Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't the reason for the weird tire wear.

I put my car on a rack almost immediately just to check things out and the factory alignment was terrible. I switched the plates to "track" and adjusted toe when the car had under 50 miles. I got 7 heat cycles out of the fronts (7 track sessions).

There is something else at play here. Perhaps some sort of dynamic toe change under braking?? Temps looked great across the tire, yet they still corded on the inside. With that said, the Viper ACR get's a day out of the fronts, so this may not be unheard of.
Mr. Wyndham's ZLE has special parts to control dynamic toe change, but even in OEM mode, dynamic toe change is well controlled.

Lap times have a lot to do with tire wear. At VIR you can run a 2:07 on the full course and get good brake and tire life out of most capable cars. Drop that down to a 2:02 and life is almost cut in half. Go under 2 minutes and watch brake pads and tires evaporate. Just how fast are you running and where?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Mr. Wyndham's ZLE has special parts to control dynamic toe change, but even in OEM mode, dynamic toe change is well controlled.

Lap times have a lot to do with tire wear. At VIR you can run a 2:07 on the full course and get good brake and tire life out of most capable cars. Drop that down to a 2:02 and life is almost cut in half. Go under 2 minutes and watch brake pads and tires evaporate. Just how fast are you running and where?
as usual, Pete is right!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:

What special parts does he have? I guess that throws my theory out the window...

Understood lap times have a lot to do with wear items. To add another kink to this mystery, another 1LE owner locally here got about the same 7-9 heat cycles out of his front tires running an average of 8 seconds a lap slower.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
We played around with some solid-material bushing inserts ("snubbers") in the radius rod arms.

This coming NCM Track Day/Camaro Fest should be revealing...I'm up to about 7-8 heat cycles.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #19
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
So do we know how toe is affected by simply switching from Track to Street (and vice versa)?

Lets assume toe is 0 in track, moving it to street will make it become...?

I believe the hot setup is to set toe based on which mode you use most, so for those of us who mostly track their ZL1 1LE, set the toe to -.05 when in track mode. I just want to know if moving it back to street does more harm than just leaving it in track for the little street driving I do (to and from various tracks!)
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaro View Post
So do we know how toe is affected by simply switching from Track to Street (and vice versa)?

Lets assume toe is 0 in track, moving it to street will make it become...
Moving from .10 toe OUT in track camber, when moved to street camber toe went to .53 toe IN. Unfortunately GM didn’t find the “sliver bullet” where you can switch between two camber setting while making toe values acceptable on both. You have to decide between the two.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Moving from .10 toe OUT in track camber, when moved to street camber toe went to .53 toe IN. Unfortunately GM didn’t find the “sliver bullet” where you can switch between two camber setting while making toe values acceptable on both. You have to decide between the two.
I assume that was total Toe?

If so, I saw similar results, if you review the documents I posted earlier...switching from street to track yielded about .22-.25º toe out at each wheel.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #22
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
If all you do is drive to and from tracks, you will be fine leaving it with track camber.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #23
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I got 3 track days and 1000 street miles out of my tires before the insides corded. I set the alignment each time back and forth and still corded the inside of the front tires. However I spot drilled my tires to check depth acrossed the tire before hitting the cords once the insides were toast..

Inside to outside depths 0/32, 2/32, 4/32, 2/32, 1/32

In all reality my outside edge was about to cord also and the only way to fix this is to run higher air pressures. I was running 36 hot. and normally started around 28ish cold.

I have a track day the next two weekend which will consisted of 3 track days. I plan to start 30 psi cold and shoot for 38 hot. we will see how that does
Below is my tire data from one 20min heat

2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:28 AM   #24
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
We played around with some solid-material bushing inserts ("snubbers") in the radius rod arms.

This coming NCM Track Day/Camaro Fest should be revealing...I'm up to about 7-8 heat cycles.
Mr.W, any tire/alignmnet feedback after your sessions at NCM?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
ZL1 1LE Alignment: Revelations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
I got 3 track days and 1000 street miles out of my tires before the insides corded. I set the alignment each time back and forth and still corded the inside of the front tires. However I spot drilled my tires to check depth acrossed the tire before hitting the cords once the insides were toast..

Inside to outside depths 0/32, 2/32, 4/32, 2/32, 1/32

In all reality my outside edge was about to cord also and the only way to fix this is to run higher air pressures. I was running 36 hot. and normally started around 28ish cold.

I have a track day the next two weekend which will consisted of 3 track days. I plan to start 30 psi cold and shoot for 38 hot. we will see how that does

Below is my tire data from one 20min heat

Goodyears start to loose grip at 39 hot in my experience. 37-38 is a good max target.

Sorry, just realized 1LE. (Edit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #26
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Great information on alignment settings. Does anyone have any data/input on how much the track setting affects lap times?
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #27
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
^^^This. And driving style. In my experience some drivers will be more comfortable late braking, opposed to genuine maximum speed around high speed turns. This will accelerate wear in the inside of the tire when running a lot of negative camber (if not fully utilizing the aggressive camber through the high load corners).
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #28
Johnkout1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1 LE
Guys, I jut purchased a 2019 ZL1 1LE for a track car.I track at least once a month. So my third track day doing HPDE ( i drive in advanced) I corded the inside fronts of the car. The first 2 track days were at Barber Motorsports day 1 and 2, then my second event was at Road Atlanta. So end of first day front tire was to the threads on inside.

So while at the track we talked about setting a little less camber. So at the alignment shop today my tech said there isn't any adjustment for front camber except street or track setting with the plates. Tires are going to be expensive at this rate.

So tell me is there any way of setting the camber just a little less aggressive for longer tire wear? Or does anyone know of any camber plates you can buy to fit this car so there is some room for Adjustment?
I think GM Made a great car but put us in a bad spot without being able to set your camber for longer tire life.

Thanks, John
Johnkout1 is offline   Reply With Quote