Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
Camaro SS 1LE Nitto tires

It was time for some new rubber...

I had multiple choices to pick from, but ultimately decided to go with the Nitto NT555 G2.

Front: 285/30/20
Rear: 305/30/20

While I loved the Goodyear Eagle F1’s for HPDE, I needed a tire with a bit of a more harder compound for daily driving.

While I know I’m sacrificing grip with the Nitto’s, it’s a comprise that I’m willing to make for a daily driver.

The F1’s grip was outstanding. HPDE, and daily driving. I managed about 13k from the tires before replacement.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tyestick; 01-26-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Tyestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
They look good , for a daily how do they compare in the rain/hydroplaning as that’s my main fear with the stock tires on my 1le.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
They look good , for a daily how do they compare in the rain/hydroplaning as that’s my main fear with the stock tires on my 1le.

I have a set of these G2's and I put about 12K Miles or more and they are pretty good shape even after 1/2 track days. I still use them from daily driving and I havent had any issues in the rain yet. I'm ordering me a set of new wheels and planning on getting the same set only in 285s and 305s

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
i'm surprised you can grip on the stock F1's, I have no traction with them.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
striker1le

Drives: '17 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
The F1s once warmed up(which takes a while), they grip really well.
striker1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
striker1le

OP, how are you managing the greasy feel with the G2. I'm currently running these and after 15 mins of driving in the canyons, I feel there is barely any traction. They don't seem to take the heat well.
Any reason you chose the G2 over the PS4S for daily driving ? Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Love mine! Work great after going hard two days at Road America, never felt greasy or like I lost traction.
Are you running at max pressure in them?
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
OP, how are you managing the greasy feel with the G2. I'm currently running these and after 15 mins of driving in the canyons, I feel there is barely any traction. They don't seem to take the heat well.
To be honest I just chose the G2 because I heard other people talk about them. At the time I needed to replace my stock tires because they cracked on me after sitting outside when I had the car covered and I had a quick 1K to spend on tires. They a good budget tire. So far I tracked them and they grip pretty well they just now starting to get that greasy feel you talking about after racking the miles up. I was just thinking as a stock setup 245f/275r they run pretty good let me see how a wider tire perform. If not, I will try the NT01 and then move up to the cream of the crop PS4S.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
Tyestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
Thanks. I think they look great as well.

Being in SoCal, I haven’t experienced any rain yet. Give it a month or so, and I should be able to give a rain report.

I’ve read that they're actually quite capable in the rain. Better than the Goodyear F1’s anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
Your traction/grip issues, was that before or after your extensive modification list?

With my car 100% stock, once warmed up, the F1’s grip fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
No canyon runs or events yet, but I’ve heard they can develop that “greasy” feel over the duration of longer events/runs.

I chose the G2 over the PS4S due to the price difference. When all said and done, the PS4S would have ran me an additional $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronSlusa View Post
Are you running at max pressure in them?
Stock pressures for now, but may drop them a bit for events.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
No canyon runs or events yet, but I’ve heard they can develop that “greasy” feel over the duration of longer events/runs.

I chose the G2 over the PS4S due to the price difference. When all said and done, the PS4S would have ran me an additional $500.

My ZL1 came installed with the G2 from the previous owner so I have no experience with other tires in the Z. My 5th gen SS 1LE had F1 Supercar 2 and the street traction was appalling but the canyon carving was fantastic. And I later ran on PS4S and the street traction was fantastic, the canyon carving was great falling just a little behind the F1 in terms of grip and feel.

With the ZL1, I want to change tires now and I'm in a dilemma choosing between the PS4S and the F1s. Do you think I should go with the F1s and take a hit on street traction ? Sorry for deviating the topic but would like some input on this. Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Never ran 555 G2's, but traditional 555's are excellent street tires for Camaro owners, meaning people who aren't rich. PS4S would be nice but I'm not paying $1,600+ for a set of tires that may get me 25K miles. The Nitto's should get you 30K+ miles. The Nitto's do everything well or at worse decent, but excel at nothing. They are a very good all-around street tire. Just don't expect them to be DR's or R-compounds. They are neither, but they will last you 3-4x's longer, cost less money, and be 3x's better in the rain and cold. Many will say things like, "Nitto 555's are POS because they won't hook up my 650 WHP Terminator." Well no chit, but few tires that aren't warmed up DR's in ideal conditions will plant 650 WHP on the street. I've probably ran more sets of Nitto 555's than any other tire. I keep going back to them and will likely go with some 555G2's when the time comes to replace my tires on my DD SS 1LE.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Never ran 555 G2's, but traditional 555's are excellent street tires for Camaro owners, meaning people who aren't rich. PS4S would be nice but I'm not paying $1,600+ for a set of tires that may get me 25K miles. The Nitto's should get you 30K+ miles. The Nitto's do everything well or at worse decent, but excel at nothing. They are a very good all-around street tire. Just don't expect them to be DR's or R-compounds. They are neither, but they will last you 3-4x's longer, cost less money, and be 3x's better in the rain and cold. Many will say things like, "Nitto 555's are POS because they won't hook up my 650 WHP Terminator." Well no chit, but few tires that aren't warmed up DR's in ideal conditions will plant 650 WHP on the street. I've probably ran more sets of Nitto 555's than any other tire. I keep going back to them and will likely go with some 555G2's when the time comes to replace my tires on my DD SS 1LE.
I agree with pretty much everything here, but what's with the rich comment? There's lot of people who come from Porsches and BMWs and other more expensive brands to the Camaro. Camaro is for everyone.

Why people nut over the 555 is a cause for concern. They're just an ultra high performance summer tire.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
I agree with pretty much everything here, but what's with the rich comment? There's lot of people who come from Porsches and BMWs and other more expensive brands to the Camaro. Camaro is for everyone.

Why people nut over the 555 is a cause for concern. They're just an ultra high performance summer tire.
If you can afford Porsches, McLarens, Ferraris, Lambo's or even new Z06's or ZR1's you're unlikely to buy 555's for them. I can't afford new versions of these cars because I'm not rich, but I can afford a new Camaro because I make a decent living. I can't in good conscience spend money on good performing, but overpriced and relitively fast wearing tires to use on a street car. They're likely even made here in Columbia (very many Michelins are) and I still won't pony up for them. Most people with deep pockets will buy high-end tires while talking down cheaper alternative. Kind of like most rich people will talk down a Camaro or Mustang, or American cars in general.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #14
Tyestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
They are a very good all-around street tire. Just don't expect them to be DR's or R-compounds. They are neither, but they will last you 3-4x's longer, cost less money, and be 3x's better in the rain and cold. Many will say things like, "Nitto 555's are POS because they won't hook up my 650 WHP Terminator." Well no chit, but few tires that aren't warmed up DR's in ideal conditions will plant 650 WHP on the street. I've probably ran more sets of Nitto 555's than any other tire. I keep going back to them and will likely go with some 555G2's when the time comes to replace my tires on my DD SS 1LE.
+1.

I tried to watch some YouTube videos of people reviewing the G2’s, but the reviews were lacking in many areas.

Like you stated, it’s a great (all-around) tire, which is what I wanted.

If I owned a second pair of wheels, I’d buy some dedicated track rubber. Maybe some Toyo R888R’s or something.

As of right now, for my daily driver, I’m perfectly happy with the G2’s.