Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #15
ny tdi

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 6MT Convertible
Mine just popped right out. A loud "clank" sent it flying through the air. Car is at the dealership right now getting that replaced.
ny tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Just went to pick up my car for the passenger flap and the whole assembly lifting up...
Half ass repair, they didn't even pop the panel down properly.... which was replaced. After cycling the roof a few times, it's still lifting the piece around the flap when the roof bar hits the flap. Drove it right back to the service bay, we'll see what they say when they call me. My wife took a video of it, I'm not too pleased. Didn't buy the vehicle from the dealership that I took it to. Lets see if they can get it right the second time......

I wonder if it has something to do with the right rear of the car... I noticed that the trunk lid rubber stop is screwed out about a good 3/8 to 1/2" higher than the drivers side to make the trunk lid line up properly with the rest of the car. Can the trunk hinges be adjusted or is that just the POS that I have to live with?
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Mine pops out if I lean on it too hard. I can manipulate it back into place. The plastic guide pops out of the slot that it sits in.

Look at how it works while its working so you can fix it back if it ever pops out. Its not really difficult. I can see how it could break something to raise / lower the top with that popped out of place.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #18
RallyHT

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Conv V6
Sorry everyone. I lost track of this thread. Since mine was not a big deal, I waited until after my road trip to take it in. I schedule to have it looked at yesterday at a dealer. They came back and said they have to order parts.

We will see if they can fix it. This is why I bought an extended warranty. I want these unproven mechs covered under warranty.

Order Help on Camaro6
RallyHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 AM   #19
Jamaison

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Convertible
I took mine in last week for a few other things (including rear differential flush because of rubbing noise -- different thread) and they also ordered a part for this repair. Waiting to hear back that the part is in. I was told that would be Thursday or Friday (today).
Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #20
nukemustang

Drives: 2017 Raptor, 2017 SS
Well, add me to the list. The cover on the drivers side gets hung up pretty much every time the top gets cycles. The passenger side works great and I will tell you it seems to operate much more smoothly than the drivers side. I tried the white lithium spray and cycling it a bunch, but it still seems to want to get hung up. When the car goes back for some other service, I will bring it up, but until then... I just have to remember to flip it shut.

SOLD:2016 2SS Red Hot Convertible with black metallic rally stripes
SOLD:2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS Convertible. Completed modifications: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:04 AM   #21
Jamaison

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Convertible
Not sure if it will work, but it might be worth emailing a photo to the dealership about a week before: I waited until I needed service but (no surprise) they needed to order a part and so it will cost me another trip. Not sure if it's an issue well-known enough for them to know what to order without seeing it in person, but might be worth a shot.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #22
MostlyHarmless

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
I had the same problem with the sticking flap on the passenger side of my Convertible

I operated it manually many times to see what the issue is and the problem is a build up of tolerances - the track is slightly too wide for the plastic cover and therefore allows the cover to move inside the track and therefore it does not always slide perfectly straight. Pretty sure that just replacing the part is not going to be a permanent fix unless the dealership usable to tighten up the gap between the tracks so that the flap runs straight.

On my car I made a very small modification that has fixed it perfectly. I was pretty sure that the dealer changing the part wouldn't fix it and I didn't really want them taking apart my car and risk them getting something else wrong :-)

With the roof down I manually pushed the flap half open with one hand and then took some side cutters and cut a very small corner off the leading edge of the flap. So instead of the flap ending in a right angle that could get caught in the track it now has a angle at the leading edge so that if the flap is not running perfectly straight then it hits the angle and guides itself back in place.

The end of the flap is hidden by the tonneau plastic roof cover, so when the roof is open you cannot see the small piece I have cut away.

It was worked 100% perfectly since I made that mod

Thanks

Mark
MostlyHarmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #23
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
I had the same problem with the sticking flap on the passenger side of my Convertible

I operated it manually many times to see what the issue is and the problem is a build up of tolerances - the track is slightly too wide for the plastic cover and therefore allows the cover to move inside the track and therefore it does not always slide perfectly straight. Pretty sure that just replacing the part is not going to be a permanent fix unless the dealership usable to tighten up the gap between the tracks so that the flap runs straight.

On my car I made a very small modification that has fixed it perfectly. I was pretty sure that the dealer changing the part wouldn't fix it and I didn't really want them taking apart my car and risk them getting something else wrong :-)

With the roof down I manually pushed the flap half open with one hand and then took some side cutters and cut a very small corner off the leading edge of the flap. So instead of the flap ending in a right angle that could get caught in the track it now has a angle at the leading edge so that if the flap is not running perfectly straight then it hits the angle and guides itself back in place.

The end of the flap is hidden by the tonneau plastic roof cover, so when the roof is open you cannot see the small piece I have cut away.

It was worked 100% perfectly since I made that mod

Thanks

Mark
Mark- can you post a pic of how you did this fix? thanks!
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #24
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
I flew from San Diego to SFO last week to pick my new vert up with my dad (82). He leaned into the car to put his bag in the back seat, and put his big paw on the mechanism cover and snap! the arm that slides the cover broke off. The dealer immediately yelled "it wasn't me, it was him!" [not reassuring when you're buying a $50k plus car], and he said just call your dealer when you get home (550 miles away).
I tried to remain calm and said no, we need to fix this before we leave. Salesguy said they didn't have the part, and it would be weeks before he could get it. I convinced him to grab the arm from another vert on the lot, and ultimately, he did, we installed, and were on our way.

I was shocked that these things are so fragile; my dad is a big guy, but the "pot metal" the mechanism is made out of can be bent with a strong sneeze. I gave me a big warning on the long-term quality, at least for the roof mechanism.

Car drives awesomely, but I'm very wary of the build quality after that incident. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #25
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Seen this issue multiple times with convertibles on the lot. We just keep reporting them to GM. Very common on the convertible, I've even seen one of those go flying clean off the car when we dropped the top.

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #26
MostlyHarmless

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
This is the small cut I made to the flap. Only about 1/4 inch off the edge. Enough to help guide it, but still keeping it on the end part of the flap which is hidden by the tonneau cover when the roof closes

Obviously the official fix is to take this to the dealer and have them change the part, but looking at the tolerances on the mechanism I have no confidence that a new part will work any better. It looks hit and miss to me.

Mark
Attached Images

MostlyHarmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
This is the small cut I made to the flap. Only about 1/4 inch off the edge. Enough to help guide it, but still keeping it on the end part of the flap which is hidden by the tonneau cover when the roof closes

Obviously the official fix is to take this to the dealer and have them change the part, but looking at the tolerances on the mechanism I have no confidence that a new part will work any better. It looks hit and miss to me.

Mark
Thanks for posting that photo.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #28
RallyHT

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Conv V6
Quote:

Mark
I went out and looked closer are my 2017. It looks like my binding issue is not on the flap you trimmed - you can see it appears there is ample space (maybe too much). Mine appears to be binding on the metal roller. Definitely not something I am going to attempt to dig into.

Still waiting on 'parts' the dealer had to order. I suspect, they are back for a third try to redesign a solution that works and that we won't see a fix for a while.
Attached Images

Order Help on Camaro6
RallyHT is offline   Reply With Quote