Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #757
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
This version of the 1LE will be easier to recreate from a standard SS. The 5th gen had extra fuel pick ups, different trans gearing, 3.91 axle, extra cooling and some other components which weren't worth installing for most people because cost outweighed the results. This new SS has all the cooling, same trans and rear axle so it will be easier to matchup performance by installing them on trot your SS.
Not the same rear axle, unless you just mean ratio. As you are forgetting one of the most important things, the eLSD will not be available to add...and if it was, I could only imagine the price.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #758
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Actually, this brings up a good point... because the 1LE had to add that stuff (and more), and they still only offered it for $3500. Now, much of that is standard from the SS, so, that could conceivably keep the costs lower than what some are predicting.

--kC
Wishful (but I like it) thinking...
Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #759
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
How many times must it be revisited by different people...before you accept that there is a population of performance car enthusiasts who also want their gizmos?

Here is a full list of 2SS features that the 1SS (1LE-equipped, specifically), does not have.
  • Rear-Park Assist sensors
  • 7-speaker Bose Stereo
  • Heated outside mirrors
  • Heated & Ventilated Front seats
  • Heating Steering wheel
  • Wireless charging station
  • Universal Home Remote
  • Memory Seats
  • Illuminated Sill Plates
  • Interior Spectrum Lighting
  • Inside auto-dimming rearview mirror
  • Dual-zone automatic climate control
  • Aluminum interior trim
  • Leather-appointed door trim
  • Leather-appointed knee pads
  • Available Navigation
  • Rear cross-traffic alert
  • Side Blind-zone alert
You can put a lot of that on the car with LPOs or aftermarket accessories...but not all of it.
With the sole exception of the heated (only) seats and maybe the auto-dimming mirror, there isn't a single thing on that list that I'd want or willingly pay for (there's a few that I actively wouldn't want). Much of it fits the character of a Malibu/Impala/Equinox or higher SUV better than it does anything with significant claim to "sportiness".

Given the 5th gen 1LE's pitch as car "for 2%", mainly meaning road course track day, autocross, and canyon-running drivers, adding "fluff" represents soft clutter that dilutes the car's stated mission. The downstream problem with offering the 1LE with all the 2SS features could end up with it becoming impossible to get a lightly contented 1SS 1LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Thank you. Can we please stop with the holier than thou crap for people (like myself and many others) that want gizmos in their 1LE. It's pretty obvious that a lot of people wish this was available on the 2SS
The question is then whether the gotta-have-all-the-features people are looking at having the 1LE option as a bragging point they can't have without giving up the rest. Features are arguably a better fit in a car that sees the occasional drag race or other brief straight line WOT run. If you're a hardcore corner-carver, any feature that you wouldn't use at a track day - including the time you spend in paddock or waiting in grid on a hot/cold/rainy day - is a feature that you've just discovered to be nonessential and might not get enough use on the street to justify it there either.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-25-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #760
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Given the 5th gen 1LE's pitch as car "for 2%", mainly meaning road course track day, autocross, and canyon-running drivers, adding "fluff" represents soft clutter that dilutes the car's stated mission. The downstream problem with offering the 1LE with all the 2SS features could end up with it becoming impossible to get a lightly contented 1SS 1LE.

The question is then whether the gotta-have-all-the-features people are looking at having the 1LE option as a bragging point they can't have without giving up the rest. Features are arguably a better fit in a car that sees the occasional drag race or other brief straight line WOT run. If you're a hardcore corner-carver, any feature that you wouldn't use at a track day - including the time you spend in paddock or waiting in grid on a hot/cold/rainy day - is a feature that you've just discovered to be nonessential and might not get enough use on the street to justify it there either.

Norm
I want the features because I want the car as a cruiser, road trip car as well as a canyon carver. The 1LE would be the better canyon carver, and the 2SS the better cruiser. Why not combine both? They did it with the V6 allowing them to have the 1LE bits with all the gizmos. I don't quite get why (other than cost, maybe) they would deny the 1LE the 2SS options for those that want it.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #761
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I don't quite get why (other than cost, maybe) they would deny the 1LE the 2SS options for those that want it.
I think since most who will actually track the cars will get the SS 1LE. The LT 1LE cars will see far less track time, would be my guess. Those who will track their car regularly will not want all those options. Same thing goes for the performance pack Mustangs. I personally don't know anyone who tracks their cars (myself included) who would not buy the V8...so their demographic is V8 buyer will track car, will only want performance enhancing items, V6 buyer may want some suspension bits, but will not track they car very much, if at all. Remember, the 1LE packages on the V6 and V8 are hugely different. The V6 is just SS parts added to it, the V8 has many specific parts...just my educated guess.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #762
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I think since most who will actually track the cars will get the SS 1LE. The LT 1LE cars will see far less track time, would be my guess. Those who will track their car regularly will not want all those options. Same thing goes for the performance pack Mustangs. I personally don't know anyone who tracks their cars (myself included) who would not buy the V8...

