Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-12-2024, 02:40 PM   #1
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Does tire wear look concerning ?

These tires have had a lot of time on track. The tread looks very used but is fine. But this definitive line separating the used rubber and unused rubber is new. I wasn’t sure if this is just how it goes when the tires get significantly worn down. Or if these are something that should not be run on track anymore. These are rear tires that are at -2 degrees

Sorry for the pictures not being great. And the mud. Had a small off at NJMP this weekend lol
Attached Images

beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
nikerret

Drives: 2014 Ford F-350
I’m no help on the the tires beyond a picture of the tread faces would likely be helpful, but I would like to hear more about your off.
1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 04:14 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Looks like you're running high tire pressures on track as only the middle of your tire is worn out. They may even be corded on the inside, no way to tell without removing the wheel. You need to remove these and take a better look all around, these pictures aren't enough. Only thing I can tell for sure is that your pressures are crazy high.

Also I can't see any threads, so I am going to say you need new tires.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:22 PM   #4
beworthy3

Sorry the pictures were bad. Was being lazy. No cords tho. I am usually pretty spot on with my pressures and I’ll be honest on the first day of the year i was not paying attention to somethings that i should have. Started at like 28 psi on the day
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2024, 05:23 PM   #5
beworthy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I’m no help on the the tires beyond a picture of the tread faces would likely be helpful, but I would like to hear more about your off.
The off was right after i set my 1st PB on the day. Was way hot into T1 and looped it lol
Old 03-12-2024, 05:37 PM   #6
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beworthy3 View Post
Sorry the pictures were bad. Was being lazy. No cords tho. I am usually pretty spot on with my pressures and I’ll be honest on the first day of the year i was not paying attention to somethings that i should have. Started at like 28 psi on the day
To me, from the first 3 pictures they are probably very close to cording on the outside edge, you can definitely get some more sessions out of them if you want but I don't think it will be much. There is very little "meat" on that outside edge. You definitely need more camber and check your toe just in case.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 03-12-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:45 PM   #7
beworthy3

I think they are definitely close too. I didn’t know if there was any extra concern with how the rubber goes super worn to not very warn. I have definitely gotten moneys worth out of these tires.

I have another set in my garage ready to go. My nexy day is at NJMP and then after that it’s the pocono mega course. Definitely going to have the new set on for pocono. But was debating whether i can run these again. Might just throw the new on to be safe
Old 03-12-2024, 05:46 PM   #8
Christian1LE

So I'm looking at some pictures of my tires when I had to replace them, here is what I have. Might give you some reference. Your settings might be ok, I think these tires kind of wear like this.

Sorry for my feet lol, but keep in mind that I had too much toe(no pun intended) on my alignment with this wear, you can see mine corded on the inside first, but this was due to toe not camber.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2024, 06:18 PM   #9
beworthy3

Ok yeah i think I’ll just take them out to be safe. I have the rear camber maxed out. And have the SPL toe rods in so that should still be fine. I’ll prob throw the new ones on and check the alignment. I heard toe kills these things
Old 03-13-2024, 01:01 AM   #10
sab123

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by beworthy3 View Post
Ok yeah i think I’ll just take them out to be safe. I have the rear camber maxed out. And have the SPL toe rods in so that should still be fine. I’ll prob throw the new ones on and check the alignment. I heard toe kills these things

I think your tires look fine. Not new, and with more wear on the outside (could use a little more negative camber?) but not corded yet. Not much tread to run in a serious rain but fine for a mild drizzle, and very likely have a whole another track day in them (and probably more in cold weather, especially with a mild drizzle).

If you feel like more serious tire-cost-saving, you can remount these tires "inside-out" (so that former inside is on the outside) and get more track time out of them. Even when the manufacturer recommends only one side as outside, it works the other way around too, I used to do that all the time for the lapping days on Gen-4 Camaro, flipping the tires mid-season. The tires might be not as quick as the proper way but what does it matter for a lapping day?
sab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:16 AM   #11
sab123

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
So I'm looking at some pictures of my tires when I had to replace them, here is what I have. Might give you some reference. Your settings might be ok, I think these tires kind of wear like this.

Sorry for my feet lol, but keep in mind that I had too much toe(no pun intended) on my alignment with this wear, you can see mine corded on the inside first, but this was due to toe not camber.

Do you do much trail-braking into the turns? In my experience, this kind of wear, with most of wear on the outside but cording on extreme inside, tends to happen on the inside tire when braking hard and deep into the turn (it gets even worse on the cars without ABS, with flat spots). In a turn the inner tire leans towards the inside, and also gets unloaded, so any strong braking scrubs the inside corner pretty badly.

Adjust the toe, by all means, but the cause might also be in the driving technique.
sab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:27 AM   #12
beworthy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab123 View Post
Do you do much trail-braking into the turns? In my experience, this kind of wear, with most of wear on the outside but cording on extreme inside, tends to happen on the inside tire when braking hard and deep into the turn (it gets even worse on the cars without ABS, with flat spots). In a turn the inner tire leans towards the inside, and also gets unloaded, so any strong braking scrubs the inside corner pretty badly.

Adjust the toe, by all means, but the cause might also be in the driving technique.
Im not really thinking about cost saving since I have the other set of tires ready to go. I just wanted to see if I could use these one more time at NJMP before I go to Pocono. The tread isnt my main concern, but that defined line from the very worn (almost smooth) rubber to the rubber that has not been used as much in the picture has me slightly concerned. I know these tires are very fast down to the cords and I just did not want to get rid of them too early.

And yes I do a lot of trail breaking
Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM   #13
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab123 View Post

I do trail brake a lot but this is not what that is. This was my first ever set of tires on my 1LE, I've fixed my toe since then and it usually will cord on the outside first now, even with -3.1 and -2.4 rear.

It's perfectly fine and it's all just a part of tracking the car, tires just get wrecked.