door Tahoe that has a bad evaporator and needed the dash board pulled to replace it. A chevy dealer did the work and after I got it back I had nothing but creaks and rattles out of my dash. Mostly because they broke or stripped out most of the plastic parts holding the dash in. I ended up going to a salvage yard and pulling a complete dash and transplanted it into my Tahoe because I could not stand the noise and rattles anymore.

Great info, and thanks for all the leads,
Old 09-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #12
Nitro66215

Quote:
As long as I can find some instructions on how the dash comes apart it should not be a real problem. The Z is not my daily driver so if it has to sit for a few weeks that's fine.
This isn't the best DIY... but I did take the dash apart to install the HUD and new cluster. There is no difference that I'm aware of between the LT / ZL1 when it comes to the dash components. The HMI module was an easy swap since it's only in the kick panel on the passenger side. I have the complete service manual that has a lot of good info in it.

HUD - DIY

Heads-Up Display - DIY

Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
benji276289

No need to take the dash apart. There are two screws under the glove box that allows the compartment holding the module to drop down. Then you just slide out the module and disconnect one connection. You will need to remove some panels on the door and dash top to position the antenna, then drop the cable down to where the module is so you can then reconnect the new module and antenna cable before sliding the module back in place. If you are mechanically inclined, should be easy. I am not and would never attempt it.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Nitro66215

Quote:
No need to take the dash apart. .
For the HMI only.... he is correct. I placed the antenna under the top dash part near the window. That did require me to pull the dash apart a bit. But it wasn't that bad. There are many ways to get around that.

Heads-Up Display - DIY