Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #127
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Would pull the fuse and start up in track mode every time! LOL
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #128
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy85 View Post
Mustang6 certainly had contentious threads once in a blue moon, but it's mostly a huge help for S550 owners: active vendors, pictures of basically any mod/part available from someone's install, news/rumors and tons of awesome builds. This forum is a toxic dumpster fire and makes me wonder if all Camaro owners are like this, or if this is just a self-selecting bunch.

At this point just here with my to laugh, I feel sorry for anyone who clicked this thread looking for solutions and found 7 pages of this crap instead.
Yep. It’s embarrassing to see how people treat each other on the forum and in their communities. Name calling and the complete lack of tolerance to people who have a different opinion. It’s no wonder society is the way it is.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #129
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Yes, but common sense isn’t so common. I can already see someone rushing and starting it, forgetting they left something in the house, run back in, spend 5 mins looking for something and the whole time carbon monoxide fills the garage and starts seeping into the house. Granted 5 mins probably isn’t enough time for carbon monoxide poisoning to be lethal but it is enough time to give a pretty serious headache and induce nausea.

Best just to assume common sense doesn’t exist.
Understood. For safety’s sakes, the garage door option is not for easily distracted morons.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #130
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
Stupidity

Stupidity

https://www.lifewire.com/avoid-carbo...in-car-4134877

Why Enclosed Spaces and Carbon Monoxide Can Be So Deadly

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 50 ppm is the highest concentration of carbon monoxide that a healthy adult can tolerate in any given eight-hour period. Concentrations beyond 50 ppm can cause serious harm and even death if the exposure lasts long enough.

At 200 PPM, a healthy adult can expect to experience symptoms such as dizziness and nausea after about two hours. At concentrations of 400 ppm, a healthy adult will be in mortal danger after about three hours of exposure, and concentrations of 1,600 ppm will induce symptoms within minutes and can kill within one hour.

Depending on the condition of the engine, and how well it is tuned, the concentration of carbon monoxide present in combustion gas will typically be between 30,000 and 100,000 ppm. In the absence of a functioning catalytic converter, that massive concentration of carbon monoxide can accumulate very fast.

Although a functioning catalytic converter will cut down on the amount of carbon monoxide drastically, that just means it will take longer to build up to poisonous levels. This is why using your car as a generator during a power outage can be dangerous, but even warming your car up in the garage can cause problems.

According to a study from Iowa State University, running a car inside a garage with the door wide open caused the carbon monoxide levels in the garage to hit 500 ppm in just two minutes. Furthermore, the concentration was still high enough to do harm a full 10 hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I didn’t even respond directly to this suggestion because my response would get me banned from all Internet forums for life.

The Stupidity of people goes beyond words.
Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 PM   #131
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodogs View Post
Stupidity

https://www.lifewire.com/avoid-carbo...in-car-4134877

Why Enclosed Spaces and Carbon Monoxide Can Be So Deadly

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 50 ppm is the highest concentration of carbon monoxide that a healthy adult can tolerate in any given eight-hour period. Concentrations beyond 50 ppm can cause serious harm and even death if the exposure lasts long enough.

At 200 PPM, a healthy adult can expect to experience symptoms such as dizziness and nausea after about two hours. At concentrations of 400 ppm, a healthy adult will be in mortal danger after about three hours of exposure, and concentrations of 1,600 ppm will induce symptoms within minutes and can kill within one hour.

Depending on the condition of the engine, and how well it is tuned, the concentration of carbon monoxide present in combustion gas will typically be between 30,000 and 100,000 ppm. In the absence of a functioning catalytic converter, that massive concentration of carbon monoxide can accumulate very fast.

Although a functioning catalytic converter will cut down on the amount of carbon monoxide drastically, that just means it will take longer to build up to poisonous levels. This is why using your car as a generator during a power outage can be dangerous, but even warming your car up in the garage can cause problems.

According to a study from Iowa State University, running a car inside a garage with the door wide open caused the carbon monoxide levels in the garage to hit 500 ppm in just two minutes. Furthermore, the concentration was still high enough to do harm a full 10 hours later.
Gunna call BS on that. First, you'd notice yourself getting drowsy and the effects. You might not recognize it at the time, but you'd notice over time for sure. Yes, it's a heavy gas that can accumulate, but if you are just starting your car in stealth mode or EVEN starting it and then going and selecting stealth mode to pull out of the neighborhood, you aren't going to get carbon monoxide poisoning coming in the car for the few seconds that takes. This is just scaremongering to further being an asshole to people.

I mean, maybe if you were running a pipe from your exhaust right in through your window...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #132
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Gunna call BS on that. First, you'd notice yourself getting drowsy and the effects. You might not recognize it at the time, but you'd notice over time for sure. Yes, it's a heavy gas that can accumulate, but if you are just starting your car in stealth mode or EVEN starting it and then going and selecting stealth mode to pull out of the neighborhood, you aren't going to get carbon monoxide poisoning coming in the car for the few seconds that takes. This is just scaremongering to further being an asshole to people.

I mean, maybe if you were running a pipe from your exhaust right in through your window...

So it's a conspiracy with the Iowa University to scare scaremonger random people on the internet?

Or maybe it's a bad idea to pump poisonous gas into a closed off area?
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #133
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
OH shhhhhhhoot, we go from loud start up and cranky neighbors to the sky is falling safety nannies. Cars run so clean now, if you want to gas yourself in the garage, one needs to borrow my 90 sub or 83 GP...... Start it up, drive off normal.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #134
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Camaro SS too loud??

It’s a fact that it doesn’t take long, a few minutes, for carbon monoxide to fill a space. It takes a little while longer to reach a dangerous and lethal level. Keep in mind that you don’t smell carbon monoxide and often times the effects are not instantaneous.

What you do smell is the fuel and exhaust burn off, but that’s not the same as the levels of carbon monoxide which are significantly higher.

Folks are talking about two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #135
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Nothing wrong with hopping in the car, starting it in tour mode, initial start up is loud for about 2 seconds, then open garage door, back out. That is not going to kill anyone.

But yeah...don't remote start your car in the garage with the door down for a long period for Christ's sake.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #136
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy85 View Post
... This forum is a toxic dumpster fire and makes me wonder if all Camaro owners are like this, or if this is just a self-selecting bunch...
I have to say...I felt this way about the Mustang forum about *certain* threads there too. I guess we are all filled with winners.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #137
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I think half the nice considerate neighbors on here should be dead by now according to that "study". lol.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #138
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I am a considerate person and if I lived where neighbors were close by, I would certainly start the car up in stealth mode and maybe have the car backed in if I was leaving early in the morning. But I would not start it up with the garage door closed. That's putting my health and safety at risk. With the car in stealth and the car backed in, that is all one can do without compromising safety to help reduce the noise these cars make upon start up.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #139
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Awesome story about your grandfather!
No, it's not awesome, it was embarrassing to our whole family and he made my Mom drive him to Cleveland city court downtown, to his lawyer's, and refused to settle or let it go. He was a stubborn old man and it was a real headache for all of us.

That's why I shared the story. After two years of it my Mom finally told him we're not taking you to court or to your lawyer's anymore. My Grandmother never drove and he was about done driving at that point in his life. It got to the point my Mom and I didn't even want to go to his house to take him to his doctor appointments.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #140
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Yeah, I have to admit I couldnt ever recommend anyone starting their car inside a closed garage without the intent of immediately pulling out... thats just asking for trouble.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote