Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
EFI Live Opinion

I see that most people use HP Tuner as their tuning software of choice. What's everyone's opinion of EFI Live?
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have both. HP Tuners is the better software for the LT1 platform. Don't get me wrong... they are close but EFI Live is lacking some critical items if you are looking to go E85 or need to make significant changes to the MAF.

EFI Live used to be my favorite but I don't think the gas platforms are their primary focus these days.

Tim
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
I have both. HP Tuners is the better software for the LT1 platform. Don't get me wrong... they are close but EFI Live is lacking some critical items if you are looking to go E85 or need to make significant changes to the MAF.

EFI Live used to be my favorite but I don't think the gas platforms are their primary focus these days.

Tim
Thanks Tim! I want to purchase but that is a steep price. I know you have to pay to play but if is there a reason to buy the professional version over the standard?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 10-29-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
The pro version allows you to add external sensors, e.g. if you already have an older wideband sensor with a 5v output. If you get an obd port wideband then you can get away without the pro version.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
The pro version allows you to add external sensors, e.g. if you already have an older wideband sensor with a 5v output. If you get an obd port wideband then you can get away without the pro version.
Thanks.

I had read that somewhere else but was sure there had to be more.

Seems like a big price hike just to support analog data.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
TSloper

Skip the analog data and put the money towards the OBDII AEM WB. You won't regret it.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Skip the analog data and put the money towards the OBDII AEM WB. You won't regret it.
You agree to skip the professional version?

Old 10-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Doesn't the Pro HPT also add standalone datalogging? Meaning use just the box and no laptop? That's why I bought the Pro. Using a laptop on the dragstrip to log is a pain, hope to learn how to make it act as standalone soon.

BTW I'm getting some weird stuff on my 2017 with HP beta 3.3 so you might want to hold off a bit...
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Doesn't the Pro HPT also add standalone datalogging? Meaning use just the box and no laptop? That's why I bought the Pro. Using a laptop on the dragstrip to log is a pain, hope to learn how to make it act as standalone soon.

BTW I'm getting some weird stuff on my 2017 with HP beta 3.3 so you might want to hold off a bit...
Thanks. I was going to wait until it comes out of beta. I just want to get what I need. If pro is more than I need then standard it is.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
You agree to skip the professional version?

IF you go with that WB.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
sub_ETCS_ret

For years I've read about tuning and am always a chicken shit but really want to take the plunge this time. I was just looking at the aem and innovate sensors. I read the installation instructions and it looks like the only option is a permanent install. How do you guys mount the o2 sensor? Does it need a permanent mount or can it be placed somewhere temporarily?

Old 10-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #12
TSloper

You don't need to permanently mount at all. I just route the WB cable from underneath the car up around the front quarter panel/door and through the window into the car. I do put some tape underneath areas will the cable will touch the paint to prevent it from creating scratches.

The only other item you will need is power. I'd just use the cig lighter for that in the center console. This is really simple.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
You don't need to permanently mount at all. I just route the WB cable from underneath the car up around the front quarter panel/door and through the window into the car. I do put some tape underneath areas will the cable will touch the paint to prevent it from creating scratches.

The only other item you will need is power. I'd just use the cig lighter for that in the center console. This is really simple.
Do you put the sensor in the tail pipe?

Old 10-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Do you put the sensor in the tail pipe?

No. That is the worst place to put it. Exhaust temps are low and the latency for the exhaust to travel from manifold to tail pipe is high (relatively speaking).

If you have a stock exhaust the best way to approach it from an accuracy perspective is to remove one of the pre-cat O2s and install the WB. This WILL require turning off the O2 codes and turning off closed loop mode. During tuning you don't need the primary O2s in most cases.

You could have a new bung added pre-cat if there is room for it. You could also read post-cat if you absolutely have to. This is much better than the tail pipe.

Tim