Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
joejenie

Drives: Ford Raptor
Whatever you do, don't do the Toyo's or the Nitto NT01. They are horrible on the Camaro. I have a ZL1 1LE and I currently have Nittos on it and can't wait to wear them out. They last longer than the 3Rs that came on the car, but they are horribly loud on the street and 4 seconds a lap slower on the track. Next try for me will be the 3s that come on the stock SS 1LE. Hoping they are better on the track and I'm sure they will last longer than the 3Rs. My car is mainly a track toy, so daily driving isn't an issue. If it was, I would go to 4S and forget it. They last a long time and are the best tire out there.

The other issue is the Nittos don't have a tough enough sidewall for the weight of these cars. It wanders on hard breaking. Quite frightening at first. The Good Years were designed for this heavy car. I would personally stick with them unless you don't track at all.
joejenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
I currently have NT05 all around from the previous owner. The rears look like they are close to being done, maybe another summer, the fronts have probably another two-three seasons. This is mainly a street car, would there be any issues of running NT555 G2s in the rear only until the fronts wear out? I'd like to remove the NT05 all around due to the noise, but the fronts still have meat left.

Last edited by Vaska; 03-18-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #17
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
The Nitto's do everything well or at worse decent, but excel at nothing.
if i was considering nittos, this single statement would immediately deter my purchase.

do all of you guys enjoy buying (and paying a premium for) high performance items and then handicapping them? buying dyson vacuums to operate on low voltage? buying powerful, expensive smart phones only to text, surf the web and post to social media? buying nice welders so you can save money by using junk wire & other parts?

i guess i never understood the point of having a car that performs if one is going to limit its ability through the use of improper tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejenie View Post
The other issue is the Nittos don't have a tough enough sidewall for the weight of these cars. It wanders on hard breaking. Quite frightening at first. The Good Years were designed for this heavy car. I would personally stick with them unless you don't track at all.
i can vouch that the goodyear sc3 sidewall is serious. i put a set of 275/40/17 mt et street r tires on the back of my 1LE, still retaining radial tires in the front and rear both. those soft sidewall rear tires will fight with the stiff fronts like a bias ply/radial combo. i never realized how much those goodyears don't give until i put a softer tire on it. fwiw i ordered all 4 drag wheels but only 2 came in so far, thought i would try it for s&g.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #18
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I could vouch for the SC3 sidewall, it was apparent when I put on Conti ExtremeContact Sport's even with their plus technology sidewall stiffener these things roll over pretty easy and make the front end push hard in turns. I don't like them. Been experimenting with higher pressures up front.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #19
Vaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post

i guess i never understood the point of having a car that performs if one is going to limit its ability through the use of improper tires.
That's like saying why buy a ZR1 or SS or SS 1LE if you'll never track it. Hell why buy performance cars at all that you'll keep on the street.

Majority of 1LE owners never take their cars to the race track for various reasons and don't necessary need super expensive tires that will give them a quarter second edge to the next light. At that point cost vs benefit becomes a huge factor and saving money towards other things besides the best tires makes sense.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post

No canyon runs or events yet, but I’ve heard they (the Goodyears) can develop that “greasy” feel over the duration of longer events/runs.
Yes, also with a burnout in the 1/4 Instant grease. Just lightly spin the water off. These tires work much better on a road track which is why they are on a Camaro. I was faster there on Nittos. And they do look good! I am putting my MRR 1LE replicas on my LT1. The Nittos to me for the reasons the op stated is a better tire on the street. But if you Track go with the GYs or better.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #21
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
That's like saying why buy a ZR1 or SS or SS 1LE if you'll never track it. Hell why buy performance cars at all that you'll keep on the street.

Majority of 1LE owners never take their cars to the race track for various reasons and don't necessary need super expensive tires that will give them a quarter second edge to the next light. At that point cost vs benefit becomes a huge factor and saving money towards other things besides the best tires makes sense.
1) putting junk tires on a car is not the same thing as not racing it on a track. at the very least, the car not getting laps on it is still capable, where as junk tire car is just that...an awesome machine knocked down a few pegs bc its on junk tires.

2) the factory goodyears are a far cry from "super expensive" and frequently labeled as one of the best -budget friendly- street tires available for the car.

3) if one is frequently weighing cost vs benefit on a 1LE camaro, they bought the wrong car.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #22
Vaska

Quote:
1) putting junk tires on a car is not the same thing as not racing it on a track. at the very least, the car not getting laps on it is still capable, where as junk tire car is just that...an awesome machine knocked down a few pegs bc its on junk tires.
I wouldn't consider Nittos junk tires, but ok.

Quote:
2) the factory goodyears are a far cry from "super expensive" and frequently labeled as one of the best -budget friendly- street tires available for the car.
That wear very fast and require replacement frequently.

Quote:
3) if one is frequently weighing cost vs benefit on a 1LE camaro, they bought the wrong car.
It's a chevy man, get over yourself. I don't need to waste hundreds if not thousands of dollars to enjoy this car on the street. Off track I put cost, grip, wear and noise all into consideration. By your logic we should all buy Cup2s to get the most out of the majestic 1 EL E
Old 03-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #23
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
It's a chevy man, get over yourself. I don't need to waste hundreds if not thousands of dollars to enjoy this car on the street. Off track I put cost, grip, wear and noise all into consideration. By your logic we should all buy Cup2s to get the most out of the majestic 1 EL E
i guess it's easy for me to understand because i don't buy things i won't use. if simply replacing the oem wear items with oem replacements is such a tax, am i really that wrong?
Old 03-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #24
Vaska

Quote:
i guess it's easy for me to understand because i don't buy things i won't use. if simply replacing the oem wear items with oem replacements is such a tax, am i really that wrong?
Yes. Yes you are.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #25
Mason.1le

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
I am purchasing a set of G2s tomorrow! I am in the same boat as you, its my daily and im not spending $1800+ for PS4s to mainly daily. The G2 is just better bang for the buck which is fine with me if I have to sacrifice some performance. Eventually I will get a second set of track wheels anyway.
Mason.1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #26
Mason.1le

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
It was time for some new rubber...

I had multiple choices to pick from, but ultimately decided to go with the Nitto NT555 G2.

Front: 285/30/20
Rear: 305/30/20

While I loved the Goodyear Eagle F1’s for HPDE, I needed a tire with a bit of a more harder compound for daily driving.

While I know I’m sacrificing grip with the Nitto’s, it’s a comprise that I’m willing to make for a daily driver.

The F1’s grip was outstanding. HPDE, and daily driving. I managed about 13k from the tires before replacement.
Did you get an alignment when you put the tires on?
Mason.1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #27
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
It's too bad Tirerack doesn't sell Nitto tires, I'd love to see a comparison between the top Ultra High Performance Summer tires. Although, the NT555G2 came out in 2015. Lots more tire choices with better engineering have come out since then.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote