Nope, that's on the fender.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #72
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Probably to bump up the FE numbers. Lighter car requires less power-oriented tune and allows a more efficient one.
Doesn't power come with efficiency?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #73
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Too bad Chevy doesn't have an AWD car. This would be a perfect candidate.
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #74
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Doesn't power come with efficiency?
Usually that only happens when you increase the compression ratio. For most other things, its one or the other.

Once you near the pre-ignition limit for an engine, you essentially have to do wasteful things with the fuel in order to keep the engine happy. Tuning the engine for a lower power target lets you waste less gas.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #75
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Very strong design. I actually like the current Malibu, but this effort was needed for Chevrolet to become more competitive. I've always felt that the Malibu was an equal for Camry and Accord; Perhaps this design will finally catapult Malibu into the top three sales slot.
I think the top three is a bit optimistic (at least for this generation). If this new Malibu makes the impact that the initial reaction would seem to indicate, I could see it meeting the stated sales goals (250k per year - maybe a bit more). That would put it into a solid number five spot behind Fusion.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #76
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Much much much better .
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #77
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
I think the top three is a bit optimistic (at least for this generation). If this new Malibu makes the impact that the initial reaction would seem to indicate, I could see it meeting the stated sales goals (250k per year - maybe a bit more). That would put it into a solid number five spot behind Fusion.
It is reaching; I feel that it isn't necessarily the design that is keeping Malibu behind. The american cars have had to contend with a lingering reputation of poor quality and design that, until roughly a decade or more ago, has gone unanswered. IMO GM started answering the poor quality of their products as long ago as 1995, with better ignition systems and more integrated engine management electronics. Its not amazing that it has taken nearly 20 years for the company to begin to shed its bad skin from the horrible late 70's and 80's. Once GM can universally change customers' impression of their products, I feel that we should see an improvement in sales of its mainstream cars like Malibu. GM and Chevy are getting the message; It wasn't long ago that buyers had to suffer with a marginal design for almost a decade without change. GM is really trying to get back in the forefront of the industry.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #78
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Usually that only happens when you increase the compression ratio. For most other things, its one or the other.

Once you near the pre-ignition limit for an engine, you essentially have to do wasteful things with the fuel in order to keep the engine happy. Tuning the engine for a lower power target lets you waste less gas.
Are you talking about fuel efficiency or emissions, because it kind of sounds like an emissions thing.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #79
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
behind accord. Fusion is number 3 Altima 2 and Camry is #1.

250K is the sales goal? That is quite the goal, last year they only sold 188K Malibus. even the year before was 200K. I don't think its going to gain 50-70K in sales in one year, maybe in a few but not the first. Like otehr have said the public needs to see how good of a car it is before it starts climbing in with the big boys
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #80
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Are you talking about fuel efficiency or emissions, because it kind of sounds like an emissions thing.
Fuel efficiency. Here's a couple of examples.

It is common to use a rich fuel-air mixture to cool down the air charge, making it less prone to pre-ignition. Tuning your engine so that the air charge isn't as hot (by lowering boost or easing off on the compression ratio) lets you lean out the mix a little bit. When you do that, you get less power but you waste less fuel in the meantime. BMW is supposed to be introducing a new turbo engine that uses water injection (under certain circumstances) in order to improve the fuel economy (and possibly emissions too) by not having to use as much gasoline to achieve the same air charge temperature.

With cam profiles, a high performance cam has more overlap. That means that both the intake & exhaust valves are open at the same time. Inevitably, this leads to unburnt gasoline exiting the cylinder -a complete waste of fuel.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #81
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Looks like a winner to me. Huge improvement over the current model from what I can see.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #82
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Digging the side profile and rear end.

The front end though looks a lot like a larger refreshed Cruze which is no bueno IMO.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #83
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Don't care for the front end styling. Impala looks much better. Everything else is impressive.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #84
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Wow! What a hot unit! If Chevy did this good with the Malibu, they should hopefully hit it out of the park with the Camaro!