Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Weighted Shift Knob

Sorry, this post is much longer than I thought it would be.

I purchased a weighted shift knob about 2 weeks ago, and have been driving with it for the past week.
I will leave a link where I purchased it from at the bottom above the pics.

Now I know some of you may disagree, some may agree while others may be on the fence, about a heavier shift knob.

So this is just my experience with weighted shift knobs, and not so much a DIY on how to install. Although I will mention a few things about the install with pics.

I decided to install the weighted shift knob, because I use to have one on my BMWs in the early 2000. Prior to the weighted knob and changing the trans fluid, the BMWs felt pretty much the same as the SS 1LE.

So I thought I should do the same with the SS and see if the outcome was the same as my BMWs, with ease of shifting and no notchiness while shifting from one gear to the next...and IT DOES!
Clicky T Click...

I purchased the knob from a company called Raceseng, a family owned company...Father and Son.
They are very responsive to your inquiries, very communicative, which made me feel comfortable about the company.

The packaging was great (sorry no pics) and the product is 1st class. They even give you a boot (cover) to go over your knob, which I guess would help with heat problems from the sun...I don't have that problem. The knob feels warm at touch, but not sizzling!

You also get the tools needed to install the knob, basically an L end wrench. Loctite NOT included.

Word of warning here: when screwing on the knob to the adapter, be careful you don't cross thread the adapter. This is the last thing you will do. During the orientation process, you can screw the adapter onto the knob with no problems.

These are two different metals, the adapter looks to be aluminum, and the knob is SS. A new adapter will run you $20, which would be cheaper than re-threading it again, since the tools will almost cost the same, and you'll need to do the work.

This happened to me, but I just used a fine file and doctored up the threading...worked fine!

For some reason, screwing the adapter into the knob is no problem, but when screwing the knob onto the adapter that's when it became difficult..actually this was the most time consuming part.

Over-all the install should only take you about 30min if all goes well.
Difficulty scale... little easier than installing spark plugs or your Roto-Fab CAI.
The knob does come with directions, and they have it on their website too!

They have a multitude of knobs to choose from, with different weights and colors. The most only colors are White, Blue, Red and Black on certain knob styles.

I purchased the Ashiko Gloss in White. It also comes in translucent, just not in white. They have a custom shop, but basically all the knobs are rainbow colored. They do not do custom orders in that sense of custom.

Here's the info on the pics in the order they appear:
1. Adapter
2. Set screws and Blue Loctite
3. OEM knob removed showing locking ring
4. OEM locking ring unlocked and ready to remove
5. OEM knob with locking ring removed
6. OEM knob showing what's locking the ring on the knob
7. OEM knob parts removed - Locking ring, collar and knob
8. OEM knob remove from shifter - micro towel is there to prevent parts from falling into the black hole!
9. Raceseng Adapter installed
10. Raceseng Adapter and OEM Boot installed
11. Raceseng knob orientation process
12. Raceseng knob installed
13. OEM knob in gram weight
14. OEM knob in OZ weight
15. Raceseng knob in gram weight
16. Raceseng knob in lb/oz weight
17. Scale info...just thought I'd add this...the wifes cooking scale
18. Finale Outcome! (almost forgot this pic!)

https://www.raceseng.com/products/sh.../camaro-ss-zl1
Attached Images

Last edited by OVRKLL; 08-02-2020 at 08:02 PM.
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Looks good OVRKLL! That’s a nice how-to you generated. Did the adapter install over the shifter easily or did it have any resistance?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Looks good OVRKLL! That’s a nice how-to you generated. Did the adapter install over the shifter easily or did it have any resistance?
Thanks Trochoidal!
Yes, the adapter slide over the shifter shaft very easily and snug. It was not loose, and the four set screws will hold the adapter in tightly.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
I love your write up on Raceseng's weighted shifters, it was reading this thread that got me to go ahead and pull the trigger on one for my car, I was heavily debating between the Ashiko and Prolix, since those are the heavier ones they offer, I wanted the Ashiko for being the heaviest but I didn't want my snifter sitting shorter than stock, I like having my travel distance from steering wheel to shifter shorter than having the feeling of a shorter throw at the expense of reaching farther for my shifter...

So i went with the Prolix in Red Translucent, should be arriving via UPS today, I'm excited to give it a go I can't stand the notchiness from first to second gear, so I look forward to that being diminished.

EDIT:

I AM IN LOVE! The red translucent finish is beautiful, i cant wait to install it soon as i'm off work
Attached Images

Last edited by Techn9cian805; 08-07-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
I love your write up on Raceseng's weighted shifters, it was reading this thread that got me to go ahead and pull the trigger on one for my car, I was heavily debating between the Ashiko and Prolix, since those are the heavier ones they offer, I wanted the Ashiko for being the heaviest but I didn't want my snifter sitting shorter than stock, I like having my travel distance from steering wheel to shifter shorter than having the feeling of a shorter throw at the expense of reaching farther for my shifter...

So i went with the Prolix in Red Translucent, should be arriving via UPS today, I'm excited to give it a go I can't stand the notchiness from first to second gear, so I look forward to that being diminished.

EDIT:

I AM IN LOVE! The red translucent finish is beautiful, i cant wait to install it soon as i'm off work
Thanks for the comps!

At first I was going to get the Red Translucent, but then nothing is really red in my interior, and since I do have some white threading I went with white.
That is one nice knob, and also almost purchased that style since it's round, unlike the Ashiko, it does have a tapered edge to it...but I love the weight!
That knob almost looks like it has a light in it, especially when you twirl it!
Be easy on the adapter at the last step when mounting the knob onto the adapter.
Happy Driving!
Old 08-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Thanks for the comps!

At first I was going to get the Red Translucent, but then nothing is really red in my interior, and since I do have some white threading I went with white.
That is one nice knob, and also almost purchased that style since it's round, unlike the Ashiko, it does have a tapered edge to it...but I love the weight!
That knob almost looks like it has a light in it, especially when you twirl it!
Be easy on the adapter at the last step when mounting the knob onto the adapter.
Happy Driving!
I was thinking the same, then i remembered i at some point saw someone else on the forums show how they went along all the interior threading with a red paint marker, and I’m going to go ahead and do it already, I’ve had my car going on 4 years now and I’m barely checking off my wishlist lol
Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
OVRKLL

If anyone is interested or thinking of purchasing a weighted shift knob from Raceng, they just sent me a 5% discount code anyone can use.
Here is the code:

REFER\REVISIT
Happy shifting!
Techn9cian805 - Did you install the knob yet?
If so, what's the Good, Bad, Ugly?
Old 10-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Just ordered a custom Topology(blue translucent, black cover,gate 2)with the discount code. Thanks.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
BlkNight_18

Drives: 18' 2SS M6 Triple Black
I just ordered one from Speed Dawgs. It should be here in a few days. I am looking forward to getting ride of the stock shifter look...
BlkNight_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Quote:

Techn9cian805 - Did you install the knob yet?
If so, what's the Good, Bad, Ugly?
oops, forgot to update

The Good: Everything lol, it was easy enough to install, and I immediately noticed a difference in feel when sliding from gear to gear, it reduced some of the notchiness, and makes shifting feel much smoother and just overall more enjoyable and satisfying-feeling, I think this combined with a short throw shifter would be amazing, but that's in the future...

The Bad: I had to think about this one... I honestly can't think of any that I would call "bad"... The shifter is metal, so on hot days, you'll definitely want to remember to use the included pouch to cover the knob or else your hand is gonna get scorched lol ask me how I learned that lesson... so I guess the bad thing is dealing with that, but as for having a weighted shifter, I don't see any bad to it, I have no desire to go back to stock.

The Ugly: The engraved shift pattern which is optional, you can have it without, I chose with it, and think it would be nice if the engraved pattern could be filled in with some black epoxy maybe to give it a clean finished look instead.

