Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
How are my fellow new manual drivers doing?

Just wondering how everyone who bought their camaro without knowing how to drive it is doing now. I know at least one of you wanted to sell it cause you weren't completely happy with a manual but idk if you ended up doing it. How is every one else doing though???

I'm 10 days short of a full year since I picked up my camaro without knowing how to drive it and I'm extremely happy with mine. I've stalled only about 3 times in the past 6 months and I know what to do in most situations now. I'm also not scared at all of hills and I can take off from a stop just fine now too. All in all once the frustrations from learning were all gone , I began to fully enjoy my car. I'm not expert by any means yet but I'll get there
Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Branight

Drives: 2016 2SS White M6
I've had mine for 6 months now, and if I had to do it all over again, I would def go with the automatic. This is my 4th manual vehicle to have as a daily driver and it is no where near as smooth or consistent on shifts as any of my previous cars. It makes lots of "clunk" sounds when driving at low speeds, friction zone is never in the same place as the last shift, and the rev match feature doesn't control the throttle fast enough to prevent jerky shifts (especially 2nd gear). In fact that's really the only thing I don't like about my car, other than the transmission it is perfect!!!

2016 2SS M6, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Nav, mostly stock.
Branight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Jdelgado92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branight View Post
I've had mine for 6 months now, and if I had to do it all over again, I would def go with the automatic. This is my 4th manual vehicle to have as a daily driver and it is no where near as smooth or consistent on shifts as any of my previous cars. It makes lots of "clunk" sounds when driving at low speeds, friction zone is never in the same place as the last shift, and the rev match feature doesn't control the throttle fast enough to prevent jerky shifts (especially 2nd gear). In fact that's really the only thing I don't like about my car, other than the transmission it is perfect!!!
Hey that's cheating! You already knew how to drive manuals. But yea I hear great things from the A8 guys, maybe just maybe if get another daily, it'll be an automatic , probably not though
Old 02-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
Funny, I think this car is way smoother than my last car. It is sooooooo much quieter than my last car.

Rev match and hill hold assist make this car relatively easy to learn how to drive stick.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
MarioKartSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, M6, NPP
One year and 5k miles later, I'm doing pretty good It can get pretty annoying in horrible rush hour traffic here in Seattle though. But whenever i take it on twisty back-roads, I freakin love it! Sooo much more enjoyable rowing through the gears.
MarioKartSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
MSMYYC
@maplefed

Drives: 16' MBM 2SS,
I have no regrets at all. So much fun even being in SoCal as a daily! Yes the twin disc clutch is noisy when the operator is getting on or off the clutch "differently", but I'm happy being slower than an 8 Speed car as much as I love the sound of that snap when it bangs gears! I love both but have no regrets never owning a manual car before jumping in my 6th gen!
MSMYYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
Alex-A

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th Anniversary
I bought this car as my first manual car ever. I stalled it quite a bit during the first 300 kilometers. Now it has 6000 KM on it, and I love it! Still learning how to rev match perfectly, every time.
Alex-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Bosun68
One El E

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE M6
I learned on a manual back in the early '80s and this is my 3rd of 4 Camaro's that I've owned with a manual. It's definitely a different animal from my 2010 M6 but I adapted quickly.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 AM   #9
BamBam2SS

Drives: 2017 2SS/M6 W/MRC & NPP
Quote:
You definitely did not have a 370z as one of your 4th cars.

My last one was a 370z and that was a super unforgiving transmission... I'm not relevant to this thread subject as I've been driving a stick since 2004 but my M6 2SS is one of the most forgiving manual transmissions I've had yet. Not as smooth as a BMW's 6 speed but it's far from jerky and I don't experience any clunking unless I did something wrong.

I've had people ride with me and after a few minutes be surprised when they realize I'm doing the shifting because of how smooth the transitions are...

The 370z on the other hand, If you didn't shift at the perfect RPM in the perfect time and didn't have the perfect amount of pedal switch off it would jerk, Bog and if starting off in first it would have a lag in acceleration.

But the rev matching on the Z was a lot better than the Camaro's, The Z would rev match only when you would put it in a gear as opposed to the Camaro's where it rev matches every time you press in the clutch to go in to neutral.
BamBam2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #10
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
found myself 1-3-5 shifting....ALOT....
car drives nice that way and is happy to do it.

still hate the nannys.
even turned off...... they still SUCK
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #11
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Shifts like butter. Just a real pleasure to drive.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
zeekle

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam2SS View Post
You definitely did not have a 370z as one of your 4th cars.

My last one was a 370z and that was a super unforgiving transmission... I'm not relevant to this thread subject as I've been driving a stick since 2004 but my M6 2SS is one of the most forgiving manual transmissions I've had yet. Not as smooth as a BMW's 6 speed but it's far from jerky and I don't experience any clunking unless I did something wrong.

I've had people ride with me and after a few minutes be surprised when they realize I'm doing the shifting because of how smooth the transitions are...

The 370z on the other hand, If you didn't shift at the perfect RPM in the perfect time and didn't have the perfect amount of pedal switch off it would jerk, Bog and if starting off in first it would have a lag in acceleration.

But the rev matching on the Z was a lot better than the Camaro's, The Z would rev match only when you would put it in a gear as opposed to the Camaro's where it rev matches every time you press in the clutch to go in to neutral.
My last two cars were Z cars and I am having a little adjustment problems but I agree the camaro is a lot more forgiving.

Because the clutch doesn't grip so hard and fast its hard to feel the engagement point.

I am giving up on the rev matching in this car but I was spoiled to Nissan version.
zeekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Smoothest manual I have ever had shifts like butter!

The Z is the loudest clunkiest transmission I have owned by far i Mastered the car over time but the car only liked wot runs then it was smooth shifting around 68 hundred rpm. Lol
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
Jdelgado92

Yea with this particular car I fine, I highly doubt I'd be able to drive any other manual on my first couple of tries lol especially the 370z if it's as bad as you guys say. Actually I wanted the 379z so bad before the 5the camaro made its grand appearance