Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
Percell64

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS
Unhappy Broken Axle

Had the car for a little over 2 years now, put 44k miles on it and its my daily driver. At around 25k miles (March 9th) my driver side cv boot blew apart; thankfully i was able to coast into the work. What had happened was the bolts had backed out most likely due to not being torqued enough from the factory and not being long enough. It wasnt really an issue since chevy fixed it under warranty. But now its 20k miles (Nearly 7 months exactly) later and the same exact thing happened but now on the passenger side. I know that this topic has been discussed before I just figured I'd put my two cents in after having the same thing happen to me in nearly the exact same spot it happened the first time. The car is a 2016 2SS M6.
Some people might say its due to dogging out the car but i was pulling out of work doing somewhere between 1500 and 2k rpm when i heard a loud clunk then the car just free revved. Race car problems i guess.
The dealer is claiming I'm the first person in history to ever blow out both CV Boots in a stock 6th Gen SS.
Percell64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Percell64

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS
First image is the most recent CV that broke. Both of these issues were caused by the bolts backing out.
Attached Images

Percell64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
It's an issue with the 2016s apparently. It is unlucky to have both go, but I would have had the dealer change all the affected bolts with the updated ones. Who knows, the rear axles might be next.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote