Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #43
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
No there not. Stock manual SS's are in the 12.3-12.4 range. Stock auto 5.0's are in the high 12, to low 13 range, average to average. I previously came from one, and I am a seasoned drag racer, in decent DA best mine did stock was 12.9. Tune got me 12.5. The stock fast list is big for these cars on S197 and the best stock auto is a 12.5, in mineshaft air. The majority on there are in my range. I've never seen a stock auto 5.0 run better then 12.7 with my own eyes, and I've been to Ford events with 50 of them running.

I find that tuff to swallow stock, that would put him first on the stock list by over a tenth...

Reaction time has nothing to do with elapsed time.

You seem to be thinking a few beyond "hero" times for a 5.0 equals their average, it's not even close to that as an average. Then you compare magazine times for the Camaro (very few manual times have been posted yet) as their best. Remember the magazine times for auto Mustangs are 13.0 and 13.1 if you want to compare them that way. Once more good manual drivers get to the track we will see more low 12's. My buddy isn't even the best driver and he pulled of low 12.30's first time out.

On AVERAGE, a manual 6th gen is a almost a half second quicker than an automatic 5.0...
That depends what average is. Most of the 5.0 Autos I see are people coming back to the T&T week after week and while newbies have some trouble most of the regulars have no problem getting into the 12s.

I really don't care if you believe me. These are all timeslips I have seen what is the point of me making this up? The track is Atco and the air is sometimes mineshaft. With the RT I was just making the point about my friend who really takes 1/4 driving seriously and that is why his times are above average. Most of us here know what RT is. And my friend doesn't care about the Internet and fast lists. He is 80 years old. He is still trying to figure out his phone.

What he does is come back to Atco week after week and experiments until he figures out what the car can do. He has run about the same times with the '13 and the '15 5.0s. So maybe we can agree that not every one can do what he does. But he has proven the 5.0 auto can do it.

Here is the thread I created while trying to beat him I only beat his new '15 GT once with my ZL1 and the jerk was purposely sleeping at the light. He thought he could run down a ZL1 with his auto GT.

If it interests you here is my old Camaro5 thread on this topic:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358442
Old 02-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #44
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
After reading what fanbois say the 5.0
Runs bone stock and then seeing what they actually run at the track is was very disappointed
Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #45
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I find that tuff to swallow stock, that would put him first on the stock list by over a tenth...
Hmm, you did make me think about this. My friend did run a few 12.4s stock with his '13 Mustang 5.0 auto. I think they were mostly mid 12.4s so that would have put him third on the fast list below with the fastest stock 5.0 GT auto being 12.2. Sill the new SS autos are faster, but as you can see by the list it does not take much to get auto 5.0s into the 11s. There will be lots of close racing at Cecil and Atco. Looking forward to racing now that my SS will be competitive with the faster mild or stock 5.0s and stock tired Dodge 392s.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...GT-track-times

One thing to remember, when Internet racing people tend to look at pure ETs to decide which car is faster. But really the race is decided by drivers too and not just the car. Beating a faster car with a .0 .00 light is where the fun is. I remember racing an '11 GT500 with my bolton 1LE one T&T night. We raced 5 times and the 1LE and I were 5-0. I never saw that car again.

So if you have any Camaro come on out and try racing at a local T&T. It is a boatload of fun and you see some really cool cars and meet some really cool people. Just don't be too surprised when a Honda Civic blows off your auto SS with boltons and DRs. And those Mustang Fox bodies are murder.