Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 11-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #141
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcirts View Post
2017 SS1 - First shudder ~15k. First single flusher ~20k. Waited about a month too long to go back to dealer for the temporary-permanent TC replacement, so I ended up with another single flusher at ~50k and a verbal "permanent fix in early 2019".

Both flushes had no impact on the issue. I believe my transmission might have gotten used to the extra metal chunks floating around, as the recent ~50k flush seemed to make the problem significantly worse. The periodic vibration has reached a point where the HUD has a motion blur effect while it's happening. Disabling AFM helps with the shudder; I just get the 5-7 second interval 'clunk' + RPM increase.

In general and as expected, the overall transmission performance/feel has gradually declined over the last year or so.

I would trade my 0-60 timer and my paddle shifters for an in-dash seismometer. It would be more entertaining to visualize the frequency and amplitude of the vibration.

My workaround will be a car cover it seems.
Disheartening as it is to read this as your very first post, I applaud the sense of humor and the calm you're looking at the issue with

Hopefully the 2019 fix will be a true solution (say, free A10 upgrade and a $1000 accessory coupon to all impacted A8 owners with service history backing up the claim )

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #142
Paul_S

Drives: 2016 2SS
Well I think I am going to take mine in this weekend. I am fortunate because this is my fun car. I can’t imagine what owners are going through as their primary rides.

This really sucks I hope Chevy gets this fix out and it works.

Oh also I bought Range Technology in the hope if will lower the rumble strip effect, going to try it but only after I get it in for the initial flush.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #143
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErbyT View Post
2016 with 37K miles and had the shudder. Took it in, they flushed the transmission 3x per the bulletin. I got it back and it still seems like when it changes gears seems like it loses power between gears and now it seems to get stuck in gears and doesnt want to shift into higher gears after 5th.
any time they do any transmission work, they have to (or atleast are supposed to) put the tcm into learn mode.

this will cause it to be, at the very least, not really act the way you're used to.

our transmission control units are pretty smart, and can not only reprogram themselves on the fly, but can reprogram themselves to compensate for something wearing out, to an extent.

when they are in learn mode, that's what the 200 miles they tell you is for. The car is learning how *you* drive it.

if certain shifts aren't acting as you think they should, give it some time, or you can specifically teach those shift points by following whatever set of rules goes with those clutch packs. you can either search this info yourself, or I'll send you the ways to teach them, just pm me.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #144
ErbyT

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LTRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
any time they do any transmission work, they have to (or atleast are supposed to) put the tcm into learn mode.

this will cause it to be, at the very least, not really act the way you're used to.

our transmission control units are pretty smart, and can not only reprogram themselves on the fly, but can reprogram themselves to compensate for something wearing out, to an extent.

when they are in learn mode, that's what the 200 miles they tell you is for. The car is learning how *you* drive it.

if certain shifts aren't acting as you think they should, give it some time, or you can specifically teach those shift points by following whatever set of rules goes with those clutch packs. you can either search this info yourself, or I'll send you the ways to teach them, just pm me.

This is good to know. However, I'm still not understanding why it seems like there is a loss of power between changing gears?
ErbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #145
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErbyT View Post
This is good to know. However, I'm still not understanding why it seems like there is a loss of power between changing gears?
do you mean flaring, or are you talking about wot?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #146
HeathenSS

I have the shudder on my recently purchased 2016 2SS.
Taking it to be looked at on Thursday, but the dealership was familiar with the issue
HeathenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #147
Paul_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post

This is great information. I got the car in today at my local dealer in Chantilly, VA and they finished it in a couple hours and they were in-tune to the problem and did not hesitate to take it.

With the exception of the "learning" they told me almost exactly the same thing including the "drive it for 200 miles" thing.

I'm at least a little excited to get it back without the symptoms. The question is should I be easy on it to avoid the anything -or- is this problem bound to come back no matter what?

What I want to try and achieve is symptom-less driving until the fix is released from Chevy to avoid any possible catastrophe if that makes sense. However I have a feeling no matter what, after it re-learns my driving the issue will return.

