#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #183
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
And anything above $80,000 is simply priced out of range for 95% of the Camaro buyers. Of the 5% left, only 20% track their cars. 20% of 5% is the demographic for an LT5-powered Track Camaro. Of that 20% of 5% of Camaro buyers, less than 50% may even opt for the Z/28, as the Corvette Grand Sport or Corvette Z06 is a better choice for the other 50%.

My point is, there’s little to no market for an $80,000 Track-rat Camaro.
700-800hp Dodge Demons, and GT500s soon to come out say otherwise, especially considering the dealer markups that they were getting. I agree it's a limited market, which is why an LT5 Camaro should be a limited and numbered car (aka Demon).

It would be better as more focused straight line car with great handling, than an exceptional handling car that is slower than the GT500 or Hellcat Redeye.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #184
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
The issue that I see always comes back around to expectations. In the late 60's GM didnt have to do a lot outside of design an engine and then produce it. That is not the case in 2018. For GM to design, certify, validate, and then produce an engine it takes a lot of time and money. Everyone loves our track warranty right? Well as a business you are only gonna do that on a large scale after so much testing and evaluation concludes you can with an appropriate risk of repair. If you really like the rare engine model say goodbye to the very broad stroke track day warranty. This is why you won't see small run rate engines in these cars. The juice simply isn't worth the squeeze and as an enthusiast I dont want to see the track warranty go away. I'll gladly take an LT5 any day as long as GM allows me to flog it mercilessly out on a race track in stock form and cover it. I also know that for them to do that means I will not have as many options and will not have as many "updates and enhancements" to current options...a price I will gladly pay for the warranty coverage.
I have to agree with his thinking here. While a LT5 powered Camaro is a great dream, I have to ask. Is there any evidence that a LT5 Camaro is on the way in the next few years (or Z/28 in any configuration?)? Has there been any sightings of test mules lately with high output engines?
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #185
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I have to agree with his thinking here. While a LT5 powered Camaro is a great dream, I have to ask. Is there any evidence that a LT5 Camaro is on the way in the next few years (or Z/28 in any configuration?)? Has there been any sightings of test mules lately with high output engines?
There was the one mule that had CCB on it, but other than that no sightings unless they are out testing in plain sight.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an LT5 Camaro. I think that the LT5 will remain a Corvette exclusive much like the LS9 was only used in the ZR-1 Especially if the whole vette line up goes mid engine, then I see the LT5 as the grand send off to the Corvette
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #186
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
There was the one mule that had CCB on it, but other than that no sightings unless they are out testing in plain sight.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an LT5 Camaro. I think that the LT5 will remain a Corvette exclusive much like the LS9 was only used in the ZR-1 Especially if the whole vette line up goes mid engine, then I see the LT5 as the grand send off to the Corvette
Possibly.

The 5th gen ZL1 got a smaller blower LS9 = LSA while the Z/28 got the Z06 LS7...it's almost reverse with the 6th gen where the ZL1 has the Z06 engine and the Z/28 (if we get one) gets???
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #187
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Possibly.

The 5th gen ZL1 got a smaller blower LS9 = LSA while the Z/28 got the Z06 LS7...it's almost reverse with the 6th gen where the ZL1 has the Z06 engine and the Z/28 (if we get one) gets???
The Z/28 did not get the LS7 until the Corvette was no longer using it.

There was more differences in the LS9 and LSA than just the blower. IIRC the LS9 had forged titanium rods, forged pistons

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/...-2l-superchar/
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 08-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #188
NW-99SS

Quote:
The Z/28 did not get the LS7 until the Corvette was no longer using it.

There was more differences in the LS9 and LSA than just the blower. IIRC the LS9 had forged titanium rods, forged pistons

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/...-2l-superchar/
I'm well aware - just keeping it simple without nitpicking every part difference.

The GM Execs also confirmed the Camaro Team was allowed full access to GM's arsenal of powertrains for the 6th gen - this is why there was no longer a reduction in advertised HP numbers for the 6th gen Camaro's with the same powertrain as the Corvette's.

From Al Oppenheiser:

Can you tell us anything about the next performance variant, now that you’ve capped the lineup with the ZL1 1LE?

'Who said we capped the line? We did for the moment. We surprised people with a V-6 1LE; it was actually something that a lot of people asked us about in the fifth gen. When we came out with the sixth gen and the SS 1LE, they were asking, “Why didn’t you do a 1LE?” Well, here it is. We’re looking at performance drag packs for the street, we’re looking at any available horsepower that will fit in the car, trying to stay relevant and on top. That’s a very vague way of saying we’re still playing. There’s a lot of bandwidth to play in this segment.'
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #189
shaffe

Im not saying it's not possible. All I am saying is I don't see the LT5 appearing in the 6th gen, and if it does I don't think it will be called a Z/28. That is just going by the past trends.

LT5 From the C4 never made it into the 3rd gen cars,
LS6 From the C5 never made it into the 4th gen cars,
LS9 From the C6 engine never made it into the 5th gen cars. Now the LS7 did AFTER Corvette was done with it. And as discussed LSA was different enough and never used in a Corvette only the CTS-V and ZL1

LT5 Which is the current top Corvette engine- Remains to be seen. History says it won't make it into the 6th gen
Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #190
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I'm well aware - just keeping it simple without nitpicking every part difference.

The GM Execs also confirmed the Camaro Team was allowed full access to GM's arsenal of powertrains for the 6th gen - this is why there was no longer a reduction in advertised HP numbers for the 6th gen Camaro's with the same powertrain as the Corvette's.

From Al Oppenheiser:

Can you tell us anything about the next performance variant, now that you’ve capped the lineup with the ZL1 1LE?

'Who said we capped the line? We did for the moment. We surprised people with a V-6 1LE; it was actually something that a lot of people asked us about in the fifth gen. When we came out with the sixth gen and the SS 1LE, they were asking, “Why didn’t you do a 1LE?” Well, here it is. We’re looking at performance drag packs for the street, we’re looking at any available horsepower that will fit in the car, trying to stay relevant and on top. That’s a very vague way of saying we’re still playing. There’s a lot of bandwidth to play in this segment.'
Where did GM confirm this?

Al O is just saying they will not limit what cars they build, like the V6 answer turbo 4 1LEs.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:34 AM   #191
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
While none of us have a crystal ball I would predict the LT5 to make it into the 6th gen. For all the reasons I listed, GM is not a huge fan of short run engines. Since the LT5 already has been invested in the real question is how much do you spread those costs out; I think the decision is A LOT.

All the examples listed above were back in the pre-bailout years where GM did an amazingly good job at turning the Camaro into "the poor man's Corvette" or "the Corvette's baby brother". That does not appear to be the strategy at all right now with team Camaro doing everything they can to go toe to toe with "big brother". Put that together with Tadge stating that basically, aside from a little clutch capacity increase, the Z06 powertrain didnt need any additional modifications to withstand the LT5.

I think it's inevitable that we see it in a Camaro. Who knows what they will call it and what the supporting parts will be but I'm thinking it'll happen.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #192
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
While none of us have a crystal ball I would predict the LT5 to make it into the 6th gen. For all the reasons I listed, GM is not a huge fan of short run engines. Since the LT5 already has been invested in the real question is how much do you spread those costs out; I think the decision is A LOT.

All the examples listed above were back in the pre-bailout years where GM did an amazingly good job at turning the Camaro into "the poor man's Corvette" or "the Corvette's baby brother". That does not appear to be the strategy at all right now with team Camaro doing everything they can to go toe to toe with "big brother". Put that together with Tadge stating that basically, aside from a little clutch capacity increase, the Z06 powertrain didnt need any additional modifications to withstand the LT5.

I think it's inevitable that we see it in a Camaro. Who knows what they will call it and what the supporting parts will be but I'm thinking it'll happen.
Agreed which is what I was trying to point out. The fact that the ZL1 gets the full LT4 treatment alongside current Z06s is enough to tell you that the Camaro team no longer has to be under-powered compared to the Corvette team.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #193
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Where did GM confirm this?

Al O is just saying they will not limit what cars they build, like the V6 answer turbo 4 1LEs.
Quote:
From Al Oppenheiser:

Please reread the bold parts - this is a direct answer from Al O to the question of the ZL1 1LE being the top dog Camaro.

As mentioned above, the Camaro has never received the same power as the Corvette until the 6th gen. LT4 is proof of that, so is Al's statement above - "we're looking at any available horsepower that will fit in the car"

There is more room in the 6th gen engine bay than the C7...just saying.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #194
shaffe

Anything is possible, I just don't see it happening. Would love to be wrong, just don't see it happening
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #195
NW-99SS

Quote:
Anything is possible, I just don't see it happening. Would love to be wrong, just don't see it happening
I choose hopeful over doubtful
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #196
shaffe

Quote:
I choose hopeful over doubtful
I just set low expectations so I am rarely disappointed haha!