Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
vwite

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Coupe
Considering Used 2016 SS. Is this normal?

Hi Guys!

Newbie here, I've been a reader of the forum for a few months but I just I joined recently as a member because I am considering buying a 2016 Camaro SS with 40,000 miles if they get me the right price but I was wondering a couple of things.

I test drove it for a while and all the drivetrain suspension and steering seems fine. Took it to the mechanic and he said he couldn't find anything wrong, the underneath looks good as well, only couple things I noticed:

At the beginning of the ride, the rev needle was jumping a lot and really fast, after a while the problem was gone, could it be because the car was cold, is this normal on yours?

Other thing is after using it for a while opened the hood and there was a whistling/high pitch noise coming from the engine, dealer said it was the band but that it was normal but I haven't heard any other car making a similar noise, does your car makes this noise? I uploaded a video to youtube to show it:

https://youtu.be/nnNCaCjkYCA

Do you think it is actually the band or another serious problem?

Also, there is no crushed metal from a bad lift or scraped rockers but both doors are misaligned with the fender at the bottom (pictures attached) could I be that the hinges need adjustments or would it be something else?

Thank you!!
Attached Images

vwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Crazy you posted this,i just took my car in to have a hinge replaced yesterday and had the same issue after they did the job,i came to the conclusion that it just needs to be adjusted,i made an appointment to have it looked at again
Attached Images

warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
fenders can be realigned, the noise is not normal. Hydraulic tensioner is leaking. wipe it with a rag to confirm the presence of hydraulic fluid. then have it replaced under warranty.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
It is great that you found out the normal dealer response to all issues of "It's normal". Nice to get that out of the way.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I say walk away from that car. If I saw and heard what you did, my gut wouldn’t let it go. There are other cars out there, don’t step into something that needs to be fixed right out of the gate.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
sgo1960

Drives: Soon to be Camaro
Walk away.. Motor does not sound right.
sgo1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Don't walk away, run! Don't buy a car that already has a bunch of issues you can see.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
vwite

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I guess you guys are right, it was an automatic anyway hopefully I find a manual later this year lol.Another thing is that dealer hired someone to fix the wheels but they were ALL 4 curbed a lot of times each so car was probably poorly driven. I have attached another picture in this post, I know is a sport car but compared to yours, does it look normal for 40k miles or abused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
fenders can be realigned, the noise is not normal. Hydraulic tensioner is leaking. wipe it with a rag to confirm the presence of hydraulic fluid. then have it replaced under warranty.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, I'm not saying you're wrong and really appreciate your response but may I ask how you came to that conclusion? Did it happen to you? Is it a common issue that is often fixed by warranty or is not common and probably caused by abused engine?
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #9
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Run away from this one. Was likely a rental that got auctioned off and it has been hammered on. That engine sounds like a tractor, not a smooth powerhouse!
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I agree with what others have said, walk away. You don't want to do business with any dealer that says that noise is normal. Also agree that this sounds like a rental. 1SS in red with auto sounds like a fleet vehicle. I would suggest you keep looking.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Gotta watch out for them donkey stomped rentals...they are everywhere!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwite View Post
I have attached another picture in this post, I know is a sport car but compared to yours, does it look normal for 40k miles or abused?
This, unlike the other issues, is normal on our cars. The black stains are caused by condensate dripping from the weep holes at the front of the suitcase muffler.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #13
4door65guy

Drives: 2016 2SS MAG/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwite View Post
Hi Guys!

Newbie here, I've been a reader of the forum for a few months but I just I joined recently as a member because I am considering buying a 2016 Camaro SS with 40,000 miles if they get me the right price but I was wondering a couple of things.

I test drove it for a while and all the drivetrain suspension and steering seems fine. Took it to the mechanic and he said he couldn't find anything wrong, the underneath looks good as well, only couple things I noticed:

At the beginning of the ride, the rev needle was jumping a lot and really fast, after a while the problem was gone, could it be because the car was cold, is this normal on yours?

Other thing is after using it for a while opened the hood and there was a whistling/high pitch noise coming from the engine, dealer said it was the band but that it was normal but I haven't heard any other car making a similar noise, does your car makes this noise? I uploaded a video to youtube to show it:

https://youtu.be/nnNCaCjkYCA

Do you think it is actually the band or another serious problem?

Also, there is no crushed metal from a bad lift or scraped rockers but both doors are misaligned with the fender at the bottom (pictures attached) could I be that the hinges need adjustments or would it be something else?

Thank you!!
out of curiosity how much are they selling this car for? Only reason I ask is 40k is allot of miles when you don't know how the car was treated on a day to day basis. The noise and tach issue is def not normal in my experience my ss makes no unusual sounds nor does the tac bounce erratically.
4door65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
vwite

You guys are absolutely right, it was indeed a rental. I didn't mention it on the first post hoping people would not tell me immediately to run away without even looking at video/pictures but that was the main reason why I was on 90% that is a NO go and 10% "considering".I still took the time to take it to the mechanic for a free inspection because I also wanted to make a loong drive test to really see if I would like the camaro coming from a little fwd mazdaspeed with really big windows but I guess the mechanic free inspection was a "free" useless inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door65guy View Post
out of curiosity how much are they selling this car for? Only reason I ask is 40k is allot of miles when you don't know how the car was treated on a day to day basis. The noise and tach issue is def not normal in my experience my ss makes no unusual sounds nor does the tac bounce erratically.
They have it for $27.5k, lowest they would go is 24k,not worth it considering the amount of issues that could come up and I don't know how serious they can be plus resale value will take a big hit because of the rental title.

Last edited by vwite; 05-04-2018 at 07:35 PM.