Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
Frost_SS

Drives: Camaro
Buying used when living out of state

Hello everyone! Looking for a bit of advice and sorry for the wall of text. Ive been looking for a 2019 2ss 1le for some time now basically everywhere local until I decided F*** it ill just ship one. I've managed to locate one for 36k and less thank 5k miles but its half the country away and is at BMW dealer in a more wealthy area. The vehicle has a clean carfax with service history for the first 1200 miles. Nothing really stands out as out of place minus the price being so good. Ive seen new ones as low as 42-44k in some areas not counting the bogus mustang bonus cash incentive.

With this vehicle being so far away I wouldnt be able to test drive it or see in person. Essentially this would all be done over the phone/emails and I would pay to ship the car.

Basically I'm looking for any guidance for something like this. I've never purchased a car so far away and im kind of weary due to it being used (even if miles are very low). The maintenance record on carfax makes it seem the owner atleast broke it in/took care of it in those early miles. Hopefully they just opted to trade in for a luxury bmw instead of owning a muscle car.

p.s. My first car was a 1997 camaro and its past time on rejoining the Camaro gang.
Frost_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
Guns F16

Drives: 2018 1 SS 1LE/FFR 818
Not sure I'd be willing to buy a car without seeing it/driving it first unless you were offered some sort of trial period. More than likely it will be fine due to it being damn near new, but you never know. I just bought a 18 1LE out of state and will be driving it home (1k miles). To me it's worth it and a great way to learn the car. If you have the ability to fly out and test drive it, I'd go that route. Good luck!
Guns F16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I bought my last motorcycle kinda like this. I'm in AZ and it was in CA. Thankfully 1 of the forums I was on had a few members who were able to go and check it out for me. They told me besides needing an oil change and a wash from sitting for a while, it was good to go. So I bought it, had a friend drive with me to go get it and road it home.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #4
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Well you have a few choices:

Fly out to see it yourself. When you consider you’re spending 36k for something what’s a $500 rt plane ticket? Gotta be some cheap flights on SW or Spirit or someone.

Find a buyer’s agent there to go look at it and evaluate it, and pay them $1-200 or so? Third party like a mechanic who knows what to look for.

Find someone on this forum whose willing to go look for obvious stuff. Put it on a hoist and look underneath, etc.

Good thing is, it’s still under B to B so really the only thing you’re looking for is damage, mods, and overall condition. Sounds like it’s priced right.

Be careful about shipping. Get enclosed if you can afford it. They’ll be more careful than the cattle car bulk shippers who’ll throw it on and don’t GaS if it gets scratched. Plus 1000+ miles on an open trailer is more chance for weather and road debris damage.

Good luck!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
Frost_SS

If it wasnt 2000 miles away I would be down. That 1000 mile mark is Kind of the limit for me on driving it back.Im thinking because its so new it should be ok mechanically. Its just a hard choice to make.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost_SS View Post
If it wasnt 2000 miles away I would be down. That 1000 mile mark is Kind of the limit for me on driving it back.Im thinking because its so new it should be ok mechanically. Its just a hard choice to make.
Yeah that’s a long way! FWIW, I just paid $1k to ship my SS from Salt Lake to Detroit. Driving it would have doubled the miles on it (1880) so I opted to ship. Enclosed two-car trailer and it shared the ride with a 300k Ferrari! Those guys were very careful, even with my lowly Camaro!

Where is the car you’re looking at?
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 PM   #7
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
How bout this, been sitting on the lot for some time.
https://www.pierrechevrolet.com/Vehi...-WA/3390962903
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Frost SS, that 2019 is a better deal for you and you can drive it home! Don’t know if you like the color but that new 2019 1LE is better for you and much closer to California!
Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
If you already have contact with them, have the sales person send you a lot of pics, especially of the engine bay. Check for Modifications, or signs of them. As you can often read on this forum, people will modify a car and then put it back to stock for trade in. Your concern, especially in Cal. is will it pass emissions and also is there a tune or something that might void the warranty.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I always question why an almost new car is being sold. It's particularly concerning when the car is high performance.

I would have to see it in person and still I would be wary. And I would have it shipped only in an enclosed trailer.

Given all that, I would order exactly the car I want from the factory, from a local dealer, who would then be my go-to for warranty service.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #11
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I bought mine off a forum member, Sometimes that helps with peace of mind......
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
Frost_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Yeah that’s a long way! FWIW, I just paid $1k to ship my SS from Salt Lake to Detroit. Driving it would have doubled the miles on it (1880) so I opted to ship. Enclosed two-car trailer and it shared the ride with a 300k Ferrari! Those guys were very careful, even with my lowly Camaro!

Where is the car you’re looking at?
Brentwood Tenesse. I live in SoCal so super far away. I really want either satin gray metallic or black. Leaning towards the satin gray. In my area I've had very little luck so have expanded the search.

Last edited by Frost_SS; 01-09-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #13
Frost_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
How bout this, been sitting on the lot for some time.
https://www.pierrechevrolet.com/Vehi...-WA/3390962903

That is a great deal! Just not the color I'm after.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Well you have a few choices:

Fly out to see it yourself. When you consider you’re spending 36k for something what’s a $500 rt plane ticket? Gotta be some cheap flights on SW or Spirit or someone.

Find a buyer’s agent there to go look at it and evaluate it, and pay them $1-200 or so? Third party like a mechanic who knows what to look for.

Find someone on this forum whose willing to go look for obvious stuff. Put it on a hoist and look underneath, etc.

Good thing is, it’s still under B to B so really the only thing you’re looking for is damage, mods, and overall condition. Sounds like it’s priced right.

Be careful about shipping. Get enclosed if you can afford it. They’ll be more careful than the cattle car bulk shippers who’ll throw it on and don’t GaS if it gets scratched. Plus 1000+ miles on an open trailer is more chance for weather and road debris damage.

Good luck!
This really is a great post, and solid advice. Covers your options very well. I would fly out or have a 3rd party mechanic check it out.