Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
What would it take?

To add this??
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
What are we looking at?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
It looks like it would take a trip down to the dealership. Pull up a stool to the parts counter...and show the guy the pic then mull over the exploded diagrams of ZL1 1LE... assuming that we're even looking bat a gen6 Camaro. Ask in the ZL1 section for an under car pic.

Order the part and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #5
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
That’s not a ZL1 or a ZL1 1LE, it’s just an SS.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #6
vaspen

Drives: 2017 l4 blue 6speed
Goto a dealership and look under one with a heavy duty cooling package
vaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
That comes with HD cooling on LS/LT cars and standard on SS and ZL1
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Very nice to know it comes with the HD package!! That means it should be an easy swap. GM won't give data numbers, but these 4 vents were specifically designed to create a low pressure vacuum that pulls heat out under and away from the engine bay.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 04-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
yep, that's the HD cooling package.. I would think just swap the piece out. I believe it is the oil cooler that sits right above it. I don't think it was specifically created to just to pull heat from the engine bay, it was created to pull air to cool the oil cooler. However it could be used to help pull heat also. Most of the heat is going to exhaust thru the back of the engine hood and also under the engine where the plastic stops and the oil filter and trans are visible. At interstate speeds, those vents you want to add are to far forward in front of the engine to significantly affect engine heat. It more or less helps more air flow thru the lower part of the grill to cool the oil cooler. Also to mention you don't want engine heat escaping thru the oil cooler. It might also be the transmission cooler. cant recall which one, but the other is the auxiliary coolers, which also have vents pulling thru the wheel well. If anything you are opening up another door for air flow which lowers the air pressure in the bay and the amount of air flow directed at the engine itself. I'm sure when you installed the SEMA grille you can see how the direction of air flow is blocked and guided in specific ways to best cool what is in its way. by opening another door, you can offset that flow. Just to keep in mind.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Good points StPeteHyper2.0. I had not considered this could cause harm, and I'm not sure it would or wouldn't. What I do know is Camaro lead developing engineer Aaron link was quoted as saying "The lip on the leading edge of the transmission cooler opening, causes a low-pressure area to help draw air through the vents." Now I could only assume that means air out, not in. A vacuum created by the low pressure. Also, I vaguely remember watching a 1LE in the wind tunnel on Super cars, or How its built, can't recall, but they smoke streamed across the grill and it was escaping out those vents among other areas, if my memory serves me correctly. Hum..Maybe I better think about this a bit more. Thanks for that post!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 04-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Thinking about it, if you allow air to escape thru the bottom too early it may increase the engine bay temps slightly. Heat rises and most of it is on the turbo side. I think you would be disrupting the air flow to the bottom side of the engine if the air gets vacuumed out thru the vents. However without a transmission cooler in place and just free vents, air could get sucked into the bay thru the vents and actually help cool the underside of the engine. Hard to say which way the air may flow and it may be different pending how fast you go.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
That's the transmission cooler, the oil cooler is a tiny liquid to liquid unit. I believe it would flow from the the engine side out as that would be high to low pressure.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
rickwelch69

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Turbo 4
I had thought briefly about getting that belly pan and laying an intercooler above the vents, since they were designed to pull air through the auxilary coolers...............Not too sure how good it would work.....