I have since added the Raceseng shift knob extender because as a former truck driver, I miss the feel of having a tall shifter and with a long throw which I know I know that won't help me win any fast shift races lol but I don't care, I like having less travel from steering wheel to shifter, I can comfortably shift without reaching as far down for my shifter which is a big plus for comfort, and switching back to stock height is just a simple screw and unscrew away I'm overall happy with my Raceseng goodies, while a bit pricy, you do get a quality fitting shift knob and the added weight feels awesome.
Attached Images

Last edited by Techn9cian805; 10-27-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #11
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Sorry, this post is much longer than I thought it would be.

I purchased a weighted shift knob about 2 weeks ago, and have been driving with it for the past week.
I will leave a link where I purchased it from at the bottom above the pics.

Now I know some of you may disagree, some may agree while others may be on the fence, about a heavier shift knob.

So this is just my experience with weighted shift knobs, and not so much a DIY on how to install. Although I will mention a few things about the install with pics.

I decided to install the weighted shift knob, because I use to have one on my BMWs in the early 2000. Prior to the weighted knob and changing the trans fluid, the BMWs felt pretty much the same as the SS 1LE.

So I thought I should do the same with the SS and see if the outcome was the same as my BMWs, with ease of shifting and no notchiness while shifting from one gear to the next...and IT DOES!
Clicky T Click...

I purchased the knob from a company called Raceseng, a family owned company...Father and Son.
They are very responsive to your inquiries, very communicative, which made me feel comfortable about the company.

The packaging was great (sorry no pics) and the product is 1st class. They even give you a boot (cover) to go over your knob, which I guess would help with heat problems from the sun...I don't have that problem. The knob feels warm at touch, but not sizzling!

You also get the tools needed to install the knob, basically an L end wrench. Loctite NOT included.

Word of warning here: when screwing on the knob to the adapter, be careful you don't cross thread the adapter. This is the last thing you will do. During the orientation process, you can screw the adapter onto the knob with no problems.

These are two different metals, the adapter looks to be aluminum, and the knob is SS. A new adapter will run you $20, which would be cheaper than re-threading it again, since the tools will almost cost the same, and you'll need to do the work.

This happened to me, but I just used a fine file and doctored up the threading...worked fine!

For some reason, screwing the adapter into the knob is no problem, but when screwing the knob onto the adapter that's when it became difficult..actually this was the most time consuming part.

Over-all the install should only take you about 30min if all goes well.
Difficulty scale... little easier than installing spark plugs or your Roto-Fab CAI.
The knob does come with directions, and they have it on their website too!

They have a multitude of knobs to choose from, with different weights and colors. The most only colors are White, Blue, Red and Black on certain knob styles.

I purchased the Ashiko Gloss in White. It also comes in translucent, just not in white. They have a custom shop, but basically all the knobs are rainbow colored. They do not do custom orders in that sense of custom.

Here's the info on the pics in the order they appear:
1. Adapter
2. Set screws and Blue Loctite
3. OEM knob removed showing locking ring
4. OEM locking ring unlocked and ready to remove
5. OEM knob with locking ring removed
6. OEM knob showing what's locking the ring on the knob
7. OEM knob parts removed - Locking ring, collar and knob
8. OEM knob remove from shifter - micro towel is there to prevent parts from falling into the black hole!
9. Raceseng Adapter installed
10. Raceseng Adapter and OEM Boot installed
11. Raceseng knob orientation process
12. Raceseng knob installed
13. OEM knob in gram weight
14. OEM knob in OZ weight
15. Raceseng knob in gram weight
16. Raceseng knob in lb/oz weight
17. Scale info...just thought I'd add this...the wifes cooking scale
18. Finale Outcome! (almost forgot this pic!)

https://www.raceseng.com/products/sh.../camaro-ss-zl1

How did you separate the boot from the black plastic ring?
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote