Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-16-2020, 03:47 AM   #29
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Just a quick question: what’s the factory alignment specs?
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #30
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
-2.4 is more street than track and toe will eat tires, not camber.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Just a quick question: what’s the factory alignment specs?
About 1.2 to 1.4 all around.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:06 AM   #32
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
My experience with the track alignment is similar to the OP's, except I got more life out of my factory tires than most people, thanks to being unable to actually push the car in the SF Bay area's constipated traffic. I got a track alignment at 14000 miles, when all four tires appeared to be wearing evenly from edge to edge, but the outside edges on the front tires SEEMED to be wearing faster than the rest of the tire (I later read that the tread on the outer shoulder is shallower and it only APPEARS to wear faster). I requested the tech at a very reputable tire shop here to perform the track alignment with the camber set to -2.0* and 0.00 toe for the front tires. By 20000 miles the inside of the front tires were down to the steel cords but the rest of the tire looked the same as it did 6000 miles ago. Hard lesson learned right there that if you have a track alignment and you don't drive aggressively enough, all you're doing is chewing up that inside shoulder. Actual front toe in my case turned out to be 0.00 on the right side and 0.11* in on the left side but that's still within the advise the tech gave that if you're going to run aggressive negative camber in the front you counter that with a tiny bit of toe in.

My alignment after new tires is -1.5* camber and 0.06* toe in as recommended by the the shop. They also recommended that I run 36-38 PSI in the front tires as there was still a lot of tread left in the center on my old tires.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #33
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
About 1.2 to 1.4 all around.
Thank you!
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #34
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
By 20000 miles the inside of the front tires were down to the steel cords but the rest of the tire looked the same as it did 6000 miles ago.

Wow, 20k miles on the ss 1le stock tires! That's impressive. I think there might be a relationship between tire width + camber and wear. My 1 series bmw 225 width front tires wore great with 2 degrees of camber and of lot of daily driving. If my math is right 2 degrees across 225mm lifts ~= 8mm, while the 295mm on the front Camaro tires would be ~10.5mm.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
My experience with the track alignment is similar to the OP's, except I got more life out of my factory tires than most people, thanks to being unable to actually push the car in the SF Bay area's constipated traffic. I got a track alignment at 14000 miles, when all four tires appeared to be wearing evenly from edge to edge, but the outside edges on the front tires SEEMED to be wearing faster than the rest of the tire (I later read that the tread on the outer shoulder is shallower and it only APPEARS to wear faster). I requested the tech at a very reputable tire shop here to perform the track alignment with the camber set to -2.0* and 0.00 toe for the front tires. By 20000 miles the inside of the front tires were down to the steel cords but the rest of the tire looked the same as it did 6000 miles ago. Hard lesson learned right there that if you have a track alignment and you don't drive aggressively enough, all you're doing is chewing up that inside shoulder. Actual front toe in my case turned out to be 0.00 on the right side and 0.11* in on the left side but that's still within the advise the tech gave that if you're going to run aggressive negative camber in the front you counter that with a tiny bit of toe in.

My alignment after new tires is -1.5* camber and 0.06* toe in as recommended by the the shop. They also recommended that I run 36-38 PSI in the front tires as there was still a lot of tread left in the center on my old tires.
If they told you to run 36 - 38 PSI, I would RUN. At that PSI, when they get heated up, you would be at like 42- 45 PSI, WAY TOO much, it will cause the car to feel a bit unstable.

The recommended tire pressure is 32 psi cold. Anything above 36ish HOT, and you start to lose that planted feel.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #36
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
but the outside edges on the front tires SEEMED to be wearing faster than the rest of the tire (I later read that the tread on the outer shoulder is shallower and it only APPEARS to wear faster).
Yes, the outside 1/3rd of the tire seemed to wear faster, But it didn't. And the tread isn't any thinner on the outside 1/3rd either. What you are looking at is the tread groove pattern, and yes, that is shallower than the inner 2/3rds of the tire. But if you measure the tread depth at the holes in the outer portion of the tire, you will find that the tread is indeed the same depth all the way across the tire. Remember, tread isn't the grooves you see in the tire, it is the usable rubber laid on the carcass of the tire. Racing slicks have tread too even though they don't generally have grooves in the tread.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track

Last edited by Scargoes; 02-20-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: speeling
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #37
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
If they told you to run 36 - 38 PSI, I would RUN. At that PSI, when they get heated up, you would be at like 42- 45 PSI, WAY TOO much, it will cause the car to feel a bit unstable.

The recommended tire pressure is 32 psi cold. Anything above 36ish HOT, and you start to lose that planted feel.
I run my fronts way over inflated on the street to combat inside edge wear. High 40s cold, I've seen 50 hot before and it's not unstable. It's not optimal grip either but not unstable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Yes, the outside 1/3rd of the tire seemed to wear faster, But it didn't. And the tread isn't any thinner on the outside 1/3rd either. What you are looking at is the tread groove pattern, and yes, that is shallower than the inner 2/3rds of the tire. But if you measure the tread depth at the holes in the outer portion of the tire, you will find that the tread is indeed the same depth all the way across the tire. Remember, tread isn't the grooves you see in the tire, it is the usable rubber laid on the carcass of the tire. Racing slicks have tread too even though they don't generally have grooves in the tread.
No, tread is exactly that, tread and rubber is rubber. You understand the tire but tread is literally the grooved part.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:51 AM   #38
jeep_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
No, tread is exactly that, tread and rubber is rubber. You understand the tire but tread is literally the grooved part.
^This. The outer shoulder has shallower tread depth (grooves, if you will) for the tire to provide consistent cornering grip as it wears.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #39
jeep_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

OK, so I checked again with a digital tire pressure gauge in the garage this time and it was 35 PSI. Seems like the TPMS read ~1 PSI higher. I suppose 800 miles isn't enough to get a read on tire wear, but the tire looks even and unremarkable at this time.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #40
Scargoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
No, the grooves are called the tread pattern. It is not the only thing that makes up the tread. If tread was only the grooved portion then slicks would have no tread. Tread it the rubber portion of the tire that is applied to the carcass and designed to be contact with the road surface. As you drive on the tire, the tread is worn away, racing slick or DOT legal tire.
In the case of the SC3, why would there be tread depth holes deeper than the tread pattern on the outside edge of the tire if the tire is worn out when those grooves are gone?

Old 02-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #41
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
No, a slick doesn't have tread, exactly why it's called a slick...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #42
Scargoes

If a slick doesn't have tread, why does it come with tread depth holes?