Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
prime510

Drives: 2018 ZL1
fuel pump upgrade??

anyone know at what power levels i should switch my stock pump and injectors at?

planning on the flex fuel kit w/ meth injection, 2" kook headers with full exhaust, K&N CAI, and possibly upgrade the pulleys....not sure where id be exactly but thats the plan for now!
prime510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
you'd be fine with stock fuel system with those mods nearly. Meth would benefit for extra hp due to cooling and some extra fuel too.

Injectors are $3500-5000 right for the direct injection options out there right now. If you don't go with a adding port injection setup (starting at ~$5000) for some reason you'd replace injectors at the point of:

1) You have upgraded low side with a multi-pump in-tank solution or external single/multi-pump solution
2) You have a cam with 32-38% cam lobe
3) Somehow your injector duty cycle is being reached prior to high side pump reaching its limit and low side pump keeping up with high side

I'm sure the wiring/tuning part of adding port injection is a pain but the cost is less in the long run from what I have seen vs doing low/high/cam to get extra fuel if you have big big power goals 900+ whp.

Personally I'm going cam only at first, then low side will run out next with my upcoming setup to get more fuel. Next year I will likely get around to the low side of the fuel system. I am not going to wind up with a 900-1200 whp goal and more in the 700-800 whp range and can get there with this plan.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
fuel pump upgrade??

I’ve got kooks 2inch , upper pulley , flex fuel , weapon x intake , ported throttle body . I can barely run e40 if I push to hard car goes into reduced power mode. So I know I need to upgrade or add aux pump. I just bought vengeance racing stage 3 cam kit so that should help but I’m not sure if I still need the aux pump with the cam added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #4
prime510

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
you'd be fine with stock fuel system with those mods nearly. Meth would benefit for extra hp due to cooling and some extra fuel too.

Injectors are $3500-5000 right for the direct injection options out there right now. If you don't go with a adding port injection setup (starting at ~$5000) for some reason you'd replace injectors at the point of:

1) You have upgraded low side with a multi-pump in-tank solution or external single/multi-pump solution
2) You have a cam with 32-38% cam lobe
3) Somehow your injector duty cycle is being reached prior to high side pump reaching its limit and low side pump keeping up with high side

I'm sure the wiring/tuning part of adding port injection is a pain but the cost is less in the long run from what I have seen vs doing low/high/cam to get extra fuel if you have big big power goals 900+ whp.

Personally I'm going cam only at first, then low side will run out next with my upcoming setup to get more fuel. Next year I will likely get around to the low side of the fuel system. I am not going to wind up with a 900-1200 whp goal and more in the 700-800 whp range and can get there with this plan.
Im hoping to get to the 700s, will probably be shy of that figure though. My biggest concern came from hearing that i should be upgrading the fuel system if I ran the e85 along with mods other than stock but i figured i should be fine....i plan on doing the cam along with a whipple blower but maybe not tile next year, getting married so budget is getting tight hehe.

Thanks for the info, very informative! its my first build so learning a lot on the go!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
prime510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmau5 View Post
I’ve got kooks 2inch , upper pulley , flex fuel , weapon x intake , ported throttle body . I can barely run e40 if I push to hard car goes into reduced power mode. So I know I need to upgrade or add aux pump. I just bought vengeance racing stage 3 cam kit so that should help but I’m not sure if I still need the aux pump with the cam added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
what are you pushing to the wheels with your set up?? Curious to know if you're having the steering problem when turning right (I believe it's on the right turns?) that I've read about on kooks 2" headers?

Knew I forgot to mention something, throttle body is another piece to add to my first set of mods!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
I'm pushing 630/665 on my current set with pump gas and no steering issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by prime510 View Post
what are you pushing to the wheels with your set up?? Curious to know if you're having the steering problem when turning right (I believe it's on the right turns?) that I've read about on kooks 2" headers?

Knew I forgot to mention something, throttle body is another piece to add to my first set of mods!
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
ZL1_IslandBreeze

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 NightFall Grey A10
I did a major fuel system upgrade via CMS with my Whipple build. Did not want to run meth. Very satisfied. Have posted pics and build info on this forum. all good.
ZL1_IslandBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I just got my car back from Vengeance Racing. I went with their CAI, 2" Kooks with cats and a lower pulley and flex fuel. The car made 550/560 stock. Made 650/680 on 93 and 690/720 with 45% ethanol. They told me that's just about maxing out the pump. I didn't want the hassle of Meth so that should give you an idea of what's possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by RDBill; 08-24-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Add photos
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
prime510

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_IslandBreeze View Post
I did a major fuel system upgrade via CMS with my Whipple build. Did not want to run meth. Very satisfied. Have posted pics and build info on this forum. all good.
Im having ryne remote tune mine as well when complete, sucks that he moved out of state while i was getting ready for it.....those are awesome numbers gonna have to wait till phase two to reach those numbers! planning on a cam and the whipple blower late next year if all goes well
Old 08-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
800 wheel is going to be a lot of work...

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #11
13screw

Drives: 17 ZL1
Yep redhead ^, kinda disappointing how expensive it is to make 7-800whp on these cars.. I just bought a zl1 so not trying to troll, but my boss 302 made over 800whp with a 2.9 whipple,budget return fuel system and e85.. This is my first gm product so it's been a learning experience. Still the zl1 is a beast and alot of fun, just wish gm did DI and port injection like ford did on the new gt mustangs...
13screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13screw View Post
kinda disappointing how expensive it is to make 7-800whp on these cars..
Kinda like back in the day when carbureted cars went to TBI and then port injection... the new stuff was pricy back then... and the new stuff is pricy now.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
prime510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
I just got my car back from Vengeance Racing. I went with their CAI, 2" Kooks with cats and a lower pulley and flex fuel. The car made 550/560 stock. Made 650/680 on 93 and 690/720 with 45% ethanol. They told me that's just about maxing out the pump. I didn't want the hassle of Meth so that should give you an idea of what's possible.
she's a beauty, definitely impressive numbers!!

good to know it can handle it with the current plan, gonna throw it into the next phase.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
prime510

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13screw View Post
Yep redhead ^, kinda disappointing how expensive it is to make 7-800whp on these cars.. I just bought a zl1 so not trying to troll, but my boss 302 made over 800whp with a 2.9 whipple,budget return fuel system and e85.. This is my first gm product so it's been a learning experience. Still the zl1 is a beast and alot of fun, just wish gm did DI and port injection like ford did on the new gt mustangs...
I know right, surprised they haven't done so myself.... its a good milestone to reach those numbers with the kind if money and work, like redhead mentioned, needed to hit those numbers.

gonna be a great on the go learning experience.