Paul
Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #148
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
This is great information. I got the car in today at my local dealer in Chantilly, VA and they finished it in a couple hours and they were in-tune to the problem and did not hesitate to take it.

With the exception of the "learning" they told me almost exactly the same thing including the "drive it for 200 miles" thing.

I'm at least a little excited to get it back without the symptoms. The question is should I be easy on it to avoid the anything -or- is this problem bound to come back no matter what?

What I want to try and achieve is symptom-less driving until the fix is released from Chevy to avoid any possible catastrophe if that makes sense. However I have a feeling no matter what, after it re-learns my driving the issue will return.

Paul
I wouldn't be any easier, or harder on it. Drive it how you want to drive it.

Sadly, I'm not convinced the problem, even with the latest round of fixes, is gone for good. My car has seen almost 10k since the new TC and 2 rounds of fluid flushes. It hasn't returned. I'm not convinced it won't.

however, I am acutely atuned to how my car acts after a tcm relearn procedure. I've been through it almost 4 times, including the flushes. This last time, which came with the new tc, the car acted different, but in a good way. I'm almost convinced that they did something on the tune side that they aren't sharing, but I have nothing but seat of the pants to prove it.

My hopes lie with them releasing a tune for the slip tables or something similar with whatever their fix is. I also hope maybe they'll offer that to me, even if my car doesn't exhibit the symptoms whenever they do get around to releasing it.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #149
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Paul
It will return...I had my TCM reprogrammed 2 years ago, was great for a few months, then totally crapped out last year, rebuilt transmission. Shudder/issues are back now. Getting by for now with my Range, which helps a lot being in 8 all the time.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #150
Paul_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
It will return...I had my TCM reprogrammed 2 years ago, was great for a few months, then totally crapped out last year, rebuilt transmission. Shudder/issues are back now. Getting by for now with my Range, which helps a lot being in 8 all the time.
It just so happens I bought a Range but haven’t used it yet just in case the first treatment didn’t work and/or it comes back.

How is that device working for you? Any caveats or issues to look for?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #151
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I had my 2nd flush done a couple hundred miles ago. The shudder seems to have gone away. But the car seems off. When I give it gas at times it struggles to go right away and it has a delay before it just goes. Is this part of the re adapting process? This happened both when I put my foot all the way down in a hard take off and also happens in a light throttle acceleration.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #152
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It just so happens I bought a Range but haven’t used it yet just in case the first treatment didn’t work and/or it comes back.

How is that device working for you? Any caveats or issues to look for?
Works great, keeps it using all 8 cylinders all the time, definitely cuts the shudder and A8 issues down to a much more acceptable level...at least for now until hopefully the fix will be out. Just make sure you turn on or plug in the Range before car is started. Have to wait for the LED to turn off before starting. Once started wait for the LED to stop blinking and go solid before putting car in D or R. If you leave your car for a while, for days, then get a cable with power swtich like I have or unplug the Range, it could drain the battery.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #153
Sscamarozoe

Drives: 2016 hyper blue Camaro 2ss
I've had the tc replaced the first time for the shudder but it came back now they won't replace it anymore. I've had the flush twice and it's back again. I'm just curious what happens after the warranty runs out because it happens twice a year. I have a 2016 2ss with 54000 miles owned it since day one
Sscamarozoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #154
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
It’s my recollection that if an issue is brought up under warranty and the warranty runs out, said issue is still covered having been brought in, serviced but still not fixed.
I have just over 4K on mine and serviced 11/2 for it and had the triple flush and hoses cleaned out. Had just started getting the shutter in late August and maybe on felt it slightly 3-4 times. I don’t drive much and bought the car new. Since the service I may have put 350 miles on the car and it felt solid and no hard shifts as I was told I might experience.
I’m hoping the Q1 fix will be a mature resolve, but obviously replacing TC is not a solid fix and I know some have replaced their OEM with CircleD and curious if that resolved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk