Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Did you drive the coupe and still buy the 'Vert?

Just wondering, all the reviews in the mags rave about the handling of the coupe, and quickly dimiss the 'vert as being "sloppy" heavy or non-responsive. For me, the drop-top was the main point of the 'Maro, so I didn't even drive the coupe. I know there are a couple extra lbs (ok, what 200+?) on the vert for rigidity and safety purposes, but is there really a tremendous handling difference between vert and coupe?
My 2SS vert is my DD, and will likely not be tracked, so its not so much important, but just thought I'd check to see if other people struggled with the vert vs. coupe. . . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
I took the coupe out for a test drive. Never considered the convertible....... I was sold on the coupe the minute I sat in it....And it was the 4-cylinder turbo....Then started to ponder that I have never owned a convertible...nor have I owned a V8 in over 25 years..... The rest is history, and I have never been so happy with a vehicle as I am with this one!
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I never considered the coupe because I knew I wanted a convertible. Handling is not an issue to me as I got the car to cruise with the wife and daughter. Now that I think about it, I haven't driven my car at all with the top down. Buying during the winter months blows.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
Shoeless Joe

Drives: Still dreaming
I drove both but I went in knowing I wanted a vert. I'm also not going to take my car to the track so all of the extra stuff is kinda lost on me. I will still do some customizing over time but having a super fast light-weight car with incredible handling isn't really my goal.
Shoeless Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
I'm still trying to find out what this "extra stuff" people are talking about being on the coupe....

I drove both. Fell in love with the vert and knew I wanted another one. One deal breaker to me was the crappy headliner and sunroof that almost all 2SS coupes had.

There is nothing special about the coupe when compared to the vert in my opinion. Brakes, suspension, everything is the same.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
[QUOTE=toro1966;9544790]I'm still trying to find out what this "extra stuff" people are talking about being on the coupe....

The "extra stuff" isn't on the coupe, its on the vert, meaning it has additional structural bracing on the undercarriage to provide additional tortional rigidity and less-prone to roll-overs. Net result is that the car is heavier, and the chassis is less-stiff than the solid-roofed coupe.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
[QUOTE=JBinSD;9544862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
I'm still trying to find out what this "extra stuff" people are talking about being on the coupe....

The "extra stuff" isn't on the coupe, its on the vert, meaning it has additional structural bracing on the undercarriage to provide additional tortional rigidity and less-prone to roll-overs. Net result is that the car is heavier, and the chassis is less-stiff than the solid-roofed coupe.
That's what I thought that might mean. That said, based on the weights people have posted here, the weight gain is minimal. I haven't weighed mine yet, but hope to do so this spring. I also have not noticed the less rigid aspect of this car. I have owned three verts including this one (two mustangs and this one) as well as several other coupes - to include a C6 vette - and this is probably the most rigid vehicles I have owned.

Can't imagine not having the ability to drop the time now. Especially come spring
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
[QUOTE=JBinSD;9544862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post

Yes. Be careful with that - especially if buying aftermarket items such as exhaust systems. Ask me how I know.........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
13Rubicon10A

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue RS,V6,A8,2LT,NPP
I originally wanted a Mustang GT convertible. There weren't any Mustang convertibles in town to test drive so I drove two different coupes, a base GT and a GT with the performance package. I wasn't too impressed with the handling of either one and then drove the Camaro convertible, it was way better handling than the Mustangs I drove. I never tried a Camaro coupe though.
13Rubicon10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
I never considered the coupe because I knew I wanted a convertible. Handling is not an issue to me as I got the car to cruise with the wife and daughter. Now that I think about it, I haven't driven my car at all with the top down. Buying during the winter months blows.
put it in the garage & put the top down, THEN go out on the road with it!

YOLO.......who cares if it's snowing....just do it!
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
I've owned two coupes, test drove a 16 coupe, still buying the convertible.

It's my daily driver, and we have an SUV for everything else.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
16vertSS

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Coming from a C6 Grandsport coupe, I struggled imaging trading my targa top for a sunroof, but I still had initial intentions of a 1LE (coupe). While I never got to drive a 1LE, I drove a few 2SS coupes, and went into the vert test drive expecting to hate it. I honestly didn't notice any notable loss in handling or performance, and felt the trade offs were well worth the drop top.
16vertSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #13
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
I never considered a Camaro until I saw the clean lines of the hard tonneau of the generation 6.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
SCullen
Converts Oxygen to CO2

Drives: 2016 Black SS Convertable
Traded in my gen5 2LT vert for my gen6 2SS Vert. I've never driven a coupe.

SCullen is offline   Reply With Quote