Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
iv done it. they literally announced the 2SS/1LE the day after I bought my 17 2SS instead of ordering a 1LE. you will never have the eLSD which im told makes a difference. You will be better off just to trade in for a 1le or just buy a used ZL1. After tires, wheels, brakes and suspension you still dont have a 1le and out maybe $6+k for used parts.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Majority of owners don't track their 1LEs, let alone Camaros. OP never mentioned anything of the sort. On the street in a Camaro cruise you'll never notice a difference and it's a huge waste of money. I'd still start with a stock 1LE and go from there instead of turning a regular SS into one. Probably easier to throw an auto in a 1LE.

I almost guarantee the OP won't go that route once he sees the costs of sourcing parts and labour to install all the components. He will have a "unique" auto 2SS 1LE that will be worthless on the used market, people want unmodified stock cars. Good luck though.
End use is irrelevant. Calling the 1LE brake kit a "cosmetic only" upgrade would be like installing an LT4 supercharger and calling it cosmetic only if the driver doesn't go over 50% throttle. Sure it's overkill and not fully utilized, but there's a difference between that and being purely cosmetic since the latter implies no performance benefit. I agree with you that the 6 piston calipers are overkill if not planning to track the car, but at the end of the day it's OP's car and completely up to them what they want to do with it and spend money on upgrading. I'm just giving my view on how to robustly and reasonably clone the 1LE under the assumption that it'll see track use.

It'd also be worse to throw an auto into a manual 1LE since it's a ton of electrical and hardware rework, pretty much the same as putting the eLSD in a car that didn't have it in the first place. IMO best options are buying the SS 1LE that comes with the auto from the factory or take the 2SS and add some components to get it part of the way there as outlined in the previous posts. Since OP specifically stated that they want to keep their 50th since it's unique, I'd assume they're at least exploring what it would take to make the changes outlined.

I wouldn't call it worthless upgrades, either. I'd expect a 2ss with all the appropriately done mods to sell for somewhere between the cost of a stock 2SS and a 2SS 1LE. Probably closer to the stock side of the spectrum, but since they're GM parts they don't seem to hurt private sale value as much as non-OE aftermarket parts would.

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 10-26-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Here is the thread with the details: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333. Basically, the stock SS went 2:08:50, the modified SS did 2:02, and the 1LE went 2:00.

With my driving skills, I'd personally take the 6+ second improvement over stock instead of trying to trade or sell/buy.
^ This, and the link provided as well.

Not sure you can truly duplicate even the handling of the 1le without buying one. Without a doubt, the 1le is a track beast. But you can make the standard SS better than it is factory stock. I've done some of the items on the link referenced, and can say i feel the difference in cornering and track.
Good luck with your choices and build!
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #18
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
I got my 2016 1ss with the intentions of using it to build my own track /street car , do i wish i waited for the 1le? sometimes but i like doing things my way and modifying the car to my liking, suspension , wheels/tires

but things like recaros i still want and elsd i will never be able to add or pdr
Old 10-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #19
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
No you do not have the Elsd and 3.73 gears and I am not sure if anyone has successfully added those a non 1LE car.
All V8 M6 have the 3.73 rear axle. Just not ELSD.

To the OP: your 2SS is an EXTREMELY capable track car.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #20
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Whoever said Wheels are cosmetic only at the beginning you're wrong. I came across a set of 1le wheels and tires with almost no miles on them and pulled the trigger on them. The VERY FIRST turn out of my parking spot I noticed how much better the car turns in now. They almost completely changed the dynamics of the car. I was shocked. It's not placebo affect because I wasn't expecting a change that big at all. I thought maybe just a little change in the way the car feels but it was a huge change.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #21
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Whoever said Wheels are cosmetic only at the beginning you're wrong. I came across a set of 1le wheels and tires with almost no miles on them and pulled the trigger on them. The VERY FIRST turn out of my parking spot I noticed how much better the car turns in now. They almost completely changed the dynamics of the car. I was shocked. It's not placebo affect because I wasn't expecting a change that big at all. I thought maybe just a little change in the way the car feels but it was a huge change.
This^

1LE, or in my case, ZL1 wheels and tires transform the car.

Regarding the 1LE / 2SS debate; if the 2ss 1LE were available when I bought my car, i would have gone that route, however, I prefer my modded 2SS to a 1ss 1LE. The added comfort and convenience features are very nice. I do miss the PDR, but can live without the elsd even though I track my car every chance I get. Sure, I may run a second or two quicker with elsd, but who really cares? There's always someone quicker anyway
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #22
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
I'd say wheels and 6-piston brembos are cosmetic anyway as well.

In anycase, from the sticky:
Better brakes are cosmetic? Forged vs cast wheels are cosmetic? I don’t think so.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #23
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
The wheels and tires provide the majority of the performance increase.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I’ve got a oem 1LE spoiler I can sell ya for say 150+S&H. I just moved to drake muscles wicker bill
ThePeoplesCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #25
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup zzp bbk is the best thing i have done to my car well see how these new tires are next weekend suspension parts also helped alot since im no magride non 1le ss
Old 06-17-2023, 04:38 PM   #26
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Here is the thread with the details: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333. Basically, the stock SS went 2:08:50, the modified SS did 2:02, and the 1LE went 2:00.

With my driving skills, I'd personally take the 6+ second improvement over stock instead of trying to trade or sell/buy.
Note that the SS springs are sold as "lowering springs". They probably do not improve handling all that much, would a true road race spring bring the 2 second spread closer? or even stock 1LE springs with a good set of dampers or DSV setup which is sold by GM as an upgrade to the 1LE spec. The basic question is the how much better is the ediff? Is a SS with ZL1-1LE springs, bars and DSV, 1LE rims and tires equal to a true 1LE? My bet is they are close.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote