Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 10-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
CamaroATL

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS + NPP + MRC
Dealership trying not to cover warranty

I'm pulling away from a stop light and I feel something slip. I pull into the gas station and as I shift into reverse the car won't move and is making a weird noise. I park it. I get it towed to a shop that I go to and guy puts it up on a lift. Every bolt in my rear driver-side axle has come out. I have had a few friends have this exact issue happen to them and I find the service bulletin that addresses it.

TSB # 16-NA-399

I get it towed to my dealership and they start giving me the run around. They claim 3 reasons as to why they won't repair it.

1) there is rubber on the rear fender indicating burnouts. Truthfully, this has occurred from a combination of a track day or 2, and normal driving.

2) wear/tear on the tires. This is a lie because I have new street radials less than a month old.

3) a sticker that says "Shop's_Name Racing" on my rear window. The shop that wrapped my car put that on there as advertisement.

So now, here I am without my car for 2 weeks, trying to escalate this issue because they're trying to give me the run around.

Has anyone else had any success with getting this service bulletin addressed and what was the route you took? They're really doing whatever they can to get out of fixing a relatively cheap fix.
CamaroATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
That's ridiculous.

Dealers get paid by GM to fix cars under warranty. Not to do product investigations on cars they "think" have been abused. Unless they have proof that the bolts came out due to some sort of abuse they should simply fix the car, get reimbursed from GM and move along.

If they don't want to fix the car they should close their facility and get in some other sort of business. What kind of business operates this way? Pissing people off instead of just doing their job.

Good luck.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Contact Chevrolet customer service. Or go talk to another dealer and tell them what happened.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I'm in the Atlanta area too. Do you mind telling me the Dealer as an FYI? I've used Bellamy Strickland in McDonough and they're great to work with. It may be a bit too far south for you, but if you go there ask for Sean, he's friendly and very accommodating.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
DHCP

Drives: 2018 CAMARO 1SS AUTO WHITE
Yeah, could you please let us know the dealer name to avoid it.
DHCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
CamaroATL

The first dealership that I took it to was Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Buford in Georgia. It was towed there at night and I got a phone call the next morning at 7:30am from them saying "hey, you're going to have to come up here and pay for us to do a diagnosis on your car. We see rubber on the rear fender well indicating that it's been abused so we are not going to look any further"....

they literally did not even CHECK on what my issue was or anything...

I told them not to touch my car then and that i'd be up there to get it.

I then, without informing them of where my car was being towed to, got it towed to Steve Rayman Chevrolet in Smyrna, Georgia.

I get a call from the service tech saying "hey, we did a diagnosis and the rear bolts have come out of your axle. However, the manager at Rick Hendrick Chevrolet of Buford sent an email to my manager telling them not to service your car. You might as well just upgrade the rear end anyways."

So I go up there and the service tech basically tries to brush it off like "yea man, you might as well just upgrade the rear end because it'll just happen again with you having that additional horsepower".

I tell him that there are cars out there with 800rwhp running on stock axles and differentials. My car doesn't even have 500rwhp.

I filed a complaint with the BBB a few days ago. My car is just sitting up there right now because I don't want to get it towed away just to turn around and have it towed back.

I filed a complaint with Chevrolet Customer Service as well and was emailed and told that they will not be covering it because of the "wear and tear" on my tires and the "sticker" that says "racing".

At this point i'm not sure how to escalate but i'm going to call tomorrow to try.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroATL View Post
1) there is rubber on the rear fender indicating burnouts. Truthfully, this has occurred from a combination of a track day or 2, and normal driving.

2) wear/tear on the tires. This is a lie because I have new street radials less than a month old.

3) a sticker that says "Shop's_Name Racing" on my rear window. The shop that wrapped my car put that on there as advertisement.

I totally agree its wrong of them to do that but then those things aren't doing you any favors when trying to apply a warranty.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Okay, so your conversation about horsepower leads me to believe the car has been on a dyno and there are some minor bolt-ons etc.
If so, you're screwed for warranty, but the good news is this is an easy fix and your motor is not hurt.

Rubber on the fenders and all that seems to be them saying your car is modded and it's not covered. We all know these cars are covered on the track and some even come with line lock for burn outs so as long as it's not modded you have a case.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
1st)The car is warrantied for track use in stock form.

2nd) A tune does not void the warranty on the rest of the car...just the engine. Even at that it depends on the dealership. Some are mod friendly.

I would Print off the TSB and hand it to them.

If still nothing call Chevy, tell them the issue, tsb, and take the car elsewhere.

I don't see how any part with a TSB or recall can be denied coverage. That basically means these parts are failing on stock cars, so the part is the issue and nothing else.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
1st)The car is warrantied for track use in stock form.

2nd) A tune does not void the warranty on the rest of the car...just the engine. Even at that it depends on the dealership. Some are mod friendly.

I would Print off the TSB and hand it to them.

If still nothing call Chevy, tell them the issue, tsb, and take the car elsewhere.

I don't see how any part with a TSB or recall can be denied coverage. That basically means these parts are failing on stock cars, so the part is the issue and nothing else.
If they find a tune in the system, they can definitely void the whole powertrain warranty. But chances of GM asking a dealership for the tune file is pretty rare. Usually only if they have to replace a engine or trans.

A TSB is just that, Technical Service Bulletin. They have to duplicate the problem to fix it. Recalls are done no matter what. Usually they are only issued for emissions or safety related issues.

I would just take the car elsewhere.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Okay, so your conversation about horsepower leads me to believe the car has been on a dyno and there are some minor bolt-ons etc.
If so, you're screwed for warranty, but the good news is this is an easy fix and your motor is not hurt.

Rubber on the fenders and all that seems to be them saying your car is modded and it's not covered. We all know these cars are covered on the track and some even come with line lock for burn outs so as long as it's not modded you have a case.
the car has bolt-ons. This exact TSB has happened to 4 of my friends, some of whom are stock and some of whom are more heavily modded than myself. Headers and a throttle body does not warrant the bolts coming out of your axle which is addressed in a TSB and has happend to the majority of your friends with 6th gens. I have not been on a dyno, I just know based on estimate that my car is around 480-ish hp.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroATL View Post
the car has bolt-ons. This exact TSB has happened to 4 of my friends, some of whom are stock and some of whom are more heavily modded than myself. Headers and a throttle body does not warrant the bolts coming out of your axle which is addressed in a TSB and has happend to the majority of your friends with 6th gens. I have not been on a dyno, I just know based on estimate that my car is around 480-ish hp.
I'm just stating the hard cold facts. Just add a catch can and your drive train warranty can be null and void regardless of what it actually affected.

If your warranty has not already been blocked, find another dealer. The ones with common sense know that your bolt-ons did not cause this and most I've seen will fix it. Problem is once you get started at the wrong dealer these things typically go the wrong way. If it does you don't have a leg to stand on and will just have to pay to get it fixed.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #13
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
All of this just for 6 bolts. Buy the 6 bolts, put them in with locktite and torque them down.
Is your time worth it? Towing, haggling over it. waiting?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
All of this just for 6 bolts. Buy the 6 bolts, put them in with locktite and torque them down.
Is your time worth it? Towing, haggling over it. waiting?
It's not all this over just 6 bolts. There is a good chance that axle assembly, shaft, seals, flange and possibly drivetrain are damaged due to these bolts coming out. For me to take it somewhere to get bolts put back on just to find out that the issue remains would further delay getting them to just fix what their service bulletin addresses.