The v6 1LE is something I'd like to get my wife into, or my son... But he is almost 4yo, so have time before drivers permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #763
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

Norm
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
This version of the 1LE will be easier to recreate from a standard SS. The 5th gen had extra fuel pick ups, different trans gearing, 3.91 axle, extra cooling and some other components which weren't worth installing for most people because cost outweighed the results. This new SS has all the cooling, same trans and rear axle so it will be easier to matchup performance by installing them on trot your SS.
Yeah but I fear you will never be able to add the eLSD and PTM and that's really what I want for track days. for the other 99.9% of the time I drive the car in traffic and on a commute, I want the other gizmo's.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #764
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Yeah but I fear you will never be able to add the eLSD and PTM and that's really what I want for track days.
Al O has already said that the eLSD will not be made available to none SS 1LE/ZL1 owners and such...plus, I would bet, even if you could get the part, that you couldn't get the PTM to work correctly? Not to mention what a eLSD may cost from GM...I would guess $3000+ easy.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #765
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Yeah but I fear you will never be able to add the eLSD and PTM and that's really what I want for track days. for the other 99.9% of the time I drive the car in traffic and on a commute, I want the other gizmo's.
Exactly. This is why I wish I could buy a 1LE 2SS.

I understand what the purist are coming from. I just think the 2SS option should be there for those that want it. If you don't want it, go for the 1SS. This way everybody is happy.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #766
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
All those talking about having the option there have a very valid point. The 2SS 1LE 5th gen was easily the higher selling trim model if you go off production stats.

I think GM feared the cost of the 1LE 2SS 6th gen in all honesty. It will be an expensive vehicle.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #767
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
You do realize that the V6 version of 1LE runs tires and wheels more like the sizes that used to be in the RS package rather than the much more serious 10"/11" and 285/35-20's of the 5th gen 1LE? IOW, not quite the same upgrade that the 5th gen 1LE was to its SS. The V6 isn't going to be a hardcore corner-carver's normal choice, so it probably doesn't need quite as hard-edged a version of 1LE as the V8, but is nice to see it get some attention here.

Combining both at the mfr level has the potential for driving the 1LE up into fully-optioned only territory. But maybe you could find a dealer who would work with you.

Norm
Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #768
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
You do realize that the V6 version of 1LE runs tires and wheels more like the sizes that used to be in the RS package rather than the much more serious 10"/11" and 285/35-20's of the 5th gen 1LE?
The V6 1LE is essentially a Gen6 SS with a V6 engine.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #769
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
The V6 1LE is essentially a Gen6 SS with a V6 engine.

--kC
Yup, and I feel like GM should not be calling it a 1LE...more like V6 performance pack or something.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #770
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Meh.. what do you get extra in a 2SS..

Disco lights - Can be added
Leather kneepads - Can be added
Leather pad at the top of the door - Not sure if replaceable, anyone know?
Heated seats/steering wheel - Do you want all-season tires as well?
Dual zone climate - Sucks to be your passenger.. life's tough
BOSE - Bose is a little overrated and a PITA to replace down the road, go to a nice stereo shop and get some Focal/Dynaudio/etc.
Blind spot - Convex mirrors are 5 bucks..
Memory seats & auto-dimming mirrors - This is a deal-breaker? Come on it's a Camaro we're talking about here.

Maybe I'm biased but I don't see any real need for those items.. I'd rather see as a low a price point as possible. I'm coming from a WRX and the base model TR at that. I had an Acura before with most of the fancy options and don't miss them at all. Honestly I wish the 1LE came with manual adjusting seats.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro 1le, 2017 camaro, 2017 camaro 1le, 6th gen camaro 1le, camaro 1le, camaro 1le 6th gen, camaro forum, camaro forums