Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
SportBud77

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Fifty
Extended Warranty: Genuine GM - At Cost?

I generally trade cars before six digits on the odometer but this Camaro is so awesome that's not happening. I have a '17 Fifty Vert 2SS and plan on keeping it for a while. It's got 25k on it right now.

I know the pros and cons of extended warranties and want the piece of mind knowing anything that breaks will be covered. The math is questionable, I know, but I want one.

That said, I know when I got one for my Honda, there was a dealer in the middle of the country who was selling genuine Honda plans for a tad below cost over the internet. I'm talking like 50% of the price my local dealer wanted for the exact. same. plan.

They were able to do this simply because of volume -- once they hit 100 or 200 warranties a month, they got huge bonuses from Honda and made a ton of money that way.

Is there a similar dealer or place on the internet to get the actual genuine GM extended warranty for almost at cost? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything. On a similar note, what would be a competitive price for a 6 yr / 100k warranty, bought now on a car still under factory 3/36, that is the highest coverage available? I'm interested in exclusionary policies only -- that is where everything on the car is covered unless it's specifically called out and listed as not covered.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SportBud77; 01-25-2019 at 06:10 PM.
SportBud77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
I am also interested about this.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
SportBud77

As a side note, in my searching online I found an epic ton of talk about GMPP vs. GMEPP. But most of it was dated '17 and '18. Is there any new recent late 2018 or early 2019 information on what is still offered and which is preferred based on recent track records?
Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
On the Corvette forum,the most popular dealer to buy an extended warranty from is Dennis Fichtner at Denny Menholt Chevrolet in Billings.Mt. Totally done over the phone or via e-mail. I bought 2 from him in just over a year,1 for a new C7 and the other for a Cruze. For my new Camaro,I got the dealer I bought from to match his price,with a lot of back and forth. Try him at 406 896 3082 or 896 3000. 406 698 6355. Folks swear by him and so do I. He will offer prices with or without deductible,just like your dealer. Just google his name for reference.

Last edited by karmatourer; 01-25-2019 at 06:43 PM.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
SportBud77

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
On the Corvette forum,the most popular dealer to buy an extended warranty from is Dennis Fichtner at Denny Menholt Chevrolet in Billings.Mt. Totally done over the phone or via e-mail. I bought 2 from him in just over a year,1 for a new C7 and the other for a Cruze. For my new Camaro,I got the dealer I bought from to match his price,with a lot of back and forth. Try him at 406 896 3082 or 896 3000. 406 698 6355. Folks swear by him and so do I. He will offer prices with or without deductible,just like your dealer. Just google his name for reference.

Awesome. Just looked over at the Vette forums and got his email and send him a message. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBud77 View Post
Awesome. Just looked over at the Vette forums and got his email and send him a message. Thank you.
You're welcome,good luck.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Keep in mind for the GM warranty, you must purchase it before the expiration (due to mileage or time) of the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:17 AM   #8
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Keep in mind for the GM warranty, you must purchase it before the expiration (due to mileage or time) of the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for sharing that. And the longer you wait and accumulate mileage,the more expensive it is from what I hear.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
It's not the most reliable car, so I understand the interest in a warranty. A counter point about the "piece of mind" with a warranty, is that warranty service has a much lower class of service than if you paid for problems to be fixed out of pocket, particularly outside of the dealership system. Have a problem in need of complex diagnosis? The dealership and tech are only paid a set amount based on parts they can find that need replacing, so there's not much time available for diagnosis. Time spent investigating an issue is money the tech is taking from his family and giving to you. If they replace a part and the underlying problem is still evident, but there is no CEL because they cleared it and it takes time for the necessary thresholds to be reached again, there is nothing they can do. The car is "fixed" until the CEL comes back on. You would be surprised how low the bar is for a car to be considered a properly running. The warranty pays for to work on GM cars. Sometimes that overlaps to addressing the core problem affecting your car, sometimes it's just addressing symptoms and things that have been damaged as a result of the core problem. I can tell you that in my situation, the original factory warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.

Last edited by Snrub; 01-26-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #10
SportBud77

I'm back here about eight months later with 2 months and about 2.5k miles left and still have decided on a warranty. I want the GM plan but can't find this guy's contact info in the Vette forum(s). Anyone have it?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:28 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBud77 View Post
I'm back here about eight months later with 2 months and about 2.5k miles left and still have decided on a warranty. I want the GM plan but can't find this guy's contact info in the Vette forum(s). Anyone have it?
Call the dealer?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Denn...in+Billings.Mt
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #12
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post

I used Fichtner as well. Got a 3 year extended with $0 deductible for a very good price. He is very good to work with. My friend with a Z06 used him as well. Easy process.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote